Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Home Leg

Comments

• Fantastic football, so unlucky that McCarthy hit the bar

• We should be out of sight. One weakness with the direct game is that it is harder to exploit having an extra man.

• Get in Vokes - fantastic header

• These Milton Keynes kids are so rattled.

• Men against boys is best way to sum up that games , 110% effort by wycombe

• I never thought plastic tears would taste better than real ones.

Long way to go, though!

• Fantastic performance, after the first 20 minutes they really were not in it as we gave them no time on the ball and then created 2 well crafted goals and a hatfull of decent chances

COYB bring on Sunday

• Superb performance. Great decision to play Gape and Stewart. Brilliant from every player on the pitch.

• That's probably the best I've ever seen us play. Every man was fantastic. I love watching us play 'better' teams off the park. Fucking brilliant lads (obvs job only half done etc etc)

• So much floundering around on the BBC website tonight and from Twitter neutrals about how MK somehow got bullied into losing a football game and suggesting they were hard done by to come up against a Wycombe side who had the audacity to not let MK play their usual game.

The fact is that we were the only team with an effective game plan tonight, and it was pretty comfortable once we had weathered the first 30 mins.

I love how we consistently raise our game when the stakes matter, and that’s all down to Gareth and the incredible atmosphere around the club.

Do you think MK might be regretting giving Gareth that golden opportunity to use the away ticket fiasco to drum up the players?!

On a football side, strong all over the pitch tonight. I thought Obita had his best game since moving into his attacking role, and Scowen / Gape were immense. Gape deserves so much credit for having basically been frozen out to coming in and making that spot his own again. All of that was built on stone with the back 5 all looking really solid.

Onto the theatre of plastic to finish the job.

• @Jonny said:
    So much floundering around on the BBC website tonight and from Twitter neutrals about how MK somehow got bullied into losing a football game and suggesting they were hard done by to come up against a Wycombe side who had the audacity to not let MK play their usual game.

The fact is that we were the only team with an effective game plan tonight, and it was pretty comfortable once we had weathered the first 30 mins.

I love how we consistently raise our game when the stakes matter, and that’s all down to Gareth and the incredible atmosphere around the club.

Do you think MK might be regretting giving Gareth that golden opportunity to use the away ticket fiasco to drum up the players?!

On a football side, strong all over the pitch tonight. I thought Obita had his best game since moving into his attacking role, and Scowen / Gape were immense. Gape deserves so much credit for having basically been frozen out to coming in and making that spot his own again. All of that was built on stone with the back 5 all looking really solid.

Onto the theatre of plastic to finish the job.

I couldn't agree more. That's what happens when you meet a bunch of experienced footballers that don't give a shit about anything other than winning a football match. We didn't cheat or shithouse, we just tackled and headed the ball in the goal shaped bit at the end of the field.

• It shows how good that was that I am a little gutted at 2-0 instead of 3 or 4. However, we know there will be no complacency, given how good the opposition can be.

It does make me a little warm and fuzzy to think the last Bayo appearance at AP involved us shoving the plastic fans' abuse back down their own throats...

• Men against boys in the end.

• Great post match interview with GA

• Tremendous performance from all the team. After the first 20 or so minutes, we totally dominated the rest of the match. Would have loved a third but 2-0 at half time gives us a massive opportunity to reach Wembley. COYB

• What a game. I don't understand this 'they made us play their way' bull. We scored two good goals Gape and Scowen ran the midfield...Twine was rendered anonymous. I have no stats or convincing impirical evidence but coming third after losing out on the last day is a big mental stumbling block I think. If we press and attack the ball like that again on Sunday we'll be fine.

• Yet again we nullified the threat of the oppositions best player - we done it a few weeks back with Bannon and we done it again tonight with Twine.

• Walked back to the school amongst some very angry Opposition fans.

• If you wouldn't want to watch that every week there's something wrong with you

• Fantastic performance to a man, so proud of this team.

Probably the best atmosphere I can remember at AP since the League Cup semi with Chelsea.

Unfortunately, usual Stone Island idiots getting arrested after scuffling with police on Lane End Road.

• I didn't expect to be grumbling to myself that we didn't manage to get that third while they were rattled and down to 10. We really stamped our authority on the game and made a mockery of most outsiders' view that franchise only needed to turn up to win handsomely.
    Sunday will be a massive game, I have no doubt Ainsworth will get the lads prepared with the right mentality.

• Atmosphere was unreal tonight. Well done to everyone! Team and fans.

• It was one of the truly great Adams Park evenings tonight and one that will live long in the memory whatever happens from here on in.

There’s an entertaining thread on our match on the Sunderland forum.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe-wanderers-v-mk-dons-kick-off-7-45pm-sky-sports-main-event-hd-and-sky-sports-football-hd.1577951/

• Tough first 20 minutes but hung in there. After that we were absolutely magnificent and completely dominated, before and after the red card. Football is (or should be) both a game of technical ability but also strength and desire - it’s why it is such a brilliant game. The team were just so, so strong tonight and played some great technical football as well. Scowen and Gape in the middle were simply awesome. Deserved a third goal to be honest, but at 2 the game is still alive. But if we can put in another performance like that we should hopefully have enough to get to Wembley again.

• I admit to being a bit worried after 20 mins or so. They were moving the ball nicely and controlling the tempo. Targeted our left side and pulled JJ forward to create space behind. Thankfully, Scowen + a sliding tackle from Stewart kept them out.

Thereafter I thought we were excellent. Got right in their faces and forced them into mistakes to stop them playing. In possession we spread the ball really nicely and asked lots of questions of their defence with some of our direct play. In the end we were good value for 2-0 and it perhaps might have been 3.

Vokes header was an absolute thing of beauty. Right in front of the terrace and in off the post, which I always think is a nice way to score.

I can't recall a better atmosphere at AP (maybe the League Cup semi final?). Wonderful to see the main stand literally jumping. A truly superb night all round.

• Just got home. Wonderful night, just superb - and the best atmosphere at Adams park I can remember for a very long time. Let's hope the travelling 2,000 can replicate that on Sunday.

'Typical Wycombe'? Vokes' goal was a thing of beauty, from the inch-perfect long ball to his sublime control and pass out to GMac to the cross and the great header.

Poor Franchise looked utterly lost second half, the only wonder is how we didn't score more.

COME ON YOU BLUES!

• I read screeds of superficial delusional single sentence comments on that Sunderland forum @Lloyd2084 but after several pages they were still discussing beggar all as half time approached. I gave up at that point as nothing considered or with any substance was forthcoming. I had to smile at the suggestion that they would simply outpass us on that vast Wembley pitch. I seem to recall that our pitch has the same dimensions as the Wembley one (although the narrowing that began about a decade ago has probably made it ‘marginally’ - pardon pun - smaller).

• edited May 2022

@PrinceOfCrowell said:
    Fantastic performance to a man, so proud of this team.

Probably the best atmosphere I can remember at AP since the League Cup semi with Chelsea.

Unfortunately, usual Stone Island idiots getting arrested after scuffling with police on Lane End Road.

I agree, it had something of the feel of that Chelsea game…sold out crowd, expectation, hope and a great performance from Wycombe!