Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Home Leg

Comments

• Gasroom regulars who are keen students in the art of body language will be cheered to hear that Anis Mehmeti gave us a lovely smile and a thumbs up as he was sat in his car waiting to leave the ground after the game.

Although as he didn't play, this could be construed as a 'want away gesture'.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Gasroom regulars who are keen students in the art of body language will be cheered to hear that Anis Mehmeti gave us a lovely smile and a thumbs up as he was sat in his car waiting to leave the ground after the game.

Did the angle of thumb, or level of smile give any clues to inclusion in 2 weeks if the hoped for result on Sunday occurs?

I'm guessing not bearing in mind Freeman was warming up, and Mehmeti wasn't.

• Our Spanish friends watch the game. I thoroughly recommend the moment when Vokes scores at 1hr 57min and 04 secs

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Our Spanish friends watch the game. I thoroughly recommend the moment when Vokes scores at 1hr 57min and 04 secs

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

• edited May 2022

I thought Taff and Vokes' reaction to their respective goals were very muted...spoiled the evening for me. I mean Taffs even went and celebrated with the Away fans rather than us!

• Didn't think I could be any more cheerful today, but that is fantastic.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@OakwoodExile said:
    Our Spanish friends watch the game. I thoroughly recommend the moment when Vokes scores at 1hr 57min and 04 secs

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

Superb! Brought me tears of joy!

• @arnos_grove said:
    Gasroom regulars who are keen students in the art of body language will be cheered to hear that Anis Mehmeti gave us a lovely smile and a thumbs up as he was sat in his car waiting to leave the ground after the game.

Unless he's seen in the car park before the game, disdainfully casting aside his orthopaedic boot, clinging to GA's leg and BEGGING to be allowed to play (cos screw medical advice when there's a game to play, right?) then you seriously have to question his commitment to THE CAUSE.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I thought Taff and Vokes' reaction to their respective goals were very muted...spoiled the evening for me. I mean Taffs even went and celebrated with the Away fans rather than us!

That's because one's too busy doing his videos and looking handsome to care, and one is clearly joining MK in the summer.
    Basic Wycombe knowledge!

• Gol Del Wycombe!!!!

• @arnos_grove said:

Waiting to LEAVE the ground, you say? What's he want to do that for it's never a 4 day drive to Bletchley...

• Just re-watching...and the Gape yellow was a lucky escape for Scowen, (which I thought at the time!) whose taking out of Parrott looked a lot worse before Gape dived in on Twine. I thought Josh did some excellent niggling work on MK players and yet also managed to win a load of free-kicks. Player of the season indeed.

• "Desperate advert for league one football".
    "dark ages way" of playing.

Hilarious reading the salt on that MK forum.

I'd like to see any even remotely sane football supporter look at Horgan and McCleary as the best 2 examples, and tell me those aren't pure footballers.

They act like we're the original Wimbledon with Fash and Jonesy smashing everyone up.

• Anyone know if it’s possible to rewatch the entire match?

• I’m about to do that right now. Well maybe skip the first 30 as it was a late one yesterday.

• Mention to Anthony Stewart who made a last ditch tackle to prevent an inevitable goal.

Wasn't in the highlights or has not even been mentioned....but for a defender, a tackle like that is as important as scoring a goal. Despite his recent dip in form, he was immense last night.

Was also very impressed with the shifts McCarthy and Horgan put in.

• He made a ridiculous quick-reaction header to stop the ball getting through for a great chance in the second half as well

• Everyone was class.

• Thanks @Twizz! In return, have this excellent write-up by a fella I met before the game via Ross.

https://www.prostinternational.com/2022/05/06/clever-ainsworth-trap-sets-chairboys-on-road-to-wembley/

• Scott> @drcongo said:

Thanks @Twizz! In return, have this excellent write-up by a fella I met before the game via Ross.

https://www.prostinternational.com/2022/05/06/clever-ainsworth-trap-sets-chairboys-on-road-to-wembley/

Almost stopped reading when he mixed his metaphors early on but definitely did give up when I read that Taff was a Welsh international, now that really is mixing things up, taffy was a Welshman Ryan comes from further east!

• Just watched the full match replay. As much fun as I remembered it.

Geoff Doyle as salty as ever when commentary switched back to him. Used ‘done a job on MK’ about five times in quick succession and banged on about physicality a lot.

He did praise the atmosphere but then started asking where this crowd was for normal games, as if a larger crowd in a play off semi was some sort of oddity.

He really struggles to cover up his dislike of us.

• Obita racially abused on twitter last night.

Even more reason to stuff the franchise.

• I’ve just finished it too. Amazed that Lewington didn’t throw a towel on the pitch and beg the referee to stop it. Whole of the second half they looked punch drunk.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Just watched the full match replay. As much fun as I remembered it.

Geoff Doyle as salty as ever when commentary switched back to him. Used ‘done a job on MK’ about five times in quick succession and banged on about physicality a lot.

He did praise the atmosphere but then started asking where this crowd was for normal games, as if a larger crowd in a play off semi was some sort of oddity.

He really struggles to cover up his dislike of us.

I agree...post match last night seemed to be all 'poor MK' and that snide about 'they must wonder where all these people are on normal match days' was a bit unnecessary I thought

• Yes, I listened to Doyle in the post match summary on BBC3CR. He just can't be neutral, I think he does all the Dons match commentaries, should take a leaf out of Phil Catchpoles' book and be honest. At least with Phil, if we are poor he tells it like it is rather than be salty towards/blame the opposition.

• Not to be a downer (I am being a downer), but we have some key players on yellows. I hope they can keep their noses clean for the final!

• @Shev said:
    Not to be a downer (I am being a downer), but we have some key players on yellows. I hope they can keep their noses clean for the final!

I thought that the yellow count finished after 45 games? Start afresh for the playoffs, probably wrong though.

• I had a brief search online and it seems that the cutoff for 2 yellows is 38 games and 3 yellows is the end of the regular season. No mention of special rules for playoffs, so I think as long as no Ody gets sent off they should be ok