Skip to content

Retained or Release

Comments

• edited May 2022

Contracted to end of next season - was OOC this summer but got extended after his injury

• edited May 2022

I'm led to believe that we have a good relationship with Norwich and that's where the tip came from.

• edited May 2022

I'm not saying I want to get rid of Grimmer or McCarthy... but if we could find a right back who can cross it would be great, perhaps they could just spend the pre season practicing whipping crosses in rather than floating them 20 yards up in the air for the keeper to catch

• Until The Player, Ruth, the emergency goalkeeper and Dave Tarpey line up for the friendly against Barcelona, I will have a speculation free summer.

• Big thing for me is getting more athleticism into the team. Aside from the centre backs only Hanlan really offers a combination of genuine pace and power. Mehmeti, Horgan and GMac all tricky in their own way but we lack strong runners behind Vokes.

Likewise, Gape, Thomo, Scowen and Wing are tenacious but at times struggle to cover the ground in midfield. We could do with a rangey midfielder able to carry the ball for 20-30 yards up the field in my view.

Overall I think the team is pretty well balanced but I think when we struggle it’s often because we look a bit leggy and lacking in running power.

Quite a tricky summer in which the outgoing list will be just as critical as the incoming. For me the biggest priority is an alternative to Vokes, ideally one that could play in a front two with him required. As it stands if Vokesy were to get injured we’d be stuffed.

• Would be nice to see us play with a front two a bit more. Vokes was desperately isolated at times yesterday and given his lack of pace isn’t going to get behind the defence.

Surely Hanlan’s just the right player isn’t he?

• Hanlan will be a huge player for us next year. Just 20mins or so yesterday showed the threat he offers no-one else we have does.

• Are we writing off Al-Hamadi as a breakthrough next season?

• I think so has he hasn't been outstanding in his loan move. While the extra attention and following that he brings to the club can produce money, he isn't a Bayo who backs it up with a performance of quality

• Have we got a list of players that are 100% OOC? There's a lot of uncertainty. This whole discussion is pretty worthless otherwise.

• edited May 2022

To the best of my knowledge (had to have a bit of a trawl as Transfermarkt isn't fully up-to-date and isn't always accurate anyway)...

• Stockdale
    • Przybek
    • Dickinson
    • Stewart
    • Burley
    • Ram
    • Jacobson
    • Gape
    • Leathers
    • Fischer
    • Horgan
    • Parsons
    • De Barr
    • Linton
  • Busy couple of weeks ahead really.

You'd expect some news of retained players to start emerging, plus season ticket sales opening, and a new shirt at some point soon too.

• I expect we'll get the retained list in the next dew days

• Season ticket prices the same. Those of us on subscription have no news to receive I guess.

• Gareth saying we have a "few contracts and bits to sort out" on his interview.

Fixtures out June 16th is it?

• I should have worded it differently...when season tickets are available to buy for non subscribers.

• I think Stewart will go unfortunately. I reckon he may have been the one that we had a cash offer for when we announced the new contracts of Thompson, McCleary etc. Could be a reason that he was "injured" (just my own speculation by the way).

We have to keep hold of Taff and sign another - hopefully Mawson.

Out of the above list, can't comment on the younger lot but really don't know what we are going to do with Gape, Horgan, Stocko and JJ. I want them all to stay but not if they are going to block us getting new players.

Biggest signing for us is Vokes. Not easy to replace 15-20 goals a season without splashing cash. If we can get another on a free (Stockton?) plus get Hanlan playing again, we will be up there.

• edited May 2022

I just hope that any deal for Mawson wasn't dependant on the division we play in. Same with any other signings too.

JJ not being given another year would be a big shock, the last interview I saw him give was saying he'd been here 8 years and looked forward to "many years" more.

Horgan really is a 50-50.

• Don’t think anyone’s writing off Al Hamadi at all. Played 90 minutes as Bromley won the FA Trophy at Wembley today beating Wrexham in a bit of a surprise result. He’s not done bad in his first real stab at first team football.

Linton didn’t do bad at Kings Lynn either. Without his end of season injury he’d have ended up getting into double figures for goals in a poor National League team that ended up getting relegated. 6ft plus 21 year old forwards that can lead the line and score a few goals aren’t ten a penny are they?

More to come from both I hope.

