Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Don't worry. About a thing.

• @Malone said:

Rare grace from a Plymouth manager.

Needs to sort his double negatives though. It's either "didn't play anywhere near...", or "were nowhere near". Not a horrible "didn't play nowhere near".
    Enough to make @Micra turn his phone off in rage.

I don’t do rage or wrath (cf recent @Right_in_the_Middle comment) and I know you’re both joshing but those double negatives (and one or two other grammatical/syntactical lapses) did grate a little but if my German was as good as Herr Schumacher’s English I’d be more than happy. 66 years have taken their toll !

• The points totals at the top of League One are incredibly high. Teams could make 80 points and still not make play offs.

• LX1LX1
    edited April 2022

@Lloyd2084 said:
    The atmosphere was great today I thought. I’m sat bang in the middle of the family stand and there was chanting from all sides of the ground.

I know the acoustics aren’t great in some parts of the ground. Where do you sit @ReturnToSenda?

There was one point in the second half when all three sides were singing 'Wanderers'. It shook me to my spine, not experienced that since the woodlands went

• @ReturnToSenda where do you go in the ground. And how do you measure an atmosphere?

• There was no drum in the terrace today. Every woman and man next to me was singing and chanting. I've stood there since Adams Park was built and that was one of the best atmosphere s from the terrace today. People smiling Ng and hugging...random chants from all areas...everyone immediately joining in with any song..can only beat that with the O'Neill years

• "get your torches out" was my favourite today

• Err.... yesterday

• The atmosphere was brilliant today. Some very good anti Plymouth chanting but always quickly followed with some positive home chanting. Very, very loud in the terrace at times today, great support. I’m not sure how anyone at the ground could think different.

As for the game, that was a commanding performance. More direct and gamesmanship but that was obviously a predefined tactic - we are absolutely in Plymouth’s heads and are a much stronger side than them in one to one games.

McCleary back to his imperious best. Scowen was absolutely unbelievable in central midfield, he was literally (ok, metaphorically) everywhere. And Sam Vokes....he was magnificent - a brilliant number 9 display and we are so lucky to see him in a Wycombe shirt.

That win I think makes sure it is in our hands how. I still think we need 7 points to reach the playoffs for sure. Two away wins and a point against Wednesday would do it, but a lot easier said than done especially given Wimbledon are certainly a bogey side. If we can sneak in though no one will want to play us with our current form.

• Goal and assist of the season on the same day, an insane ball from Hanlan

• An interesting take on the war from the BFP in their latest 'match report'... https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/20072987.garath-mccleary-scores-twice-wycombe-beat-plymouth/

• Huge mention to Scowen. Was worried after a fairly needless yellow right before HT, but harried, chased and was his usual imperious self walking that line superbly for the 2nd half.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    An interesting take on the war from the BFP in their latest 'match report'... https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/20072987.garath-mccleary-scores-twice-wycombe-beat-plymouth/

Fuck me. I mean, I know it’s a genuine human error but who actually signs these off? If that line was written in a national paper it would be regurgitated in the face of the Russian population so quickly by Putin and his cronies.

• edited April 2022

@username123 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    An interesting take on the war from the BFP in their latest 'match report'... https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/20072987.garath-mccleary-scores-twice-wycombe-beat-plymouth/

Fuck me. I mean, I know it’s a genuine human error but who actually signs these off? If that line was written in a national paper it would be regurgitated in the face of the Russian population so quickly by Putin and his cronies.

The whole thing is littered with errors of one description or another, no way they have a proper editorial process (or any, seemingly). The club deserves much better coverage - I'm considering bringing something back myself next season if I have the time.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Dear god - and this from a 'journalist'.

• @ReturnToSenda are you going to answer anyone who's asked where you stand ? Seeing as you thought the atmosphere was so bad and everyone else agrees it was great.

• @micra said:

@Malone said:

Rare grace from a Plymouth manager.

Needs to sort his double negatives though. It's either "didn't play anywhere near...", or "were nowhere near". Not a horrible "didn't play nowhere near".
    Enough to make @Micra turn his phone off in rage.

I don’t do rage or wrath (cf recent @Right_in_the_Middle comment) and I know you’re both joshing but those double negatives (and one or two other grammatical/syntactical lapses) did grate a little but if my German was as good as Herr Schumacher’s English I’d be more than happy. 66 years have taken their toll !

He's a Scouser

• @HolmerBlue said:
    @ReturnToSenda are you going to answer anyone who's asked where you stand ? Seeing as you thought the atmosphere was so bad and everyone else agrees it was great.

It was bad at the time I made that post. It got better, but we still have an acoustic problem in that it doesn't carry far.

• And I think a well-played drum would be a good thing, but that's probably more aggro than it's worth for the club.

• When people moan about the atmosphere I always wonder what they are doing to affect it

• Also, is there a way of pumping the noise from the terrace into the rest of the ground using speakers or something? Or would that be a bit tinpot?

• It's the sort of thing that we would correctly ridicule any other club for doing

• The atmosphere yesterday was excellent throughout the game. Before for Marty Bloomfield and throughout the entire game. One of my priorities would certainly be to re-roof the terrace (maybe a second tier with seats and a new roof) but appreciate that would cost a fortune - the acoustics are genuinely poor but the noise from everyone yesterday was about as good as it’ll ever get, it was very good.

• Probably impractical, but having the away end is the home end would make the world of difference. At how many other grounds is the away end bigger (and acoustically much better) than the home end?

• LX1LX1
    edited April 2022

I'm sure every little thing. Is gonna be alright.

• @Quarterman said:
    The atmosphere yesterday was excellent throughout the game. Before for Marty Bloomfield and throughout the entire game. One of my priorities would certainly be to re-roof the terrace (maybe a second tier with seats and a new roof) but appreciate that would cost a fortune - the acoustics are genuinely poor but the noise from everyone yesterday was about as good as it’ll ever get, it was very good.

Line the away end roof with Rockwool.

• A fantastic display packed full of pace, power and guile. Classic Wycombe!

On the atmosphere, I was sat in Family Stand Block C, and while there were moments, I thought it was pretty flat at times. So much so that McCarthy had to whip up the FS late in the first half, before GA did the same in the closing stages.

Personally I thought the atmosphere against Oxford was much more raucous and well-oiled, but I was much closer to the terrace for that game.

As an ex- terrace attendee, now dad, I’m only going to join in with the clean chants from the FS. The ‘Wanderers’ chant, when sung in unison, does carry well.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

One for any budding journalists or learners of our language.
    The absolute critical difference an "of" can make instead of "by".

Unreal mistake.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Probably impractical, but having the away end is the home end would make the world of difference. At how many other grounds is the away end bigger (and acoustically much better) than the home end?

The debate on noise is a perennial one on here isn't it.

Even Gaz said he had to act as cheerleader today, so he can't have thought it was too amazing.
    But then people in the terrace are adamant it was like some rock concert.

• Were there a few heavy nights last night? Everyone seems to be thinking it's still Friday ?