Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

1234568»

Comments

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I watched it at home, no travel problems, cheap beer, excellent toilet facilities, not policed by extras from SAS: Who Dares Wins and the added pleasure of @bluntphil and Nick Freeman telling me what I was seeing.

I'm sure the players would love it if everyone didn't bother going :D

I help sell out the home games @Malone I can't do everything for them.

• The stewarding at Plough Lane reminded me of Rushden & Diamonds away a few years back. Also on a par with Elland Road when we drew 1-1 up there.

“How to win friends & influence them not to come back again”.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I watched it at home, no travel problems, cheap beer, excellent toilet facilities, not policed by extras from SAS: Who Dares Wins and the added pleasure of @bluntphil and Nick Freeman telling me what I was seeing.

Don’t forget getting there nice and early to get a good view, only to have it blocked by the 2.59 brigade.

My £10 went to WWFC, which was probably as good as giving £25 to Wimbledon to cheer the team on in person.

• edited April 2022

Interesting to read @Jonny_King's report. I had a ticket in the home end. Walked in with a capped plastic bottle, all of the four stewards I passed saw it and didn't react. No frisking or bag search. Inside the ground there was one steward standing up, obstructing the view of a few fans. One called over to a supervisor as he passed, the supervisor then went over to the steward and got him to move back to the tunnel entrance then went and fetched him a stool. All the other stewards were doing their utmost to keep their heads below the level of the barrier, some even twisting their necks most uncomfortably to do so.

• I had similar experience to @aloysius. Bought a ticket in the big stand yesterday morning, no hassle getting through the barriers, no queue. Excellent facilities inside, wide concourse, lots of bars and food outlets, and loos. Not a great result, of course, but I'm glad I made the effort to go.

• edited April 2022

As a veggie, you're lucky if you get anything that's not a cheese and onion pie (so eating at the ground is often a non-starter for vegans), but their sweet potato, spinach and coconut pie was top-notch - and I didn't have to take out a mortgage to buy it! Reasonably priced food at the footy? Whatever next...

• @ReturnToSenda When we first played Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium I took my vegetarian daughter. There was NO vegetarian food at all in the away end.

Being a protective dad I really kicked off about it & they brought a manager round from the main offices. His response was (sic) “We didn’t think vegetarians came to football”. After a few choice words some special food was prepared & sent round from the hospitality area. In the immortal words “You couldn’t make it up!”.

• edited April 2022

@A_Worboys said:
    “We didn’t think vegetarians came to football”

Sadly that still seems to be the attitude at a lot of grounds!

• @Jonny_King said:
    Re the stewards. Whilst I couldn't see what the scuffling was about, I do agree that the stewarding was over the top and, in my opinion, contributed to some of the problems.

As others have said, there was a hugely disproportionate number of stewards in the away end, who, unlike at Adams Park for example, made no effort not to block fans' view of the pitch. Almost all of them were huge and decked out as if they were about to abseil through the windows of an embassy. They appeared to be an outside security firm rather than an in-house team, judging by the branding on their clothes. They honestly looked more like a paramilitary unit than a stewarding team and everything about them was in stark contrast to the happy smiley people at Adams Park (although we know they can be overly soft at times, so I'm not saying we have it spot on).

I didn't have a problem being searched, but it was weird seeing people clearly in their 70's being patted down, especially given the queues outside the ground. Inside the ground the stewards were, at best, overzealous. There was definitely a lot of needless posturing and eyeballing the crowd. There was an air of unease and you could have predicted they were going to go steaming in at the first excuse. One came striding up to my mate, who was drinking from a bottle and demanded to see the bottle, before walking off again with no explanation as far as I'm aware. I heard a rumour someone was kicked out for having a bottle with a lid on. May not be true, but would fit. If true - just take the lid away, particularly as this would presumably be an oversight by the tea bar staff, rather than the heinous crime of bottle cap smuggling. I even saw one steward impatiently move on two fans who were chatting to the media guy (Ryan?) over the advertising hoardings. Even within the confines of the away stand, they seemed to be strictly policing fans' movement.

