Skip to content

Retained or Release

Comments

• I would imagine the people criticising Hanlan are very low in number.

• edited May 2022

You say that, but his current wage is now zero. He may well not walk into other clubs after an injury hit few years.

Just hope he doesn't go to a different league 1 team. That'd feel bad.

• edited May 2022

So he was, my bad!

Stocko doesn't need to take anyone's spot as GKs don't count

• I believe Mawson has been training with us but that his knee is shot. I suspect if he plays for us it would be pay per play at best. I don't think with the small squad size now imposed on L1 that we can take the risk. Happy to be proven wrong if the medical team think otherwise, as at his best he is different class.

• edited May 2022

Such a shame if that's true, only 28 - probably would have got England caps had he had a good run

• a certain Darius Charles was told he couldn’t play football, and with managing, was excellent for us.

i’d have confident our team could eek out a decent number of games if they are confident it’s in there to come out.

• Terry Evans never used to train either did he?

• Ledley King never trained. Kashket, Bayo and Darius were carefully managed.

Shame these 22 man squads really limit taking chances. Really beginning to think this is why the Conference is so strong. So many senior players looking for a contract.

• It's a bit more simplistic than that. The conference is so strong because ££££

• Some things on the Hanlan debate...

1. I've never known a player who comes away with the ball from a pinball bundle through a bunch of players as often as Hanlan does. It's pretty much his signature move at this point, so "lucky rebound" is either very unfair, or he actually knows what he's doing in those situations.
    2. Yes, his finishing leaves a little to be desired, but if he could do the pinball thing and stick it in the net every time he'd be at Barcelona.
    3. The sky is not blue, that's light refraction making you think it is.
  • It'd have been amazing if Hanlan had scored or set a goal up after his run, but no-one else in the squad would have stormed through with that pace and power to create the chance in the first place.

• Can anyone explain why Gaz dropped Mustard before he got injured in training? Where did that run without a win fit with this?

• I think what @perfidious_albion is saying is Hanlan is no The Player.

I think he's quite an exciting player myself.

• I might have got very confused but why is Hanlan featuring in this chat so much? He's not out of contract and I don't think the club have any plans to sell or move him on.....?

I would class him as a modern day McSporran. He's quick, agile and direct but needs to work on his consistency and fitness.

Wycombe have always had a striker leader with players like Scott, Devine, McGleish, Rammell, Mooney & Bayo. Are we agreed that Vokes can be added to that list or will be added to that list over the next year (or more?)

• edited May 2022

How does Hanlan need to work on his fitness? He's had one short spell out since he got here and that's cause he got crunched by a Wimbledon player. No issues with consistency either.

• 1 is a great point. You can see from his chance at Wembley, his assist v Plymouth, and goals through the season that he is exceptional at picking up a bobbling ball and racing through.

His decision making is what needs to improve, again shown by that chance at Wembley. The best and worst of racing away, and then taking a poor shot instead of a cut back

• Ok, maybe I was wrong about my fitness comment @ReturnToSenda, I apologise

• Mcleary and Horgan have been keeping Hanlan and KaiKai out of the side. I thought Hanlan was another Ikpeazu when we bought him but he obviously works better wide. Talking of Uche...I wonder if he wishes he had stayed to play in front of the AP faithful now.

• When we were playing wing backs, we were "getting away" with having one centre mid. That meant we could pack in Vokes, McCleary, Hanlan, Horgan and Mehmeti.

When we tightened up the centre mid, something had to give from the attacking 5.

Form and fitness come and go. Horgan for example had long spells out of the side, but nailed his place the last couple of months.

• As someone else said, Horgan didn’t look too happy when he was subbed at Wembley. That could be construed as a good sign - very keen to give more for the cause - or a bad sign as in “what do I have to do to convince GA that I’m worth keeping on”. Having said that, he is probably the least expressive player (facially) in the squad (and least injury prone, interestingly - can’t remember ever having seen him even getting treatment on the pitch !) so he’s a challenge to the body language experts.

He may be perfectly happy at Adams Park. I certainly hope so.

• I think that when we signed Horgan we all assumed we were signing a flying winger who would be delivering crosses, ie the guy who tore us apart for Preston. Never saw that at all. Instead we got a variety of roles and maybe that is why he never became the fan favourite I hoped he would be.

I'm not across his stats but my guessing is that his goal involvement is not in the same league as most of our attacking players. His goals scored record speaks for itself.

In another team in another role he will rip it up I'm sure. But if it's between him and a couple of raw attacking players who have to drop down a level its the latter for me.

• Slightly surprised about Pendlebury but not the rest https://www.wwfc.com/news/2022/may/24/six-depart-adams-park/

• Disappointed by Pendlebury. Came in, scored 2, didn't seem to do anything wrong, disappeared. We can't see what the staff see so ...

Also Burley was the next big thing and then his career stalled. Hope they get sorted somewhere.

• Such a shame about Pendlebury, was solid when he played and who can forget that game against Cheltenham! Can only imagine it’s because we’ve got so much quality in his position now, that it’s unlikely he’ll break into the first team. Real shame though, I’m sure he’ll have a great career.

• No real surprises there. I guess the writing was on the wall for Penders when we signed Young. It’s a shame for him but GA has seen him more than we have.

I’d have given Linton another year, but hopefully he’ll find a home in the NL.

• Interesting that so many have departed from the development squad.

Wakely, De Barr, Leathers, Parsons, Al Hamadi are all retained or have I missed other news about them either departing or having longer contracts.

Are development squad contracts until end of May?

Be interesting to see what happens with the first team squad.

• De Barr and Parsons are weird ones as they're both OOC and old enough to count towards the squad size limit

• Earmarked for extensions and loans I guess