Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• Disappointing but not surprising result. At least we’ll be spared the debate about whether the next two games are must win or not.

• Surely @ReturnToSenda is the only person we can blame for us not winning that. No such things as a bogey team?

LET’S GET ‘IM

• You don't see a @Wanderers82 for weeks and then five come at once. Still in it. Exciting times.

• we don't deserve to make playoffs if we can't beat Wimbledon and Gillingham, 2 teams with worst form in the league, GA found wanting , Top Top man manager but not great tactician

• @floyd said:
    Disappointing but not surprising result. At least we’ll be spared the debate about whether the next two games are must win or not.

There's definitely a world where we finish on 80 points and Plymouth finish on on 79.

• I sometimes wish in times like this both managers could agree on a ‘next goal wins’ arrangement at the end of the 90. Would be complete carnage, and very rarely would you have agreement from both managers, but today I feel it would have been a perfect case study for it.

Both sets of fans leaving a little dissatisfied with only a point today after a draw that doesn’t really help either side.

Some good, some bad today. Unlucky to concede in the way we did, but generally responded well and looked better as the game went on. Very strange feeling being 5th and yet still feeling as if we’re on the back foot, but let’s see what the final few weeks brings.

The natural pessimist within me believes we might be out of chances this season due to the sheer strength of the top 7/8 teams all season, but give me a few days and I’ll be right up for it again vs Sheffield Weds.

On team selection, I’d leave it the same but swap Kaikai for Horgan next week. Out of everyone in the squad, Kaikai probably has the most right to feel aggrieved in that he’s often played really well and not got the minutes. I’m not a Horgan basher, but I feel in a must-win game we get more from Kaikai.

• @Chris said:

@floyd said:
    Disappointing but not surprising result. At least we’ll be spared the debate about whether the next two games are must win or not.

There's definitely a world where we finish on 80 points and Plymouth finish on on 79.

Yes. The more I look at the table the more I think it’s between us and Plymouth.

• Mind you, Sunderland don’t have the easiest run-in. Cambridge next week, who are a total curates egg, and then Rotherham and Morecambe, two teams with everything to play for.

• Disappointing to only get a draw but we are still in it. Looks like we need to win both. Keep the faith and if we don’t get there, it’s still been a great season.

• I actually think the Gillingham and Wimbledon away trips were always going to be very tricky. Disappointing, but neither were gimmes. Obviously no real room for error now, but beat Wednesday and we should be alive in the final game!

• edited April 2022

PNL right back in this based on results today too

• Have a feeling that will prove to be a useful point.

It would be interesting to see our PPG average for games where we end up (based on the stats) having more possession compared to our average when we have less. I would guess it’s something like half as many.

• No panic. Today was predictable against our bogey team?

I had 1 eye on the Plymouth game and both teams looked absolutely legless at the end.

Burton could be some day out. Believe!!!

• @username123 said:
    PNL right back in this based on results today too

It would take an extraordinary set of results for them to get in.

• edited April 2022

Decent point today, but the behaviour from some of our supporters was unacceptable.

• Strange ground, felt a bit Lego-brick-like, reminded me of Barnet's new one but on a slightly bigger scale. Great food options in the home end ?

As for the football.... I wonder how different this season would be if we'd played Kaikai more. Every time I've seen him he's looked so sharp and creative. I wasn't entirely sure what the 3232 formation was achieving until he came on and provided real attacking threat.

As for the rest... We looked curiously stilted for such a big match, resorting more and more to long ball. There certainly wasn't the gulf in class the table suggests there should be. Still, nice to have Stewart, Gape and Kaikai back. Just Thompson, Mehmeti and Wing out at the moment, right? So if we do make the play offs we should have lots of options.

• I fear Thompson and Mehmeti are unlikely to participate in the playoffs should hell freeze over and we make it to them in the first place.

• Kaikai has been excellent every time he’s played.

• Blimey, some right bed wetters appeared on here !! OK we didn't win, but we didn't lose either.

