Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Home Leg

Comments

• I just want to wish you both good luck...we are all counting on you

• Just got back now, great trip with my daughter. Thought they started the better but we grew into the game. I'd of been made up with 1-0 beforehand but fully deserved the 2nd goal and it was great to see us attacking non stop and not settling for just the 1 goal advantage.

Looking forward to Sunday now.

• I hope the club uploads the Adams Park bounce video today - it was genuinely incredible to see the place rocking.

• What an evening.
    Tough first 25, then we got on top, before it turned a little tasty and we lost a bit of focus.
    But that second half was all one way, and we had the surreal scenario of knowing 1-0 would feel a let down.

So glad we got the second, although it's nowhere near done yet.

Felt a little uncomfortable packed in with so many in the streets, carpark and even ground, but imagine that being the normal next year!

In the Frank Adams it took a few about 15mins to work out their seats.
    One guy was clearly boozed out of his head, first standing at the front, then in the stairwell, before getting involved in a near scrap with some old guy and his daughter.

He eventually popped up in row 1 quite some way along, literally falling in his seat, before causing a menace for another 45mins with at least 3 different marshals constantly monitoring him.
    Eventually a crack squad of 3 heavies turned up and removed him, just as MK had a man sent off.
    Bizarre side show!

• Special night at Adam’s Park - great team performance and what an atmosphere!

Hopefully we can keep it going on Sunday!

• Rode a tricky first 25 but otherwise that was as comprehensive as you could have ever hoped for. Well done Wycombe.

Franchise were scumbags throughout - from not taking the knee, to foul play, to generally being plastic twats.

Shame we couldn’t grab a third, but that may have been greedy.

Excellent performance and rocking atmosphere - loudest I can remember Adams Park being.

• edited May 2022

Special mention for the lady in the Frank Adams lower who offered her crutch to the injured right back.

Comedy gold.

• @leeronhagg said:
    Special mention for the lady in the Frank Adams lower who offered her crutch to the injured right back.

Comedy gold.

That was brilliant

• A fantastic evening that will live long in the memory. I know it’s been the norm in the last few games but I was a little surprised Vokes was replaced not long after scoring an amazingly worked goal. He was a constant menace to MK centre backs and might have added another or help create one which would allow us to feel even more confident going into Sunday.

• What a performance!
    MK top of the form league with 23 points from last 10 and us in 2nd with 22.
    They bossed the first 25. It was interesting to see Scowen tracking back as more of a left back in that opening 20, with JJ pushed further on. It certainly stopped them on a number of occasions, except that crucial Stewart block.
    Once Scowen moved more central then we took hold of the game.
    We've got the highest average age starting XI consistently in this league and it showed last night. Patience, discipline and control.
    How JJ has never played at a higher level consistently I don't know, his set pieces are world class at times. I love the rejuvenated Tafazolli, he has been key to this unbeaten run.
    Vokes was immense, happy to see him come off to get some rest for Sunday, same with Horgan who has finally started to show why we went in for him over the last 12 games.
    My MOTM was Dom Gape though, undoubtedly his best performance in a Wycombe shirt, he was everywhere. That was the Dom Gape we couldn't believed had signed on a 2 year deal from Southampton!
    There is still a long way to go in this tie, we have to give it a go up there on Sunday and whilst be sensible, we should be looking to get a third, if not fourth rather than sit back. I'm not sure we are good enough to sit back for 90. A repeat of the first half last night would be perfect.
    Who knew Macca does have a left foot!!!

• @davecz said:
    I was a little surprised Vokes was replaced not long after scoring an amazingly worked goal. He was a constant menace to MK centre backs and might have added another or help create one which would allow us to feel even more confident going into Sunday.

He might have also got injured or knackered playing on and missed the 2nd leg.

Couldashouldawoulda.

• Gaz knows exactly what he's doing. There's another massive game I'm a few days time

• I honestly can't remember a finer night at AP since we arrived there. That atmosphere in the second half was something else - I assume there'll be no need for a drum inquest today?

Milton Keynes were utterly put to the sword in that second half, having caused a few scares for 20 mins in the first.

Usual coverage in the media about how we had to drag them into a battle to knock them off their 'beautiful game' style. Passing it back and forth round your own box before lumping it long is the con of the decade - I wouldn't pay to watch that every week. I see Sky were at it pre-match with their tedious 'styles of play' graphic - what the fuck is the point of that? Won, lost, drawn - that's it for me. There's always some media bore trying to prove their own pre-ordained position by using stats like 'completed passes'.

Moving on to the wonderful franchisees. Has a travelling support ever been so comprehensively out-sung by the home team attendees? Despite being in the acoustically superior stand? A couple of songs in the opening 20 mins and then a wall of silence. No wonder they don't want too many of us up there.

Hard to single out players as the whole team was faultless. But having a match sharp Sam Vokes in League One is almost cheating isn't it?

• edited May 2022

How dare the broadcaster give viewers an overview of how radically stylistically different the two teams are! It's just interesting - they're not saying one approach is more legitimate than the other.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    How dare the broadcaster give viewers an overview of how radically stylistically different the two teams are! It's just interesting - they're not saying one approach is more legitimate than the other.

