Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• Looking through the remaining fixtures, for the thousandth time!! 4 points does it?

• @floyd said:
    It wouldn't be a local away game without some allocated seating carnage. It's one of our finest traditions.

Like all sets of fans don't do the same? It didn't seem that bad apart from people standing in the stairways.

• Anyone got one of those remotes from the film Click where you can speed up time? 2.45pm on Saturday would be a nice place to fast forward to.

• I admit that I may lean more to the glass half empty side of things when it comes to performances and results like today’s but I’m surprised by the number of positive comments on here after that display.

We were very poor through the entirety of the game. Guilty of too many rushed passes to nobody, indecision at the back and a real lack of quality in our approach play. We resorted to loose long balls early and it never worked. If GA told them to play like that he got it wrong but most of the team were off the pace anyway so they take equal blame.

It’s not the end of the world but it does feel, at least to me, that todays result is one nail in the coffin for our playoff hopes. A real missed opportunity that with the other result would have left it firmly in our hands. Gareth McCleary seemed to feel the same judging by his reaction at the final whistle.

Here’s hoping the ‘other’ Wycombe turn up on Saturday. They’ll need to, Wednesday have looked increasingly strong the second half of this season.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Agree it's an odd looking ground but seems like it is too small for them and has been built to be built on should funds and need allow, bit odd only being able to accommodate 1200 away with the way L1 has been going recently, handy enough however the low stands and the large amount of stewards meant the view wasn't great in some places.

The away end holds 1465 but is currently restricted to 1200.

A sold out game does not include corporate seats which total 800. I understand well over half of these were not sold today even though the game had “sold out”.

Hence the gate being around 700 short of capacity.

• The heroes of Friday are not shite today and the management team did not get it wrong. There were two teams playing today...one for their survival. What else was going to happen after an early goal for the home side against the run of play? There seems to be a lot of wisdom after the fact. We would not have won if Kaikai had started any more than if Bayo had started. It was a tough game and we scrambled a point that possibly we did not deserve. Still in our hands. Two to go!

• @Wendoverman said:
    The heroes of Friday are not shite today and the management team did not get it wrong. There were two teams playing today...one for their survival. What else was going to happen after an early goal for the home side against the run of play? There seems to be a lot of wisdom after the fact. We would not have won if Kaikai had started any more than if Bayo had started. It was a tough game and we scrambled a point that possibly we did not deserve. Still in our hands. Two to go!

Unfortunately it’s not in our hands though. It would have been if we’d won.

• Not entirely

• Actually, maybe it would have been with Plymouth and Sunderland drawing. Anyway, coulda woulda shoulda...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Actually, maybe it would have been with Plymouth and Sunderland drawing. Anyway, coulda woulda shoulda...

Yep.

• edited April 2022

What will be will be. Good season regardless and we'll be right in the mix again next season if we are still in this division. Things are great.

• @Jonny said:
    Anyone got one of those remotes from the film Click where you can speed up time? 2.45pm on Saturday would be a nice place to fast forward to.

My summer with Gareth.

• @Glenactico said:
    It’s an easy walk from Wimbledon station, which is only 10 mins or so from Waterloo.

@drcongo said:
    Kaikai has been excellent every time he’s played.

Apart from that absolute hash of a great chance within mins of coming on.

Would love to see that cross again for the goal too. It looked like a mishit job, but it worked whatever happened!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Anyone know what that supporter got dragged out for in the second half? And what the fuck was that tennis ball about?

"That" supporter?

There was at least 6 hauled out, by what I have to say is the most severe, brutal looking set of stewards I've ever seen!

Making for the most insane sight watching a couple of midget teen chavs actually trying to struggle against 6ft 2 brick sh!Thouses! Bizarre stuff

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:
    It wouldn't be a local away game without some allocated seating carnage. It's one of our finest traditions.

Like all sets of fans don't do the same? It didn't seem that bad apart from people standing in the stairways.

For all my talk of getting there early, some traffic and directional goonery saw me and pal get there at 3pm, no better than the usual suspects :D

Did attempt to get to the allocated seat, but no chance, so went a few rows ahead of it.
    Slightly awkward as although the 10 or so rows ahead were all standing, I felt a little guilty at standing when the small oldie behind me wasn't.

Luckily she moved at half time, as there was no way you'd see anything behind rows of standers at the end we're attacking.

• @BlueBoy said:

@Wendoverman said:
    The heroes of Friday are not shite today and the management team did not get it wrong. There were two teams playing today...one for their survival. What else was going to happen after an early goal for the home side against the run of play? There seems to be a lot of wisdom after the fact. We would not have won if Kaikai had started any more than if Bayo had started. It was a tough game and we scrambled a point that possibly we did not deserve. Still in our hands. Two to go!

