Skip to content

Retained or Release

Comments

• Who we let go signals what our aspirations are.

Our excellent scouting system will have identified suitably Wycombe targets

and we will now be an attractive proposition for a certain type of player.

Can’t see Horgan being retained, his wages to performance ratio suggests it hasn’t quite worked.

Stewart will want to stay and we need three decent centre backs.

Gape has earned an extension, great run in when it looked to be over for him.

Wing hasn’t really lit the place up, there are better cheaper options I would imagine.

Hanlan is an enigma. Hasn’t really improved under Gaz and I’m sure that consistency was what we were looking for. Give him a year but he needs to deliver.

All the kids that haven’t broken through can go, football is cruel.

And then there is the really tough one - JJ. Of course the heart says a year as back up but that is mid table thinking, the promotion challenging head says that, as a statement of intent, we literally need fresh legs. Who would be a manager.

• I don’t think we’re in the market for loanee ‘keepers any more (or for loanees generally). MK Dongs had four or five 19/20 year old Premier League loanees in their playoff team and it very nearly worked, to be fair, but it seems clear that development now takes precedence at Adams Park.

• Out of all the youngsters I'd say Penders deserves another year, can obviously score goals and Linton scored goals in the National league in a poor team so I'd say deserves another year as well. Also Parsons has shown enough few glimpses here and there to warrant one more year.

As for senior spots, hate to say it but I'd be looking at the full backs.

• Only one full-back is OOC

• Hanlan has not improved??? really ? he has been exceptional for us , even though he only played for 20 odd minutes on Saturday he was stand out

• Yeah I know, just would be nice to get someone who can cross the ball

• Did we have any outfield loan players this past season ?

• Was bemused by that post. Maybe it's out of sight out of mind and memory for some.

• Only Young, but then he got made permanent within a matter of weeks

• I am responding despite the expectation that the usual suspects will pile in defending a player I have already said deserves a one year extension, but here goes.

Hanlan joined us as a player who could turn his man beat him for pace and then 70:30 fluff his chance or score a worldy. Unproven at high League One level. A player with potential . He remains exactly that.

Our best chance at 1:0 (after he got a lucky rebound) was when he failed to calmly lift his head and pick a pass to two in the box in a better position to score, his style of play in a nut shell.

If anyone sees a different player to this, enlighten me.

• To summarise, like a few players current and past, if he did score those chances every time he wouldn't be playing for us.

Unique position to be in this season. Pushing right to the death for promotion and not a single loan player. When you look at Franchise and their dependency on loanees you wonder if this was a strategy around the psychology of the squad or a lack of ability to land loan players.

• edited May 2022

Hanlan had 12 goal involvements at 0.45/90 - fractionally less than McCleary - and looks a threat every time he runs with the ball. His decision-making isn't perfect, but find me a League One player whose is.

• And the initial loan status could well have been on a technicality, given the last minute rush. The award of a three year (?) contract shows that he is seen as a bit special and he certainly impressed in a couple of cameo appearances. I’m disregarding the B&B game at Crendon when he apparently controlled the midfield as everyone would be queuing up to ask me what I expected!

• Hard to imagine we'll start next season with Gape, Thommo, Wing, Young and Penders all competing for a spot alongside Scowen.

• edited May 2022

So according to the EFL rules, the squad size limit is still 22 outfield players aged 21 or over* (excluding loanees). Players currently contracted to at least end of next season who would count towards that limit:

1. McCarthy
    2. Grimmer
    3. Forino
    4. Tafazolli
    5. Wakely
    6. Obita
    7. Scowen
    8. Thompson
    9. Freeman
    10. Young
    11. Wheeler
    12. Mehmeti (10 days younger and he'd be exempt ffs)
    13. Kaikai
    14. McCleary
    15. Vokes
    16. Hanlan

Extending Stewart, JJ, Gape, Wing and Horgan would leave us with one free over 21 spot. All the development outfield players apart from Pendlebury (unclear whether he's OOC or not?), Leathers and AAH (who's got another year on his contract anyway) would count towards the limit.

*on 1st January of the year in which the season starts, as far as I'm aware

• I think that's everyone covered! It's quite crazy that we're now at the point where we have players who it's easy to forget exist.

• I think shooting was the best option, it just needed to be a better shot.

• Keeping my fingers crossed that we can keep Horgan. Besides being a decent creative player in the squad, I have his name and number on my away shirt 😂

• So mawsons been released on a free, 4 years after signing for £20m (that actually blows my mind) and there’s been some rumours of him signing a contract with us when he visited a few weeks back.

so the question is, addition or replace one of the ooc, IF the rumours are true, and which one?

• Really useful. Thanks.

So basically our development squad players have got a tough job staying on unless they are happy to be outside the assigned squad.

Did I read it right that all loan players are in addition to the 22?

• edited May 2022

Sorry, same rules apply to loanees (which is actually more lenient than in the Champ, where loanees count towards the limit regardless of age)

• edited May 2022

Hanlan has been outstanding this season. Don't know what you've been watching

• edited May 2022

How on earth are you not rating Vokes spark through on goal centrally one on one not our best chance?

Instead you've picked up on Hanlan who you may remember made the chance from utterly nothing himself.

You might also remember Hanlan had been out a month so may just may be slightly rusty.

• I’m pleased that the new look thread above shows the first three lines of the quoted reference. Like it says ‘usual suspects’. I could call the sky blue and @Malone would argue but clouds are white!

• edited May 2022

Gaz knows what he is doing and had chosen not to start Hanlan even before his injury.

• Win Saturday - the ink would already be drying. Lose Saturday and we are looking at a player we can't afford. He is still a Championship player and will walk into many clubs.

Plus Derby will want to sign him. They are being linked with every other player regardless of the embargo word.

• I’d have said the same with Vokes (re win Saturday etc).

my bigger concern is Mawsons injury record and severity. Fulham have written off a 20m loss there

• Mehmeti was still 20 on 1st January this year, so he shouldn't be counted as part of the list. Stockdale can take his spot so it still leaves just one space open assuming Horgan, Kaikai and Tafazolli all stay.