They are though - endless nudges and winks about physical style.

But we won't agree on this particular point. I still believe football coverage should start no more that 15 minutes before kick off - the reason it doesn't invites all this tedious filler.

• @Malone said:
    What an evening.
    Tough first 25, then we got on top, before it turned a little tasty and we lost a bit of focus.
    But that second half was all one way, and we had the surreal scenario of knowing 1-0 would feel a let down.

Felt a little uncomfortable packed in with so many in the streets, carpark and even ground, but imagine that being the normal next year!

One guy was clearly boozed out of his head, first standing at the front, then in the stairwell, before getting involved in a near scrap with some old guy and his daughter.

He eventually popped up in row 1 quite some way along, literally falling in his seat, before causing a menace for another 45mins with at least 3 different marshals constantly monitoring him.
    Eventually a crack squad of 3 heavies turned up and removed him, just as MK had a man sent off.
    Bizarre side show!

Unfortunately I am that man and I offer my sincere apologies to anyone that was affected.

• @arnos_grove said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

They are though - endless nudges and winks about physical style.

But we won't agree on this particular point. I still believe football coverage should start no more that 15 minutes before kick off - the reason it doesn't invites all this tedious filler.

It did only begin 15 minutes before kick-off last night ;)

• Just to emphasise Arnos’s point, “they are, though”. If they wanted to emphasise it another way, they would establish stats tables showing us 1st and MK 24th. The subliminal message is that we are ‘bottom’ in a style table. If they thought ‘direct = good’ they would show it graphically. But they chose not to. Hence, they are subliminally illegitimising it.

• @ReturnToSenda Of course they are. Why on Earth would they have a graphic showing MK Dons as 1st for everything and Wycombe 23rd/24th. The stats are cherrypicked in that type of situation. What about headers won, tackles won, interceptions, crosses etc etc or do those things not count. It’s not very subtly trying to make a point. There was not even one word about how the style has changed in the last 12 games or so.

Wycombe were physically superior last night which allowed us to play better football than MK Dons. Not rocket science.

• It's a simple style comparison - there's really no agenda.

• Our style changed for a couple of games out of those 12 - we're still broadly a highly direct team as we showed last night.

• edited May 2022

@Quarterman said:
    What about headers won, tackles won, interceptions, crosses etc etc or do those things not count.

None of those tell you about a team's style with the ball (apart from maybe headers won, which might give you an idea of how direct they are), which was what that graphic was about.

• That was a turbo charged display yesterday from the whole team.

I don't think I've ever seen Tafa look more imperious. Just untouchable.

Gape has had such an epic run of games, it's now unthinkable that we would release him.

It's very hard not to salivate at scenes like yesterday's attendance being a regular occurrence next season. We got the very watered down version last year.

Mustn't get ahead of ourselves though.

• @Monza said:

@Malone said:
    What an evening.

Bizarre side show!

Unfortunately I am that man and I offer my sincere apologies to anyone that was affected.

If it's really you fair play - you did well not to fall over the barrier, that was everyone's concern!

However, I'd imagine the real guy will be sleeping it off until at least 3pm!

• Tafa-Gape: stronger than gaffer tape

• Liam Manning has challenged their lot to create an atmosphere like last night's on Sunday. Good luck with that.

• @Malone said:

@Monza said:

@Malone said:
    What an evening.

Bizarre side show!

If it's really you fair play - you did well not to fall over the barrier, that was everyone's concern!

However, I'd imagine the real guy will be sleeping it off until at least 3pm!

With the greatest of shame. It was me. I was granted leave from Maidenhead nick at 3.00. Once again my apologies.

• Our style has certainly changed in the last 13 games and we are far better for it. We remain direct of course but are passing the ball more than we were before. An evolution of style that was much needed and is great news. A pure passing passing passing team doesn’t do it for me at any level but certainly not in League 1.

The stats were cherrypicked and trying to make a point. How about passing accuracy in final third which I would be sure we’d be pretty decent. Not shown. And they also had a pundit who quote openly didn’t like Wycombe. Granted Mackie could barely string two words together but when he did manage it he was trotting out the usual rubbish.

Stats can be interesting to use when comparing as a whole. But cherry picking them isn’t clever. Let’s agree to disagree, but I’m sure we can agree last night was amazing!! Come on Wycombe, let’s finish the job and get to Wembley :-)

• Surely we won the only start which actually matters last night. The other stuff is just window dressing.

2-0

• Definitely the best atmosphere ever at Adams Park. I've never seen the entire Frank Adams bouncing around because they love Wycombe before. If anyone has any video of it I'd love to see it.

The two games against Plymouth this season proved how wrong people are when they say Ainsworth is tactically naïve, we played a very different style in each of those and totally outfoxed the Plymouth manager's plans. Last night's win was so much about the prep and the tactics that Gaz and Dobbo laid out, tactically superb. The pair of them have grown so much over the last two or three seasons.

What a night.