They seemed geared for trouble, which is curious given our generally good reputation (I know we have a 'yoof' element, same as most clubs, but ours isn't particularly big/intimidating). Didn't some boffin work out several years ago that treating fans like potential troublemakers was far more likely to lead to trouble than if you just treat them as normal people? There was a female steward (who wasn't dressed as Robocop's little brother, so possibly actually worked for the club) who was doing her best to be friendly after one of the incidents, even joining in some of the singing and this alone seemed to have a positive effect, so credit to her.

I can't comment on the throwings-out. Someone threw a tennis ball onto the pitch, which is obviously turbo-dumb, but there seemed to be half a dozen being thrown out, which I'm guessing was due to fans reacting angrily. Some of the ejections seemed heavy-handed to me, but some of the fans were fighting back, so perhaps it was necessary. You shouldn't be grabbing/holding people by the neck though, unless in self-defence. I wasn't directly affected by the stewards, but I definitely felt uneasy about them, which distracted (and detracted) from my enjoyment of the game. You shouldn't have to go to a game and worry that the people supposedly there to ensure your safety might tear you from your seat at any moment.

I would be very interested to know more about this security company and what training they actually have for dealing with football fans. It's depressing that we just accept this kind of treatment. Some stewarding teams seem to act more as a private army, thinking/knowing they can get away with it because its football fans (Remember Elland Road?) These guys seemed more like doormen than stewards and that is just unacceptable at a professional football club in 2022.

I understand Wimbledon's stewards have already been complained about by other fan groups this season and you would hope that they will assess their stewarding arrangement at the end of the season.

Doubt it though.

(Sorry for the War and Peace post)

Echoed every one of my thoughts.

I know that a tennis ball is seen as a "missile" and should not be tolerated for want of encouragement to throw anything. But after 30 minutes of not being able to figure out who did....use some common sense and just drop it. Nobody got hurt and they never would have done. It was a tennis ball. Wait until someone like Millwall turns up with bottles and coins.

They were so set on there being a fight. The only one that came away with any credit was the female in the red jacket who came over dancing when we scored! That's what football needs! If they had joined in and had a bit of banter with us, I guarantee there would have been no problem.

Respect works both ways.

• @thecatwwfc said
    Respect works both ways

Indeed it does, that's why throwing a missile isn't to be tolerated under any circumstance.
    It's bo**ocks to suggest they shouldn't eject the individual if identified. From those checking their social media - who appeared to recognise the individual being ejected - it appeared he was handed over to the police.
    Hopefully he'll get a banning order from football grounds as a consequence and it will serve as a deterant to both him and his "crew".
    Just because Millwall might throw coins/bottles doesn't mean we need to accept people throwing tennis balls.
    Ask yourself where it ends if throwing tennis balls is seen as acceptable? It's coins & bottles.

• @Twizz said:

@thecatwwfc said
    Respect works both ways

Indeed it does, that's why throwing a missile isn't to be tolerated under any circumstance.
    It's bo**ocks to suggest they shouldn't eject the individual if identified. From those checking their social media - who appeared to recognise the individual being ejected - it appeared he was handed over to the police.
    Hopefully he'll get a banning order from football grounds as a consequence and it will serve as a deterant to both him and his "crew".
    Just because Millwall might throw coins/bottles doesn't mean we need to accept people throwing tennis balls.
    Ask yourself where it ends if throwing tennis balls is seen as acceptable? It's coins & bottles.

Ok I see what you are saying and I actually agree. I suppose my argument was actually with the way the stewards gathered and were all looking up, whispering and pointing - it probably antagonised similar types of cretin. I am not condoning throwing anything on the pitch, more so the way it was dealt with. When I said "drop it" - I do not mean let him get away with it. I'm sure they have the ability to look back on cameras and report it back to WWFC and the necessary.