We're in 5th place and could very easily win our last 2 games, if we do we'll be in the play offs. Get a grip for God's sake !!

• Do people usually boo the players off when we're losing at half time away from home? Weird.

• Better second half as the opposition tired but still were not ‘at it’ as we usually are and didn’t do enough to win the game. Wimbledon certainly deserved a point and gave it absolutely everything. I wasn’t convinced by the double sub but Bayo did well to get the equaliser and Kaikai was excellent when he came on later and definitely deserves to start ahead of Hanlan on Saturday who had a tough afternoon today. We are certainly missing Mehmeti as it puts too much pressure on McCleary so adding Kaikai as a threat into feet will also help. We also miss Wing’s progression of the ball through the midfield but Gape has done well for what he’s been asked to do.

It’s now well and truly out of our hands but if we can beat Wednesday (a HUGE ask as, for me, they are the best side we’ve played this season bar Wigan) you never know with the pressures of the final day.

• AFC were scrapping for everything so I can’t complain about the result and I kinda want them to stay up as I love their story. If only all the Dons fans I’ve met, passed, conversed or had any dealings with at all haven’t been a bunch of chippy twots . Hey ho on to Saturday haven’t given up on the season yet.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Blimey, some right bed wetters appeared on here !! OK we didn't win, but we didn't lose either.

We're in 5th place and could very easily win our last 2 games, if we do we'll be in the play offs. Get a grip for God's sake !!

Agree re. the bed-wetting, but two wins doesn't guarantee us play-offs!

• Probably the fair result. Had the better of the start but couldn't make good enough chances. 2nd we made changes too early, but something needed to change as Hanlan wasn't effective.

Still a good chase on, gotta think Plymouth will drop points, we need to beat Weds, and it'll come down to a barnburning last day

• @thedieharder said:
    Decent point today, but the behaviour from some of our supporters was unacceptable.

I agree. Someone knocked my pint over at the halfway house, promises to pay and did a runner.

• Anyone know what that supporter got dragged out for in the second half? And what the fuck was that tennis ball about?

• Agree it's an odd looking ground but seems like it is too small for them and has been built to be built on should funds and need allow, bit odd only being able to accommodate 1200 away with the way L1 has been going recently, handy enough however the low stands and the large amount of stewards meant the view wasn't great in some places. They didn't cause the issues but stewarding wasn't great, none of them seemed to know where any of the seats were and they weren't interested in moving anyone sat in incorrect seats or helping find gaps. I sat in the wrong seat by mistake but there weren't many options to move. Also, if they're going to stand sideways it would help if some were a little less rotund , actually spread out and spent less time watching the game, chatting to their mates and wandering up and down. They actually preferred people standing on the stairs at the beginning of the second half to the seats down the front or removing the netting even where they had to allowed people to sit in the first half, bit of a mess and didn't set them up well when there was a bit of grief later.
    Several thrown out, I think after something was thrown and people being obstructive when stewards tried to go in but I'd moved by then. It's absolutely the people you'd expect it to be btw.

• Definitely all to play for in the last 2 games, I'm sure they'll be more surprise results and twists and turns. Just great that we're involved in such an exciting season.

Can't see that GA got anything wrong today. Wimbledon scored a slightly fortuitous opener and were able to sit back, defend and frustrate us. GA was proactive with his subs and they all made an impact in getting us back in the game.

• It wouldn't be a local away game without some allocated seating carnage. It's one of our finest traditions.

• On the football side first half we just didn't get going and they were never going to lie down and let us walk over them in their position whatever the league table may say about their quality, bit better in the second but the free flowing football needs people to be on it all over and we weren't, not to kick Horgan but without Anis now would be a great time to chip in a goal or two. Glad for the big man, these sort of contributions are why he's still working out and turning up.
    I'm happy while we still have a chance although we should realise seventh wouldn't be a disastrous finish and if we are in L1 next season it will be even harder, with Derby and Posh (they can't can they) and some notable others in the same division expect the crappy comments to be relentless as well as the competition