Skip to content

Retained or Release

Comments

• Me too. One day my ‘feed the Horgs and he will score’ chant will reap dividends.

• You would assume JJ and Stocko would be 1 year contracts. Interesting to know what’s being offered to the other guys. Not sure 1 year deals would be particularly attractive and they would look around.

• They could well be one year on reduced terms

• Not saying it’s the case here but it is not unknown for clubs to exercise an option on a contract gambling that that way they can get a transfer fee.

• A little guy with an eye for goal he’ll be Wycombes Zola. If he likes cheese we’ll call him Horganzola

• I cannot even put into words how delighted I am that Horgan is staying...!!!

If it wasn't so expensively geared towards corporate or group sponsorship, I'd bloody well sponsor him for next season!

• PJSPJS
    edited May 2022

How good is that going into preseason with a fully established squad - we have come a long way since the start of the 19/20 season!

• Definitely. He already organises the defence very vocally. Like the guy a few seasons back whose name I’ve forgotten but taller and more mobile. Stocky fella, left suddenly with the advent of Darius Charles’ Indian summer and fetched up with Stevenage.

• I agree with your comment but we aren't definitely going in with a full squad - the others haven't signed yet.

I anticipate at least one or two making way. Otherwise it means no new signings.

• For a small run of games, he and Scowen looked superb in there. Hopefully our offer is a tempting one.

• I reckon our offer is an "offer" and that's it. His injury record does nothing to suggest he is due a pay increase and I'm sure Gape is humble enough to accept that. Perhaps performance related. I also wouldn't have thought he will get many offers elsewhere.

• I reckon Gape will be offered a heavy pay as you play deal. GA trusted him for all of the playoff matches over Wheeler and I think he'll want him to stay. Remember, he has signed him twice already!

• The comment I responded to was talking about Wing, not Gape.

I think Gape is very fortunate that Wing got that red when he did, as it allowed Gape a run of games to prove his worth. Which I think he did, and has rightly been offered a deal. Before that run of games it was looking really ropey for him.

• He'll have been offered a proper contract. Pay as you play is for extreme cases like Darius Charles - who we then gave a proper contract anyway, did we not?

• @ReturnToSenda we did but I think Gape knows that he & his body need to prove themselves before GA & Rob will think about a proper contract. Or it'll be a 6 month deal with the same aim

• A 6 month deal for Gape would be a bit of an insult given his service to the club. As RTS says, it’ll be a proper contract and at least 1 year, GA wouldn’t do him the disservice of offering less than that, and if he did, we wouldn’t have the culture we do.

• I really don't think pay as you play contracts are a thing apart from in extreme cases like Charles or 40-something journeymen?

• Not too sure the club benefit from anything more when he is out injured for 6 months of a 12 month contract. I think 6 months with an extention clause is fair enough considering he probably would have been released otherwise.

• I wpuld he happy if all.of the present squad stayed...but if they didn't remain confident Gareth and Dobbo will sort it. What a great position to be in! Although no new players will get some posters' blood boiling....

• There's no chance we put a mid 20s player who has been here numerous years on some short term pay per play deal.

Some people have been playing too many football management games.

• Absolutely, @Wendoverman - back in 1992 we made no summer signings after finishing joint top of the Conference with Col U and after a 1-1 away draw to start the season we won 9 on the bounce, going on to win the Conference and promotion to Div 4.

• Hard to remember the sheer shock and joy when Gape agreed to sign for us. For where we were at the time it was a real vote of confidence in us as a team and GA as a manager.

hard to imagine us insulting him with a short-term or pay as you play contract. He more than proved his worth at the end of the season.

on the subject of which… I am also really pleased that Horgan will still be here (presumably) next season. He does make such a difference to how we move the ball in the opponents half and was vital to our good form at the start and finish of the season

• edited May 2022

With togetherness of the squad such a big thing, and GA previously saying that it's as important to look after the players you have as it is to get in the right character of new player, it's no surprise to see we might start the season with pretty much the same squad that finished the last one (minus Bayo, who we knew was retiring).

I can't not see Gape, JJ and Stockdale accepting an offer and staying - although if they've only been offered a 1 year deal, it's possible somewhere else might offer them 2 years.

Its only Wing and Stewart (sadly) who I think we might see going.

Still change isn't always a bad thing. A year ago we were all worrying that Bayo would be retiring and where were we going to find a striker to fill his role. Who thought we'd be signing Vokes to score 17?

• Almost forgot to mention...

It's a get touch on the club website to headline the article "Contract offers made to Chairboys Stars" rather than just players.

• Bayo was the perfect player to have in the squad as backup to Vokes, a top quality target man who could lead the line if required but happy to spend most of the time on the bench. I’m concerned that without Bayo we will be in trouble if Vokes is injured, and he is more likely to be injured if he is required to play the full game every game.

There is no one else in the squad capable of playing that role (Wheeler is perhaps the closest) - and it’s going to be very difficult to bring in someone good enough just to be cover.

The ideal signing would be someone like Callum Paterson, who can play the target man role if required but would be a starter in another position. Not that we’ve got any chance of signing him!

• edited May 2022

Hanlan can also play the target man, it would just involve us targeting him with more through balls rather than long balls. Giving Horgan a new contract will help with that.

Didn't we spend the first half of this season below the maximum squad level, allowing us to bring Wing and Young in in Jan? Maybe we'll see something similar if not everyone signs on again. Though like a couple of other posters I wouldn't be surprised to see De Barr and maybe one or two others on season long loans go help free up space.

The area we really need to improve on, in my opinion, is right back. But I think the thing I'd most like to see this summer is Gareth work on a system that allows us to play Kaikai. It still confuses me how Kaikai seemed to create goals every time he played but was played so infrequently. I think the 'he'll be like a new player' cliché is one of the more annoying in football but it may well be true of Kaikai this season.

• Kaikai is great going forward, but I suspect the reason he doesn’t get more game time is he isn’t as effective without the ball as the alternatives in his position.

• edited May 2022

We had an amazing season and there are always areas to improve or get covered. I felt we really lacked enough players who would offer two options, like Fred did. Fred was very unpredictable, he could run at people with the ball or he could run onto balls over the top, his pace would scare defenders.

I think we need someone of his ilk in the squad. Hanlan is the closest we've got and when he was injured we didn't have that direct threat / ball over the top option. I'd like to see some genuine pace added to the squad to compliment the silky skills of Mehmeti and McCleary.

Maybe they see Parsons as this possibility from the development squad...