Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Home Leg

Comments

• In fact I’d love to see a stat for unforced errors or something. Maybe misplaced passes. I bet we’re the beneficiary of more than any other team in the league.

It does work better at home I think because the narrowed pitch works in our favour when we press.

• @Glenactico said:
    In fact I’d love to see a stat for unforced errors or something. Maybe misplaced passes. I bet we’re the beneficiary of more than any other team in the league.

It does work better at home I think because the narrowed pitch works in our favour when we press.

But they're forced errors really!

• On the days between games, it's fun to analyse the statistics and see who/which team had more touches/flicks/headers/tackles etc. But let me tell you, when the referee blows the whistle for full time there is only ever one statistic which matters.

2-0, suck on that MK!

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Tbf, if they're discussing style with the ball then they should also discuss style without, but there's still no agenda - we probably get more love from Sky Sports than any other club our size! Though I agree there are always snobbish individuals (I seem to remember Darren Moore being one of them during the 2020 play-offs).

I think Lee Hendrie was very fair to us last night. I actually think he is fast becoming a very good summariser on the EFL.
    Mr Wood also did a great job of backing our style of play and it was quite funny to see Jamie Mackie having to admit that whilst oppositions know how we will play it is another thing dealing with it

Whenever I've heard him he exudes genuine passion for the game as a whole.
    Not all co and commentators are like that.

He's had the top of the game, and he's been at the bottom with personal problems, and you can feel the appreciation at coming out the other side.

• Lee Hendrie is a good guy and he was very complimentary about us when we had a beer afterwards.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Still drinking it in. And voice still recovering. Whilst rightfully Taf got the plaudits and even a MoM award I cannot think of a more accomplished performance from a player than Vokes. I don't think Franchise won a single header against him. Extraordinary performance. If I was Franchise I would be thinking about the second leg and trying to figure out what to do to counter that threat.
    Couple of players started slowly but come the last 20 minutes we were firing and for them to be time wasting at 2-0 down showed how shell shocked they were.
    I recall Darius Charles talking about the play off final v PNL saying that after a while the defence were calling out to each other 'we could do this all night' as their players repeatedly fluffed their lines or were closed out. It looked a similar story last night as their strikers lost confidence the more our defenders battered them back.
    Sunday it starts again and we can't let them get on the front foot to start with and this means the same energy press we had had for last night. A tough job. A really tough job.

The great thing in our favour is that we could rest a few couple of players late on, and if anything MK will be the ones with a hard job to recover, having been down to 10 for 25mins.

Did I see Freeman doing the warm up?
    Wonder if he has half a chance of getting back in the squad if we did extend the season another couple of weeks.

Probably just too early for him, but good to see him back amongst it.

• Franchise did indeed seem all at sea. I had a feeling we might edge the home leg but as has been noted we need to set about them from the off at their cavernous empty home. We had the ball in the net three times and hit the bar and Stockdale was hardly troubled so if that is not a great performance, more than bullying or spoiling, I do not know what would be. I know it only takes a second to score a goal, but they need to two to just get back on level terms, so the longer we can keep them out, I think our superior defence and attacking threat will see us through. Just a word about Stewart, I thought he had an excellent game as well!

• Considering Sky salivating over those passing stats last night, the match stats make interesting reading...

Passes: 314 / 359
    Acc. passes: 210 (67%) / 240 (67%)
    Long balls: 44/76 (58%) / 25/84 (30%)
    Crosses: 11/29 (38%) / 0/5 (0%)

Identical on the passing accuracy and MK didn't land a single cross all night. And given how much more of our passes were "long", you'd expect the accuracy to be vastly different. I loved how often MK just kicked the ball out of play last night, for an allegedly great passing side, they looked pretty shit at passing.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Glenactico said:
    In fact I’d love to see a stat for unforced errors or something. Maybe misplaced passes. I bet we’re the beneficiary of more than any other team in the league.

Fair point

• @Glenactico said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Glenactico said:

Fair point

Nah, I know what you mean and it's always comical when the GK just skews it into touch

• That is outrageous, hope the poster gets nicked for it.

• Grief, you live in hope we're moving forward but there's plenty of scum out there still keeping us in the swamp. Doubt they'll be tracked down or identified but if so hope they're banned from football for a long time. Good for Jordan for going public with it.

• How do you know they're associated with MK?

• Obviously I have no concrete evidence, but given it was sent as a DM to Obita just after we've beaten them seems likely. It’s hardly a wild conclusion to draw.

• It looks like the account of someone that supports Besiktas and posts in Turkish.

• It’s one of the few occasions when I wish I was on twitter, not to answer the scumbag who wrote the original post but to tell Jordan that he is ‘home’ and that home is Wycombe Wanderers where he will always be loved and respected.

• @BSE said:
    Obviously I have no concrete evidence, but given it was sent as a DM to Obita just after we've beaten them seems likely. It’s hardly a wild conclusion to draw.

Looks like some rando on Insta to me - probably lost a bet. Clearly absolutely grim, but it's not helpful to go assuming it's a fan of x club.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Lee Hendrie is a good guy and he was very complimentary about us when we had a beer afterwards.

Always comes across as a good bloke. Someone I would certainly love to chat to about the game in general.
    Its guys like Lee that the FA need to get involved wit the running of the game in this country.
    Talksport the other day said the same about John Mousinho which i thought was a great shout - it may have even come out of Simon Jordan's mouth (I am starting to warm to him whenever I catch him on the radio. He seems to see through the bullsh?t

• BSEBSE
    edited May 2022

Thanks for pointing it out @Glenactico. Yep fair point @ReturnToSenda, in an era of and i hate the term "fake news" you're right its not helpful. Ill try to be more aware of it in future :)

• Here's the twat: https://www.instagram.com/merttelek/

If you have an Instagram account, go report the prick.

• @BSE said:
    Thanks for pointing it out @Glenactico. Yep fair point @ReturnToSenda, in an era of and i hate the term "fake news" you're right its not helpful. Ill try to be more aware of it in future :)

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was having a go!

• It's one thing hiding behind a cloak of anonymity and spouting abuse, but under your own account?
    It doesn't get much dimmer does it?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@BSE said:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was having a go!

Honestly no problem at all! Fact checking is important so I glad you highlighted it.

• Racists aren't usually known for their intelligence.

• Hands down the best best atmosphere I've experienced. We made a very good football franchise look bang average!!! What a time to be a wanderer.

• I don't understand why you are all so happy. You do realize from the posted stats that we have no chance of winning the coveted 'Most One Yard Passes Completed In Own Half Under No Pressure' trophy, right?

And there was me hoping we had a shot at something significant this year...

• @Shev said:
    I don't understand why you are all so happy. You do realize from the posted stats that we have no chance of winning the coveted 'Most One Yard Passes Completed In Own Half Under No Pressure' trophy, right?

And there was me hoping we had a shot at something significant this year...

Spot on, as if it’s somehow reprehensible to hit a ball further than ten yards. Taf’s pass for our second goal was a thing of beauty.