Skip to content

Retained or Release

167891012»

Comments

• edited June 2022

One of the highlights of the season for me was seeing Horgan sprint off the pitch like Usain Bolt when subbed while we were chasing the game. Proof, if it were needed, that he's Wycombe in the Gaz/Dobbo mould through and through.

• Some of the things Horgan has done for us this past season have been brilliant. A lot of the 'ordinary' things he does very regularly during the game seem to be imperceptible to some, but are the essentials of his USP - to hold our attacking play together and seek out new angles of attack. Going back to stats for a second, he's just about our most accurate passer. I agree with @Malone that Horgan, GMac and Mehmessi in the same team is highly desirable - e.g. Cambridge away (which also featured Wing). I'd love to see Hanlan in there too, but I just don't see where he fits... And that's just down to excellent squad strength.

• I'd like to see Hanlan given a chance down the middle more often when Vokes is tiring. Hanlan barreling down the centre towards knackered centre backs would scare the crap out of them, plus his knack of coming away with the ball from a lucky bobble would leave him with just the keeper to beat.

• The trouble is with Hanlan in the middle we don’t have the focus for aerial balls which is so much of our game plan. Perhaps if Wheeler was one of the other attackers this would work as we would still have an outlet.

• I agree with both of the above...

• Wheeler can out-jump centre midfielders and full backs. Wheeler can't outclimb 6'2+ centre halves. I would not like to see Hanlan down the middle unless it involved Vokes and Hanlan in a 442.

• He might have been desperate for the little boys room!

• Wasn't Kaikai described as a striker when we bought him? Even though the highlights reel accompanying his signing suggested he was most potent collecting the ball out wide then running into the box with it... which is certainly where he showed his flashes of brilliance for us. Nethertheless it would be interesting to see him played upfront with Vokes in a 442. Against weaker opponents you could imagine a midfield of Mehmeti, Horgan, Scowen, McCleary and then Vokes and Kaikai up front with goals pouring in (not all necessarily for us!)

• Who are these weaker opponents? (Apart ftom Plymouth of course)

Where were they last season?

• Kaikai has never been a striker. Apparently his preferred position is as a number 10, but he's spent most of his career out wide.

• At the end of the day it's a team that win games, not individuals. If we're not performing then it is quite possibly an adjustment required elsewhere in order to facilitate the progress in attack/defence. Credit must also be given to the opposition for clever tactics/team selection. We achieve this often enough at our level. As a small club/team/budget we will always have to punch above our weight to even survive in League 1 let alone gain promotion. Our team essentially begins with Gaz/Dobbo and simply dozens of others, playing or otherwise, contribute. Love to talk football but let's not overdo criticism of individuals. Are we all at the top of our game every day?

• Good additions to strengthen would of course be welcome but I'm quite happy with the squad if there were none. Eternal optimist I know...

• First day of training there will be a pile of players turning up on trial. Then it’s “pick yer rough diamond out of that lot”. The fun comes when Gaz talks to @bluntphil with a glint in his eye and says “I think we might just have found one!”

• Or the day that Paul Hayes said "we can't believe we've got him" in reference to the signing of Max Muller !!

I think Max Miller would have been preferable.

• Think we all thought Max would be better at corners.

• It was a mixture of that comment, plus the 6months we had to wait to get him fit that have him an impossible level to live up to.

• It's difficult for an oil tanker to turn let alone jump?

• Yes, the "Hillbottom Beckenbauer" was a bit of a let down

• Have a feeling your witticism may have fallen on stoney ground, @perfidious_albion .

• Thanks @micra for acknowledging my rather lame observation.

• Nobody 'parps' the Komedy Klaxon anymore 😕

• Regardless of what Horgan does (or doesn't) do on the pitch, he's somehow created a mini gasroom army that will defend him to the hilt. Impressive.

• Quality players do tend to be appreciated by fans, yes.

• Opinions eh? How dare anyone have an opinion you disagree with.

I’m part of the Horgan gasroom army. Doesn’t look or feel mini from where I am standing.

• Some people on this football forum rate him as a player and some feel he lacks something. I did not realise either side of the discussion were recruiting an army.