• Throwing the ball is pretty dim anyway, but when doing it when your team are trying to score from a corner, it's absolutely moronic.

• Maybe they just got their Wimbledons mixed up

• It is ridiculous but when put in context, I imagine it was to impress his mates and was obviously not actioned with malice or with intent to hurt anyone. A FBO (as suggested by @Twizz) is a bit extreme. A slap on the wrist a more reasonable punishment.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Maybe they just got their Wimbledons mixed up

Isn’t that the point of the ‘gesture’?

• Was anyone else getting really peeved with the loud tannoy system and choice of music? I'm guessing that was the aim....to drown us out and give us all a headache.

I couldn't help but think if I'd given in to my 5 year old son who was desperate to go that he would have hated every minute of it.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Was anyone else getting really peeved with the loud tannoy system and choice of music? I'm guessing that was the aim....to drown us out and give us all a headache.

Are you still talking about Wimbledon, or Adams Park??

• @Jonny_King said:

I would be very interested to know more about this security company and what training they actually have for dealing with football fans. It's depressing that we just accept this kind of treatment. Some stewarding teams seem to act more as a private army, thinking/knowing they can get away with it because its football fans (Remember Elland Road?) These guys seemed more like doormen than stewards and that is just unacceptable at a professional football club in 2022.

That game at Leeds was absurd. The stewarding managed to piss off everyone, despite there having been no problems whatsoever until they decided to create them.

I believe you can request any cctv footage you’re in: https://www.gov.uk/request-cctv-footage-of-yourself. I’m not exactly sure how this applies in the context of a football match with multiple people there etc. But it might be worth looking into in order to substantiate any complaint. Multiple people raising concerns about the stewards online and outside after the game would suggest that there is a problem with their approach.

• Not the first time this season clubs have pointed out their personnel look and act more like Spetznaz agents than stewards: https://www.thickaccent.com/2022/01/28/twitter-baffled-as-stewards-don-all-black-attire-with-balaclavas-during-league-one-game/

• @Glenactico said:

@Jonny_King said:

That game at Leeds was absurd. The stewarding managed to piss off everyone, despite there having been no problems whatsoever until they decided to create them.

I believe you can request any cctv footage you’re in: https://www.gov.uk/request-cctv-footage-of-yourself. I’m not exactly sure how this applies in the context of a football match with multiple people there etc. But it might be worth looking into in order to substantiate any complaint. Multiple people raising concerns about the stewards online and outside after the game would suggest that there is a problem with their approach.

Not sure many would be brave enough to do that, and catch sight of themselves gurning and screaming abuse :D

• I think the problems experienced at Wimbledon were due to the fact the franchise went way overboard last week. After they scored there was the full works, pyro and pitch invasion. Not just your regular pitch invasion either, one fan ran over to the Wimbledon fans on the left and goaded the whole stand before taken down by security and then assaulted by a fan!

I'm sure the Security were given an absolute roasting for a) not completing thorough searches for Pyro and b) failure to control the fans.

Large cases of disorder outside after the game also, so it's no wonder our fans bore the brunt of the backlash as I imagine Wimbledon would have been potentially issued with fines.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, any fan following Wycombe for a considerable period would have known that a draw away at a Wimbledon team fighting for survival would be a likely result. We go on and keep fighting, the players are really going to need us on Saturday. Even at a goal down, this will never be over until the final whistle blows. We beat Wednesday last year and we can beat them again!

• Will all these comments end up with AFC Wimbledon? If not what lessons can they learn?

• The MK trouble in the last home game makes their outlook a lot more understandable now!

• that article linked to above dates back to before the MK Dons game

• Not sure previous League One argy-bargy amongst football fans requires the deployment of anonymous special forces though.

• Phil’s comment on commentary about helicopters overhead makes sense now - just that at the time he didn’t mention any people dressed in black abseiling down from them...