• Better value options than Stockton around - he's still under contract and Morecambe will probably hold out for £500k+

• Moves will surely depend on alternatives available? Horgan is moot and if we can find a better attacking mid/number 10 then sign him.

We started last season with 3 at the back and ended it 4-2-3-1. I think Gaz might try 4-4-2 next season, which means Obita covers left back and we buy a new left winger. MacCleary right wing and Wing plus Scowen or Gape as Centre mids as it is a more attacking option.

Keep Stewart as Centre Back cover but start Forino and Taff. Grimmer may start right back in a 4-4-2, alongside Obita, Taff & Forino.

and sign a new striker to replace Bayo. Hanlan is great but doesn’t score enough goals…yet!

Keep Stocko based on the whole season.

Probably keeps JJ but more as back up (lower wage offer plus appearance money). And he hasn’t announced his farewell yet so how could we not renew?

• edited May 2022

I reckon Gape will be given a 1 yr deal based on a lower wage and high appearence fee to get him to have a fully fit season.

I really want Stewart to stay too, he a different gravy at the back and proved it at Wembley. I can't see Mawson coming to us. Coming down from a Championship squad to us might be too many steps down for him (however I'd love to see it happen)

Also keep Stockdale however I'd like GA to try and give one of our other keepers some game time so we & they are confident they can step-up if they were needed.

I hope GA is on the look-out for youth options, we have quite an old squad and need some new, young energy to give us more options in the final third.

• The age of the development players will have an impact. With the limit on over 21's in the first team squad anyone reaching that point will have to prove worthy of a spot.

• I think we need to freshen up the squad with 4 or 5 new signings. Obviously one will be a Bayo replacement (probably the most difficult as no comparable player around). To get say 4 additional new signings space has to be freed up by releasing a similar number.

I would let Horgan, De Barr, Gape (assuming Thompson is fully fit) and Grimmer go. Whilst I am a Stockdale fan, I would consider letting him go if a quality loanee keeper could be brought in in the Blackman mould. Finally, I think Forino has to become an automatic starter to develop his career so the question will be whether Stewart is prepared to be generally back up.

• edited May 2022

To me, Anthony Stewart is Matt Bloomfield’s natural successor as “Mr Wycombe” and I’ll be very sad if he moves on but the fact is that, in Chris Forino, we have a big star in the making and the Tafazolli/Forino combination has the look of some of the great centre back pairings we’ve enjoyed in the past. Both will also score goals and, from what we’ve heard recently about Tafazolli’s role in very vocally organising his fellow defenders, he would seem to be a leading candidate for the captaincy.

I agree with those who’ve implied that we have a surfeit of small ankle biting midfielders but Curtis Thompson had been our star midfielder for several seasons before the recent injury problems reduced his appearances so drastically. That, to me, underlines the need to balance the midfield with someone like Lewis Wing who is composed on the ball, can pick a pass and likes to shoot from outside the box. But I suspect his signing (late on 31 January) was essentially to plug the gap in midfield arising from the repeated breakdowns from injury of Gape and Thompson. Nick Freeman may not be as much of a sharpshooter as Lewis Wing but, in other respects, he looks the natural successor.

Up front? Not at all sure but Brandon Hanlan showed at Wembley what a handful he can be when he gets the ball on the left hand touchline and miraculously squirms past and outpaces defenders in the tightest of situations. He was sadly missed during the run-in.

Mehmeti for Horgan unless the recent injury problems (remember the leg strapping for at least a month earlier this year) are in the same recurring category as those suffered by Scott Kashket a few years ago. In this respect, Horgan has a clear advantage. I can’t remember him ever being unavailable through injury or even needing treatment on the pitch. Remarkable.

• edited May 2022

• Horgan and Wheeler are both reliable players who will always do what the manager asks them. In form they can both be dangerous at League 1 level as well. But if we are hoping to push to the upper echelons of this division we may be looking to upgrade.

Stewart, Tafazolli and Forino are all superb- we will hopefully have all three at the club next season.

I'd argue Hanlan, Mehmeti and McCleary are our really creative players but there's definitely room for something else to help unlock defences. A player like Alex Pritchard (clearly he's too good) or someone with a range of passing wouldn't go amiss. Maybe Wing can do that?

• I really hope Wing will stay.