Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• I was surprised that Argyle looked so toothless.

• Yep. Doesn't seem so long ago they went on a supreme run of winning form to gate crash the top of the playoffs.

• Bloomsday went down a treat.

• edited April 2022

They were missing Ryan Hardie and Joe Edwards (captain) today, but they looked downright inept at times

• Reading some salty stuff on the Oxford board
    https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/capitulation.7809/page-9

Ainsworth wouldn't do well at Oxford apparently...

"but not Ainsworth.... he needs a different type of player and a club with a chip on its shoulder...."

The utterly staggering irony of an Oxford fan talking about us as a club having a chip on their shoulder is just unreal.

Hard not to think about that crumbling banner proclaiming "Milk cup winners 1937" or whenever it was...

• @Malone said:
    Reading some salty stuff on the Oxford board

"but not Ainsworth.... he needs a different type of player and a club with a chip on its shoulder...."

The utterly staggering irony of an Oxford fan talking about us as a club having a chip on their shoulder is just unreal.

Hard not to think about that crumbling banner proclaiming "Milk cup winners 1937" or whenever it was...

Hahahahajahaha

• edited April 2022

Fantastic result and a well deserved three points. Vokes was unplayable and the only way they could stop him was by fouling him (and getting away with it). GMac will get all the plaudits, which he deserves, but I don’t think anyone had a bad game.

Plymouth set out their game plan early on - time wasting from the 15 second mark! In all seriousness though, I thought we made them look bang average and they couldn’t deal with our ‘in your face’ approach. They didn’t threaten us at all and never looked like scoring.

I thought the atmosphere was really good today so the acoustics must be worse than I initially thought if Tom says it was naff.

To finish on a sour note, there was a young lad behind the goal who needed medical assistance at the start of second half stoppage time. Sadly, the response was poor and lessons need to be learned from it. The young steward who we initially called over stared at us blankly before finally asking his colleague to deal with it. It took a good 3-4 minutes before anybody came to see what was going on. If the advice from the EFL is not to disturb the match, we must get better at how we respond to such situations. Thankfully, he seems to be okay and probably succumbed to the heat.

• So deluded I started laughing in Spanish

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    So deluded I started laughing in Spanish

I wouldn't even dare read Plymouth's forum, as I'd just get annoyed at the guaranteed deflection away from our great performance onto talk of time wasting.

• @Malone said:
    Reading some salty stuff on the Oxford board

The collective attitude of both the fans and the players always strikes me as the issue with Oxford. Very little heart, and no edge when the going gets tough or on the big occasion.

Wycombe and Ainsworth have tons of heart, and play up for the big games.

I remember JJ saying in an interview that within 10 minutes of the play off final kicking off, he was saying to other Wycombe players that Oxford weren’t up for it, and we would win the game. That game was truly won in the dressing room I believe, and Oxford would do well to learn from it.

So yes, they probably could do with a Gareth Ainsworth in their dressing room.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    So deluded I started laughing in Spanish

I wouldn't even dare read Plymouth's forum, as I'd just get annoyed at the guaranteed deflection away from our great performance onto talk of time wasting.

You say that, but no, most are pretty objective I’d say.

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/wycombe-v-argyle-match-thread.118197/

I’d be fucking livid if I were an Argyle fan who’d travelled the miles to watch that - as at least one of their fans says, they played like nothing rested on that game

• Will give that a read.

Can't be a great trip home on a coach after that one on a warm bank hol!

• People mention the PNLs above - PAFC reminded me of a similar kind of team, one where they play neat passing moves and think that that automatically entitles them to win. Good luck with that.

• edited April 2022

@PBo said:
    People mention the PNLs above - PAFC reminded me of a similar kind of team, one where they play neat passing moves and think that that automatically entitles them to win. Good luck with that.

That's a good shout. Our passing the final third was far more purposeful and incisive than Plymouth's laboured tippy tapping that I'm sure looks good on a stats spreadsheet.

• I mean, they're not where they are for no reason...

• Plymouth’s last 3 games: Sunderland at home, Wigan away and Franchise at home. It’s possible they don’t get another point

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Such a shame the atmosphere is so appalling

We're you even there today ?? Ridiculous comment

• The atmosphere was great today I thought. I’m sat bang in the middle of the family stand and there was chanting from all sides of the ground.

I know the acoustics aren’t great in some parts of the ground. Where do you sit @ReturnToSenda?

• I watched the game sat with the dog in my car, over 3G on my iPad. Amazed to be able to say the stream was faultless, but also, I thought the atmosphere sounded a LOT better than it has in recent weeks.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Plymouth’s last 3 games: Sunderland at home, Wigan away and Franchise at home. It’s possible they don’t get another point

I felt before the game there was a decent chance we leapfrog Argyle. After today I definitely think it’s on.

We totally bossed the game. Tactics bang on.

• I'm in the terrace and the atmosphere was probably the best it's been all season today, if people really don't think that or can't hear it then we really do need to sort the acoustics !!

• I’m going to miss Nick Freeman on co-comms when he’s back in the squad next season. I think he’s probably the best out of any of the players who have taken a turn, good tactical insights and a great rapport with Phil.

• I thought atmosphere was very good. But I also thought Horgan played well so who knows?

• https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12591153/wycombe-2-0-plymouth-league-one-highlights

My word, the pass for the second goal is on another level.

I doubt there were two better goals scored anywhere today.

• edited April 2022

Great performance for what was (on paper) a tricky fixture. But we don’t play on paper and wycombe has such heart from the get go. Great pressing from the kick off and I agree with the other posters, Plymouth just did not seem as motivated as the Blues.

Good to see Dan Scarr back, he is quite a unit now, reads the game and is calm…but the Argyle Centre Backs couldn’t pick a pass all through the second half and the number 11 who was trying to receive was getting quite pissed off with the poor service.

JJ has developed a long throw, who knew (?) but it could be a great weapon. But JJ’s free kicks don’t have the danger of a season or two ago, has he scored any free kick goals this season? Apart from that he had a great game.

McCleary and Vokes are a head above in terms of quality and player of the season should rest on one of those shoulders. And finally Gape was absolutely excellent in what was probably a bit of a trial for him as to whether he stays when his contract expires.

• The atmosphere didn’t reach fever pitch because it didn’t need to. Plymouth barely laid a glove. And you have to say that was our own doing. The high press completely nullified them. Great goals and Forino, after a cagey first 5, was terrific.

• Forino put in a couple of fantastic tackles. I noticed Taff, McCarthy and GA were shouting at him a lot though!

• edited April 2022

Rare grace from a Plymouth manager.

Needs to sort his double negatives though. It's either "didn't play anywhere near...", or "were nowhere near". Not a horrible "didn't play nowhere near".
    Enough to make @Micra turn his phone off in rage.

• Looking at the league table, it shows the fine margins in the game, and this league in particular. I know it's hypothetical, but if we'd beaten Portsmouth and Gillingham we would be in the hunt for the automatic places now!

Unbeaten in 9 though, and it would be a tremendous effort from everyone to carry that through til the end. Proud of the way we have bounced back after our blip when most of us predicted we would fall away.

I love this team.