Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Home Leg

Comments

• edited May 2022

Every derogatory comment I've read about us online this season has come from a fan of one of the self-styled big clubs in league 1 (plus Posh who will be again soon). All boils down to being unable to accept they're down here with the likes of us and getting beaten. Let them rage, let them stew, and let them fall before our cannons!

Deep down each and every one of them, however much they deny it, would love to have Ainsworth as manager.

• edited May 2022

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Every derogatory comment I've read about us online this season has come from a fan of one of the self-styled big clubs in league 1 (plus Posh who will be again soon). All boils down to being unable to accept they're down here with the likes of us and getting beaten. Let them rage, let them stew, and let them fall before our cannons!

Deep down each and every one of them, however much they deny it, would love to have Ainsworth as manager.

No matter how gobby their owner is or how much wonga they throw at it has anyone who isn't a Peterborough fan ever considered them to be a big team?

• I watched the game on Sky and agree with @arnos_grove about the endless nudges and winks. Their whole narrative was about 'Wycombe looking to frustrate MK's passing game,' and selective, largely irrelevant stats about 'passing passages.'

And long may that narrative continue I say, as it seems to get in the opposition manager's head. Both before and after the game, a shell-shocked Manning kept saying how he would 'continue to play our style' or some such.

• @LX1 said:
    I watched the game on Sky and agree with @arnos_grove about the endless nudges and winks. Their whole narrative was about 'Wycombe looking to frustrate MK's passing game,' and selective, largely irrelevant stats about 'passing passages.'

And long may that narrative continue I say, as it seems to get in the opposition manager's head. Both before and after the game, a shell-shocked Manning kept saying how he would 'continue to play our style' or some such.

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/dons-got-dragged-into-playing-the-game-on-wycombes-terms-says-manning-3682592

• @StrongestTeam said:

No matter how gobby their owner is or how much wonga they throw at it has anyone who isn't a Peterborough fan ever considered them to be a big team?

Hence the description 'self styled'.

• @micra said:
    I read screeds of superficial delusional single sentence comments on that Sunderland forum @Lloyd2084 but after several pages they were still discussing beggar all as half time approached. I gave up at that point as nothing considered or with any substance was forthcoming. I had to smile at the suggestion that they would simply outpass us on that vast Wembley pitch. I seem to recall that our pitch has the same dimensions as the Wembley one (although the narrowing that began about a decade ago has probably made it ‘marginally’ - pardon pun - smaller).

I also read some of the comments….inarticulate, inaccurate, cliched, stereotyped etc… and all assuming that they will be in the final. They seem to forget that their multi talented squad, an exciting blend of the best of Brazil, Manchester City and Liverpool, finished exactly one point ahead of us.

• @LX1 said:
    I watched the game on Sky and agree with @arnos_grove about the endless nudges and winks. Their whole narrative was about 'Wycombe looking to frustrate MK's passing game,' and selective, largely irrelevant stats about 'passing passages.'

They like their silly narratives and stories, it makes them feel they are important and involved when most people just want to see the game and for the commentators to shut up, it's Wenger Vs Allardyce updated for L1 2022. Let's have some stats about how the wage bills and yearly losses stack up, or how many clubs have been stolen.

• But looking to frustrate MK's passing game was exactly what we did... Extremely effectively...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    But looking to frustrate MK's passing game was exactly what we did... Extremely effectively...

Some style discussion is valid but the point is certain media outlets make that out to be such an awful thing and play in to the lazy social media based boring / cheat stereotypes. Even though we were direct and on the front foot it was hardly hit and hope stuff last night. We moved em round and they couldn't get near us

• Tbf, if they're discussing style with the ball then they should also discuss style without, but there's still no agenda - we probably get more love from Sky Sports than any other club our size! Though I agree there are always snobbish individuals (I seem to remember Darren Moore being one of them during the 2020 play-offs).

