Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

123457»

Comments

• Personally, I think you're being unfair to Chris Errington; his review looks pretty fair. People are justified in complaining about our timewasting. I enjoy watching us do it (even though I know I ethically shouldn't), but we are considerably worse than 95% of teams I've ever watched hold a lead in a second half against us.

• Yes, for all the good work they do, their stats game is at most generous a bit poorly researched, and at worst, utterly cynically misleading.

• There was a gentleman and his son next to us in our usual FA stand seats, they were talking in a foreign language - struck up a conversation with them, turns out they’re from Finland. They come over every Easter and try to watch as many games at different grounds as possible.

Picked a cracking game to watch us, they’re going to Watford today, Newcastle tomorrow, then AFC Wimbledon on Mon so will get to watch us again.

Lovely guys too.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

Personally, I think you're being unfair to Chris Errington; his review looks pretty fair. People are justified in complaining about our timewasting. I enjoy watching us do it (even though I know I ethically shouldn't), but we are considerably worse than 95% of teams I've ever watched hold a lead in a second half against us.

Nah, it's just yet more of the usual anti-Wycombe snobbery (e.g. the snide little dig at our average attendance).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    But I think we'll come 5th and play Sunderland ?

And Scowen scores the winner just to piss them off even more.

• Nah, it's just yet more of the usual anti-Wycombe snobbery (e.g. the snide little dig at our average attendance).

You’re right. It is what fans and biased scribes revert to when their team has lost. Just checked the League One Facebook page after Rotherham’s 1-0 win v.Ipswich and sample comments: ‘Rotherham players spending most of their time falling to the floor’, ‘biggest bunch of cheats’ etc. There are similar comments aimed at every team every week.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    There was a gentleman and his son next to us in our usual FA stand seats, they were talking in a foreign language - struck up a conversation with them, turns out they’re from Finland. They come over every Easter and try to watch as many games at different grounds as possible.

Picked a cracking game to watch us, they’re going to Watford today, Newcastle tomorrow, then AFC Wimbledon on Mon so will get to watch us again.

Lovely guys too.

Finns are brought up believing that other countries find them cold and unapproachable, and I think this may play a part in them actually being incredibly warm, friendly people. I love the Finns.

• All the Finns I have ever met have been terrific and to a man and woman able to easily drink me under the table

• edited April 2022

I love that their national airline used to have a flight 666 to HEL(sinki)

• Helsinki in the summer is a fabulous place.

• @drcongo said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:
    There was a gentleman and his son next to us in our usual FA stand seats, they were talking in a foreign language - struck up a conversation with them, turns out they’re from Finland. They come over every Easter and try to watch as many games at different grounds as possible.

Lovely guys too.

Finns are brought up believing that other countries find them cold and unapproachable, and I think this may play a part in them actually being incredibly warm, friendly people. I love the Finns.

Very true. I worked with a fella from Finland. Absolute gent.

• I have half-Finnish cousins. Great people, but they never get anything done.

• @Shev said:
    I have half-Finnish cousins. Great people, but they never get anything done.

BOOOOOOOO

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Bacon_Sandwich said:

Personally, I think you're being unfair to Chris Errington; his review looks pretty fair. People are justified in complaining about our timewasting. I enjoy watching us do it (even though I know I ethically shouldn't), but we are considerably worse than 95% of teams I've ever watched hold a lead in a second half against us.

Nah, it's just yet more of the usual anti-Wycombe snobbery (e.g. the snide little dig at our average attendance).

Fair enough, in all honesty, I think this narrative has helped us keep certain players as some managers think they only suit 'our style'. A load of crap, honestly. Their loss is our gain though.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Bacon_Sandwich said:

Fair enough, in all honesty, I think this narrative has helped us keep certain players as some managers think they only suit 'our style'. A load of crap, honestly. Their loss is our gain though.

A certain manager did imply as much after we beat a certain team earlier this season

• edited April 2022

We have a couple of players, one in particular who wears pink, who take far longer than most when we’re leading. As a collective we’re really not that much worse than other teams though (now).

4 or 5 years ago it was at times embarrassing to watch. I remember one game in particular at Portsmouth where we were truly pushing the limits of what was acceptable in terms of slowing the game down. It was tough to watch.

Through games like that we gained a deserved reputation but I do think it’s no longer applicable. It’s just a preconception that’s stuck. Fans come with that preconception and go with it. All teams slow the game when winning late on. Plymouth on Saturday took an age with their set pieces before going 1-0 down, especially their ‘keeper.

There is another part to the frequent complaints though, our physicality. We still excel at this and it’s up to teams to match it, which on occasions they do. It’s for the referee to determine what’s fair and I believe our disciplinary record has been decent for some time now.

If you group the perceived time wasting and physicality together it’s an easy rhetoric. The last 9 games (well, 8 of them) have been a real joy to watch and this can be extended to all season regarding elements of our attacking play.

Let them whinge. They’re wrong and it seems to help us.

• Disciplinary record is decent, but we do give away the most fouls in the league

• @BlueBoy said:
    We have a couple of players, one in particular who wears pink, who take far longer than most when we’re leading. As a collective we’re really not that much worse than other teams though (now).

4 or 5 years ago it was at times embarrassing to watch. I remember one game in particular at Portsmouth where we were truly pushing the limits of what was acceptable in terms of slowing the game down. It was tough to watch.

Through games like that we gained a deserved reputation but I do think it’s no longer applicable. It’s just a preconception that’s stuck. Fans come with that preconception and go with it. All teams slow the game when winning late on. Plymouth on Saturday took an age with their set pieces before going 1-0 down, especially their ‘keeper.

There is another part to the frequent complaints though, our physicality. We still excel at this and it’s up to teams to match it, which on occasions they do. It’s for the referee to determine what’s fair and I believe our disciplinary record has been decent for some time now.

If you group the perceived time wasting and physicality together it’s an easy rhetoric. The last 9 games (well, 8 of them) have been a real joy to watch and this can be extended to all season regarding elements of our attacking play.

Let them whinge. They’re wrong and it seems to help us.

But we've started taking short goal kicks - I thought that was a sign of a team "playing the game the right way"tm ?

• What a day. Sun shining, big crowd, lovely IPA in the Vere....and then there was the game....wow! Watched. Both goals back a few times now and they are both truly excellent goals. Can't fault any of our players all were excellent and I have to say, what fun it is to play Plymouth.
    I would watch that every week. COYB