Unfortunately it’s not in our hands though. It would have been if we’d won.

Plymouth being away to Wigan gives every likelihood of us having it in our own hands if we can win next week.
    Big if though. We'll have to get it properly spot on in all ways.

• Hogan's OOC, so it wouldn't even have to be mutual

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hogan's OOC, so it wouldn't even have to be mutual

Different thread, but fair comment.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

I've got no idea what other fans away ends are like.

• edited April 2022

That was rhetorical - it's not an exclusively Wycombe thing. The sooner every away end is standing, the better.

• It is absurd how few standing options there are in the third tier. I've no idea why Wimbledon felt the need to build an all-seater ground. I think it's probably more of a problem at Wycombe given our greater proportion of older supporters and families.

• edited April 2022

Does that away end only take 1,200? Or is there potential for more?

There seemed to be quite a lot of the front seats cordoned off, and a fair few spaces free even at 3pm. Unless there was a lot of cramming extras into rows and steps areas, but I didn't see much of that, bar short spells in the 2nd half.

• @Malone said:

There seemed to be quite a lot of the front seats cordoned off, and a fair few spaces free even at 3pm. Unless there was a lot of cramming extras into rows and steps areas, but I didn't see much of that, bar short spells in the 2nd half.

The ground is currently operating around 1000 below full capacity for health and safety reasons. That’s spread across all four sides so it probably seats another 200 or so.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Anyone know what that supporter got dragged out for in the second half? And what the fuck was that tennis ball about?

"That" supporter?

There was at least 6 hauled out, by what I have to say is the most severe, brutal looking set of stewards I've ever seen!

Making for the most insane sight watching a couple of midget teen chavs actually trying to struggle against 6ft 2 brick sh!Thouses! Bizarre stuff

I think their stewards/security were appalling. It shouldn't take 6 burly men to haul out a kid that couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag.

They were whispering and looking up all game, which antogonises certain individuals.

Credit to the female steward that was obviously sent to difuse the situation and started singing and dancing with the wycombe fans after Bayo's goal.

Also a little bit disappointed that the players didn't come to clap the fans after, bar Scowen and Vokes. They all deemed it more important to leg it down the tunnell for what appeared like a fight!

All in all, could have been worse today as we didn't turn up. Credit to the team for digging in when it clearly wasn't going for us. Strange little stadium. Felt very "temporary "

• @BlueBoy said:

@Malone said:

The ground is currently operating around 1000 below full capacity for health and safety reasons. That’s spread across all four sides so it probably seats another 200 or so.

Makes sense, as although you'll always get a few who can't make it after buying tickets, there did seem a surprising amount of options for late arrivals.
    Luckily!

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

"That" supporter?

I think their stewards/security were appalling. It shouldn't take 6 burly men to haul out a kid that couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag.

They were whispering and looking up all game, which antogonises certain individuals.

Credit to the female steward that was obviously sent to difuse the situation and started singing and dancing with the wycombe fans after Bayo's goal.

Also a little bit disappointed that the players didn't come to clap the fans after, bar Scowen and Vokes. They all deemed it more important to leg it down the tunnell for what appeared like a fight!

All in all, could have been worse today as we didn't turn up. Credit to the team for digging in when it clearly wasn't going for us. Strange little stadium. Felt very "temporary "

Yes, it doesn't look particularly well thought out in terms of potential to expand.
    But maybe 9,000 is plenty for their foreseeable future?

Some donut chanted "you're only here for the Wycombe" to me in the queue.

I turned round and he clocked my gold shirt was actually a Wycombe shirt and shut up.
    Did seem quite a few "new" fans there today!

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

"That" supporter?

Yes, it doesn't look particularly well thought out in terms of potential to expand.
    But maybe 9,000 is plenty for their foreseeable future?

Some donut chanted "you're only here for the Wycombe" to me in the queue.

I turned round and he clocked my gold shirt was actually a Wycombe shirt and shut up.
    Did seem quite a few "new" fans there today!

Haha bizarre. I'm all for new fans. As long as they realise that "job" of a football fan is to support their team. Not abuse every passer by and drink as many jagger bombs as you can in the pub before.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

"That" supporter?

Bayo sprinted in pretty quickly, presumably to intervene in said scrap. I don’t encourage fighting but I think when it occurs I’d rather see the players sticking up for their team mates. Often a sign of poor morale when a scrap breaks out and the rest of the team fail to backup whoever is involved.

• Will be interesting whether our 1.25 days of extra recovery time vs Sheffield Weds makes a difference on Sat.