• I struggled with the second paragraph of the MK newspaper article posted by @PBo above. "Wycombe bullied their way into the lead". My version - "Jacobson's perfectly placed corner allowed the bear-hugged Tafazzoli to nod Wycombe into the lead from close range" is surely the accurate description. Words like "bullying" just sets the scene for excuse-making and suggestions of dark arts, and anti-this, anti-that, which simply weren't present.

Later in the article, Manning innocently proclaims there was no 'malice' in the tackle that earned the second yellow (as if that's an excuse for a badly timed tackle that deserves a yellow anyway). But he fails to mention that the first yellow was for twice pushing an opponent to the floor...

• That MK player who was holding Taff when he scored, and not looking at the ball at all, should be ashamed to call himself a footballer. Let alone the shame of being a footballer who plays for an illegitimate club.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Tbf, if they're discussing style with the ball then they should also discuss style without, but there's still no agenda - we probably get more love from Sky Sports than any other club our size! Though I agree there are always snobbish individuals (I seem to remember Darren Moore being one of them during the 2020 play-offs).

...and he hasn't changed a jot.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/darren-moore-bemoans-uncharacteristic-sheffield-wednesday-questioned-on-squad-changes-3666177

the classic gritted teeth, "they do what they do and they are good at it"

• Does this mean MK now 'know what they are going to get with Wycombe' for the second leg?

• In all the excitement last night I forgot to pick up my ticket for Sunday. Is the ticket office open today does anyone know?

• @Monza said:

@Malone said:

@Monza said:

@Malone said:
    What an evening.
    Tough first 25, then we got on top, before it turned a little tasty and we lost a bit of focus.
    But that second half was all one way, and we had the surreal scenario of knowing 1-0 would feel a let down.

So glad we got the second, although it's nowhere near done yet.

Felt a little uncomfortable packed in with so many in the streets, carpark and even ground, but imagine that being the normal next year!

In the Frank Adams it took a few about 15mins to work out their seats.
    One guy was clearly boozed out of his head, first standing at the front, then in the stairwell, before getting involved in a near scrap with some old guy and his daughter.

He eventually popped up in row 1 quite some way along, literally falling in his seat, before causing a menace for another 45mins with at least 3 different marshals constantly monitoring him.
    Eventually a crack squad of 3 heavies turned up and removed him, just as MK had a man sent off.
    Bizarre side show!

Unfortunately I am that man and I offer my sincere apologies to anyone that was affected.

If it's really you fair play - you did well not to fall over the barrier, that was everyone's concern!

However, I'd imagine the real guy will be sleeping it off until at least 3pm!

With the greatest of shame. It was me. I was granted leave from Maidenhead nick at 3.00. Once again my apologies.

Fair play to you for coming on here and apologising. Hope the hangover clears up for Sunday!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Tbf, if they're discussing style with the ball then they should also discuss style without, but there's still no agenda - we probably get more love from Sky Sports than any other club our size! Though I agree there are always snobbish individuals (I seem to remember Darren Moore being one of them during the 2020 play-offs).

Watching some of it back it seems mostly harmless, I was a bit surprised Michelle Owen was happy to present right in front of the terrace to be fair, she got dogs abuse last time she was here after bemoaning our style. Just watched the first few minutes and Sammy Saunders is obviously getting the right learning in at Brentford as well as being a class act, puts Mackie's rambling clichés to shame. Amusing how the one thing they all agree on was how making a quick start was crucial ?

• My 420 mile round trip was well worth it... what a night. The first 20 minutes or so were a little uncomfortable as Scowen found himself covering JJ and their nippy overlapping fullback looked very dangerous. After that we seized control of the middle of the park and harried them into mistake after mistake. It really did feel like we could score 3 or 4, and it's strange to feel slightly disappointed that we didn't. Outstanding performances all over the park, loved every second of it.

• @drcongo said:
    That MK player who was holding Taff when he scored, and not looking at the ball at all, should be ashamed to call himself a footballer. Let alone the shame of being a footballer who plays for an illegitimate club.

