Skip to content

Match day thread: play-offs Home Leg

Comments

• @drcongo said:
    Where we all meeting up then?

Probably in the bar queue.

• Good point.

• I tried to explain proportion to MK fan earlier and I think my head hurts more than theirs does

• @micra said:
    Superb from Rob Couhig; superfluous from @thecatwwfc .

without going all Micra on you, but what is?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I tried to explain proportion to MK fan earlier and I think my head hurts more than theirs does

I suspect it was like a conversation with someone who uses the term, 'Well it's not the Brexit I voted for'.

• @arnos_grove said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I tried to explain proportion to MK fan earlier and I think my head hurts more than theirs does

I suspect it was like a conversation with someone who uses the term, 'Well it's not the Brexit I voted for'.

They didn't seem to think that averaging less than double our attendance despite MK having easily twice the population was a little bit embarrassing - but I guess embarrassment is an alien concept to them too...

• Pre-match playlist suggestions:

Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
    Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand
    Plastic Beach - Gorillaz

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@arnos_grove said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

They didn't seem to think that averaging less than double our attendance despite MK having easily twice the population was a little bit embarrassing - but I guess embarrassment is an alien concept to them too...

They seem to also not quite comprehend their catchment area wasn't something that just happened, it was cherry picked and the stadium they can't fill two thirds of for a play off tie was purpose built for them.

• I've reached that point where I'm not getting any work done now. Just waiting to leave.

• @drcongo said:
    I've reached that point where I'm not getting any work done now. Just waiting to leave.

Yes, things are happening around me and on my screen (no tractors) but it is all an uninteresting low hum...

• It wasn't really purpose built for them though was it?

It was purpose built to allow Winkelman to sell off land to ASDA and other retail outlets at a massive profit, and to host pop concerts. The football club was a vehicle to allow him to do all that.

They are illegitimate, they don't deserve the rivalry that people are giving them. I don't blame Wycombe fans for engaging with them, we love our club and tonight is a massive game. We should all just be glad that we support a proper one.

• @drcongo said:
    I've reached that point where I'm not getting any work done now. Just waiting to leave.

Don't peak too early old son.
    Gonna be a long night.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Why on earth did you try to do that?

• A lot of rival fans couldn't understand the whole PPG thing, or that we'd been in the playoffs the whole season before only dropping out because we didn't play a game that weekend with a 23 team league...

But those tiny details seem to escape their little minds.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Why on earth did you try to do that?

Clearly I woke up in a masochistic mood

• edited May 2022

This is a rivalry btw. There's genuine, palpable hatred - the main ingredient of a rivalry, is that not? I don't feel this towards any other club.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    This is a rivalry btw. There's genuine, palpable hatred - the main ingredient of a rivalry, is that not? I don't feel this towards any other club.

The problem is that they crave legitimacy in the football world, and a rivalry gives them that. Much much better to let them exist in a vacuum and tweet into the yawning void.

• @floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

The problem is that they crave legitimacy in the football world, and a rivalry gives them that. Much much better to let them exist in a vacuum and tweet into the yawning void.

I guess I feel it largely out of a need to be protective of my club - especially after their abhorrent behaviour at the last game.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I guess I feel it largely out of a need to be protective of my club - especially after their abhorrent behaviour at the last game.

I completely understand and sympathize with that. As I've said before, if I had to expose myself to 'football twitter,' to the extent that you do, I'd lose my mind. But, the reason Milton Keynes fans are so obnoxious is to create this reaction, to create a rivalry. That's the motivation behind every tweet, every slur, every hideous chant. Ignore them, they don't deserve you attention.

Tonight, when they roll out, 'no one likes us, we don't care,' smile to yourself and remember that they very, very much care that no one likes them, and then remember that we're lucky enough to support a club in one of the golden ages of it's proud 135 year history.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

The trouble is, genuine rivalries are one of the greatest things about being a football supporter.

They in no way deserve that. You've sort of hinted at it when you say they make you feel something that no other football club makes you feel. On that we can agree. I'm the same

• I don't feel any rivalry towards MK. Whilst I think their creation was an appalling stain upon football in the country, I don't particularly hold that against the fans who are just supporting their local team. A generation of their fans have now grown up with them as their local team, hard to hold that against them.

Don't even feel it's a local derby, as it's quite a trek up there. I dislike Winkleman intently, but can't bring myself to hate their players, fans etc. That might change if they keep up their disgusting abuse of Akinfenwa mind you!

• A generation? They were founded in 2004!

• Really, it's getting to the point where "no-one likes us, we don't care" pertains to us more than anyone, given how opposing entitled clubs and their fans see us.

• 'no one likes us, but it makes the opposition view on Ringing the Blues more entertaining,' doesn't quite scan...

• I think that's a result of having to rely on "the internet" Shev. If you meet fans at games and elsewhere, people generally like us

• I'm not saying this out of some attempt at virtue signalling - there is no real "virtue" here, no-one cares about my gesture and you could argue I'm doing my own club a disservice by not buying a ticket/Vipienne ticket/whatever - but I still won't have anything to do with the Franchise, so I'll be reliant purely on live text updates for the Playoff semis.

The only thing I wish for them is to go bust. As others have said, let's not give them the benefit of thinking this is a real rivalry. Even if you took out their origin story, it's an odd game to consider as a derby when there are so many closer clubs - let Northampton Town be their rivals.

• @floyd yeah, so if they have a 25 year old supporting them. They'll pretty have been the local team most of his/her life.

Anyway, don't want to sound like I'm defending them! They stole a place in the league, which is an absolute disgrace. Just saying I don't blame the younger generation in the town for latching on to them.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    @floyd yeah, so if they have a 25 year old supporting them. They'll pretty have been the local team most of his/her life.

Anyway, don't want to sound like I'm defending them! They stole a place in the league, which is an absolute disgrace. Just saying I don't blame the younger generation in the town for latching on to them.

Exactly, anyone under 25 won’t understand the whole Wimbledon thing. Franchise will have been there ever since they started following football.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    @floyd yeah, so if they have a 25 year old supporting them. They'll pretty have been the local team most of his/her life.

You're right in that regard of course. And in some ways they've done well building a medium sized lower league fanbase in just a few years.

• How long do you think it'll be before they start chanting about Bayo again? They will know and remember the reaction that it got and it'll only be a match of time before it'll happen again.
    I bet the Sky Director will have this finger hovering over the mute button quite a lot tonight!