Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Home Leg

14567810»

Comments

• @drcongo said:
    I’ve just finished it too. Amazed that Lewington didn’t throw a towel on the pitch and beg the referee to stop it. Whole of the second half they looked punch drunk.

Totally agree. Towards the end I actually started to feel a bit embarrassed, it was such a mis-match.

• @Shev said:
    Not to be a downer (I am being a downer), but we have some key players on yellows. I hope they can keep their noses clean for the final!

It's surely not get a booking in each play off semi and miss the final? That'd be daft.

• edited May 2022

Slate gets wiped clean at the end of the regular season, so you can only miss the final if you get sent off. But didn't an Oxford player fuck it last season and get a three-match ban for yellows that ruled him out of the play-offs (not that Oxford got to the final)?

• Charlie Austin has been released by QPR. Vokes and Austin anyone?

• Cheers for clearing up the yellows - I definitely read something about two yellows = miss the final, but I think it was on another forum, so the source was not the font of truth!

• What amazing memories almost welling up here. Think I will cry if we lose from this position! Still nervous as heck about tomorrow night.

• Some inspired and hilarious directing there!

• Just watched the match rewind on WWTV and it has some views of the bounce around and not just the terrace but the FA also. Worth a watch but beware it might give you goose bumps! What a night.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Charlie Austin has been released by QPR. Vokes and Austin anyone?

Would be a good replacement around the the club for The Beast. You need a few around that been there and done it

• @thecatwwfc said:

Missed a lot of this season through injury so i wouldn't want him.

• @robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Why would you dismiss a top quality striker who’s scored lots of goals wherever he’s been just because he’s been injured? Most players get injured at some stage.

• @glasshalffull said:

@robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Why would you dismiss a top quality striker who’s scored lots of goals wherever he’s been just because he’s been injured? Most players get injured at some stage.

A player doesn't stay "top class" for ever though.
    Otherwise we'd all still be trying to sign Teddy Sheringham or Shearer in their 50s.

Certainly need to weigh up risk, with attitude, wage and injury records. Gaz is pretty much the master though.

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Otherwise we'd all still be trying to sign Teddy Sheringham or Shearer in their 50s.

Certainly need to weigh up risk, with attitude, wage and injury records. Gaz is pretty much the master though.

I take your point but Austin is the same age as Vokes and younger than McCleary and Jacobson, three players at the peak of their careers. I was just making the point that you can’t write a player off on the basis that he’s recently been injured. It’s all speculation anyway.

• @robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

He made 34 appearances and was an unused sub on seven occasions, so he missed... 5/46 games.

• Point proven then, the original comment was not only harsh but also inaccurate.

• A few years ago I spent a whole evening with Charlie and tried to persuade him Wycombe was a club he should be considering. Seems a character who would fit in and I’m hoping he might consider us now.

• edited May 2022

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Really bad examples, Sheringham played on winning promotions at quite an age, Shearer got out at the top as many players on that kind of dosh do but could still probably do a job.

• I liked the look of Cole Stockton, but you can't have enough natural finishers.
    It reminds me when we had Keith Scott, Westy, Kim Casey,Tim Langford, and Dennis Green all vying for two places.

• @robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Has he? I listen to him on TalkSport - seems like a funny guy with a good attitude. Don't recall him saying he was injured. QPR fans loved him. He expressed how gutted and shocked he was at being released but is keen to keep playing at as high a level as possible. Not sure he would want to sit on the bench for us in League 1/Championship if we keep Vokes though,

I imagine he will have offers in the Championship.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I liked the look of Cole Stockton, but you can't have enough natural finishers.
    It reminds me when we had Keith Scott, Westy, Kim Casey,Tim Langford, and Dennis Green all vying for two places.

It goes without saying that we need 1 striker (if we keep Vokes). Difficult though as it's hard to find someone decent enough that is happy to play 2nd fiddle. It's why Bayo is/was perfect for us.

Unless someone like Al Hamadi or Linton are ready to step up, it's going to be a tough task finding someone that suits us. I trust GA will come up trumps.

I do wonder what the future holds for Kaikai. He looks a player that can stretch games but never really fit our style or fell victim to the good form of others. He must be frustrated seeing a left back playing left wing, but Obita has been a good option for us. I imagined Obita playing on the left would offer extra cover for JJ but that hasn't really been the case.

• A front three of Alfie May, Scott Twine and Sam Vokes? ?

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Really bad examples, Sheringham played on winning promotions at quite an age, Shearer got out at the top as many players on that kind of dosh do but could still probably do a job.

How are they bad examples, with the fact neither are or would be top class in their 50s?

• @thecatwwfc said:

I do wonder what the future holds for Kaikai. He looks a player that can stretch games but never really fit our style or fell victim to the good form of others. He must be frustrated seeing a left back playing left wing, but Obita has been a good option for us. I imagined Obita playing on the left would offer extra cover for JJ but that hasn't really been the case.

Especially as he has been so effective when he has come on as sub. Attacking wise I’ve been really impressed by him. I just get the impression Ainsworth doesn’t trust he does enough without the ball - so only uses him when we are behind.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

How are they bad examples, with the fact neither are or would be top class in their 50s?

Because one of them retired when he was 42, playing an FA cup final past 40 and you are writing off signing a player for being 32 because he'd had an injury. Bayo, Tyson, CMS , Garner, Regis, Claridge and various others gave great service at a higher age and Tyson particularly was plagued by injuries, not that the others were immune.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@robin said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Because one of them retired when he was 42, playing an FA cup final past 40 and you are writing off signing a player for being 32 because he'd had an injury. Bayo, Tyson, CMS , Garner, Regis, Claridge and various others gave great service at a higher age and Tyson particularly was plagued by injuries, not that the others were immune.

I would re-read what i said chap. I didn't write anyone off for injury.

I simply said someone doesn't stay top class for ever, and that you "Certa
    inly need to weigh up risk, with attitude, wage and injury records. Gaz is pretty much the master though".

You're then trying to quibble with me pointing out that even actual top class players (well above Austin) would have been way beyond their peak in their 50s. Sheringham may well have played until 40 or so, but 50s is a different thing entirely, i.e. top class isn't top class forever.

• edited May 2022

They've actually barely separated us (zoom in on the middle at the far end) - which makes you wonder why they bothered at all?