The even better moment was when Bayo came on, and was getting held by the dreaded Lewington, who then fell over and whinged to the ref.
    A lot of refs over the years have wrongly given that as a foul, but this one just let it go.
    Brilliant.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Watching some of it back it seems mostly harmless, I was a bit surprised Michelle Owen was happy to present right in front of the terrace to be fair, she got dogs abuse last time she was here after bemoaning our style. Just watched the first few minutes and Sammy Saunders is obviously getting the right learning in at Brentford as well as being a class act, puts Mackie's rambling clichés to shame. Amusing how the one thing they all agree on was how making a quick start was crucial ?

A quick start.
    I wonder if any advice has ever been to have a fairly sluggish slow one:D

• @ReturnToSenda said:

It did only begin 15 minutes before kick-off last night ;)

Haha - defeated!

• A game that will live long in the memory, brilliant support from start to finish. I’ve trawled the message boards of Sheffield Wednesday, MK Dongs and Sunderland which makes for interesting reading. We are universally seen as a team of thugs with a degree in shithousery. Some of the comments regarding Ainsworth were quite funny - being described as a stale pair of curtains in a nightclub, an ageing rocker in a midlife crisis, a Poundland manager and my favourite an attendant at the dodgems in a fairground.
    Several times it was noted that how on Earth was Vokes playing for Wycombe, and he was touted for a return to a championship team. We’ve been very lucky to have Vokesy, and I hope he’ll be with us next season. Roll on Sunday…it’s not going to be easy for sure.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I think Lee Hendrie was very fair to us last night. I actually think he is fast becoming a very good summariser on the EFL.
    Mr Wood also did a great job of backing our style of play and it was quite funny to see Jamie Mackie having to admit that whilst oppositions know how we will play it is another thing dealing with it

• @MBS The Sunderland board had my bingo card full even before half-time. All interspersed with the occasional "that was a hell of a goal, mind". Trying so hard to be cliched, before the odd 'honest comment' accidentally snuck out. Towards the end of the thread, someone said something along the lines of "to be fair, they were stronger and better, and deserved to win" which brought the response "if you're looking for a balanced perspective, you're on the wrong forum, mate..."

• Brings a tear to the eye. No wonder they don’t want us anywhere near the action at their place.

• I think opposition teams tend to fail to recognise that we do so much good work off the ball. When we’re at our best our press regularly forces the other team to shank the ball out of play. I think in the Premier League you get more credit for that kind of pressing because the other team typically keeps trying to pass short so you have a chance to turnover the ball and score immediately ( as Liverpool & Man City often do). In League 1 the other team will often go long under pressure so we turnover possession by winning a throw in, for example, instead. We’re incredibly good at it but for the neutral it probably looks less impressive than winning the ball and scoring all in the same move.

• Still drinking it in. And voice still recovering. Whilst rightfully Taf got the plaudits and even a MoM award I cannot think of a more accomplished performance from a player than Vokes. I don't think Franchise won a single header against him. Extraordinary performance. If I was Franchise I would be thinking about the second leg and trying to figure out what to do to counter that threat.
    Couple of players started slowly but come the last 20 minutes we were firing and for them to be time wasting at 2-0 down showed how shell shocked they were.
    I recall Darius Charles talking about the play off final v PNL saying that after a while the defence were calling out to each other 'we could do this all night' as their players repeatedly fluffed their lines or were closed out. It looked a similar story last night as their strikers lost confidence the more our defenders battered them back.
    Sunday it starts again and we can't let them get on the front foot to start with and this means the same energy press we had had for last night. A tough job. A really tough job.

• @Glenactico Very good point about winning the ball back by forcing throws high up - I think we've scored a couple of goals like that this season (Taf's winner v Crewe?).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @Glenactico Very good point about winning the ball back by forcing throws high up - I think we've scored a couple of goals like that this season (Taf's winner v Crewe?).

It’s a crucial part of our play I think. I recall Gape last night first closing the defender, forcing him to pass back to the keeper, and then closing the keeper down and forcing him into an error that gave us an attacking throw. All from sheer hard work he’s able to turn a potential attack for them into possession for us, and the opportunity to slow the game down should we wish.