Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

12346»

Comments

• edited April 2022

Lewis Wing didn't have his best game by any means but he's quite clearly the best equipped technical player we have - even more so than Jacobson. He's certainly more dynamic in transition play. I'll be amazed if we manage to hold onto Wing next season. From what I've seen so far, he's way too good for this level.

• @micra Major League Soccer (so the 'the' is superfluous)

• @frequentstander said:
    Lewis Wing didn't have his best game by any means but he's quite clearly the best equipped technical player we have - even more so than Jacobson. He's certainly more dynamic in transition play. I'll be amazed if we manage to hold onto Wing next season. From what I've seen so far, he's way too good for this level.

Another incentive to win all but one (?2) of our remaining fixtures.

• @micra said:

@frequentstander said:

Another incentive to win all but one (?2) of our remaining fixtures.

Yep and if anyone is going to look good on Wembley's pitch it's Wing. That pitch will suit him so much.

• @micra said:
    Here we go again. MLS. Alright, I know I should probably know what that stands for but Google have started charging me for abbreviation searches.

Astonished to read that the game “passed Wing by”. Makes him sound a bit like Olly Pendlebury. Two goals each as well. I’ve seen virtually nothing of Pendlebury’s play but I’d be surprised if Wing isn’t considered by ‘those who know’ to be streets ahead, a class apart.

Our record this century against Cambridge United is very impressive indeed. In 17 matches, we have won 11 and, incredibly, there has only been one draw. All but three of our wins have been by the odd goal. The last time Cambridge beat us at the Abbey ground was six encounters ago (home and away) in March 2016. With 9 one goal margins and a 1-1 draw, this one looks like being a nail-biter until the 100th minute!

@LX1, @HolmerBlue and @HomeGameRegular could be on the money.

Apologies. I thought all three had it down as 1-1. It was only @HolmerBlue, in fact. So hope he’s wrong of course. On reflection, this surely has to be a win for Wycombe. We are too good currently not to take all three points.

• I think Horgan is under pressure from supporters because he's an attacking player who rarely registers an assist or a goal. It doesn't mean his contribution is actually poor, just that it is perceived that way.

• edited April 2022

@OxfordBlue said:
    I think Horgan is under pressure from supporters because he's an attacking player who rarely registers an assist or a goal. It doesn't mean his contribution is actually poor, just that it is perceived that way.

Yep! Bernardo Silva summed this up well last month. If people actually watched the game properly...

• Horgan and Wing are both playmakers, though Horgan plays more advance, has a bit more spark about him and reads the game better. Wing benefits from having a much more effective shot and the confidence (arrogance?) to take them more often, most from outside the box. When JJ doesn't play we probably need Wing on the pitch for free kicks (though Kaikai might be my first choice for those). But personally I'd prefer to see the safety-first combination of Scowen and Thompson in central midfield behind three from Horgan, McCleary, Mehmeti and Kaikai.

Off topic but I'm interested to hear if anyone has any intelligence on this... What's happening with our kit provider next season? I would guess that supply issues over the last few years might rule out O'Neills but the club must still have a good relationship with them otherwise I doubt the rainbow shirt would have materialised. Looking forward to seeing what comes next as I've never warmed to the current design, which looks like it was knocked up on Microsoft Paint in 1995.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    I think Horgan is under pressure from supporters because he's an attacking player who rarely registers an assist or a goal. It doesn't mean his contribution is actually poor, just that it is perceived that way.

Yep! Bernardo Silva summed this up well last month. If people actually watched the game properly...

I don't think everyone who thinks Horgan is a bit frustrating can be accused of not knowing football, or not watching properly :D

He's just a bit of a nearly man when he gets closer to goal.

But we're spoilt to be on the verge of the playoffs, after a nice 2-0 win and wanting more from what has to be our finest set of attacking mids, arguably in our league history.

• @Malone Not everyone, but you know the 'vocal' type I mean...

• In the interest of clarity I do think Wing is a class player but he fell away in the second half of the second half, his movement was laboured probably a knock not match fitness and he was really struggling, should have come off but the bench was really poor in mid field and Wheeler was already on. Against better opponents that would have been a much bigger problem. Has to be a doubt for Tuesday, maybe Dom Gape straight in with Wheels to replace him as his runs out of juice.

• Isn't Gape still injured?

• @aloysius said:
    Horgan and Wing are both playmakers, though Horgan plays more advance, has a bit more spark about him and reads the game better. Wing benefits from having a much more effective shot and the confidence (arrogance?) to take them more often, most from outside the box. When JJ doesn't play we probably need Wing on the pitch for free kicks (though Kaikai might be my first choice for those). But personally I'd prefer to see the safety-first combination of Scowen and Thompson in central midfield behind three from Horgan, McCleary, Mehmeti and Kaikai.

Off topic but I'm interested to hear if anyone has any intelligence on this... What's happening with our kit provider next season? I would guess that supply issues over the last few years might rule out O'Neills but the club must still have a good relationship with them otherwise I doubt the rainbow shirt would have materialised. Looking forward to seeing what comes next as I've never warmed to the current design, which looks like it was knocked up on Microsoft Paint in 1995.

Pete Couhig designed it

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Isn't Gape still injured?

Was doing a pretty intense pre match session out on the grass Saturday. Message I got was ready just not made the squad.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @Malone Not everyone, but you know the 'vocal' type I mean...

Fair does.

• edited April 2022

@perfidious_albion said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Isn't Gape still injured?

Was doing a pretty intense pre match session out on the grass Saturday. Message I got was ready just not made the squad.

Unexpected good news. Probably like many, I thought he was long done for the season.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Or he was just never that good. It happens! The English Freddy Adu...

I can't work out the bigger fall from grace....Bostock at Doncaster or McGuance at Poxford?

McGuane played for Barcelona first team and is now below Wycombe in the league table (at time of writing :-) )

• edited April 2022

@thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I can't work out the bigger fall from grace....Bostock at Doncaster or McGuance at Poxford?

McGuane played for Barcelona first team and is now below Wycombe in the league table (at time of writing :-) )

Haven't even heard of him, will have to look up

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Haven't even heard of him, will have to look up

First English player to represent Barca first team in 29 years (Lineker being the last). In doing so, can't be sure be he must have been the youngest too. He came on the Europa League....and is now at Poxford. You can't help but think what happens to these players. Are the margins that fine!? You don't suddenly just lost it.

• Just having a look. Didn't play in Europa League but came on in the Supercopa de Catalunya, which counts as first-team apparently. Never noticed that!

Could be all sorts of reasons, but a player's development isn't generally linear - some steps take longer than others. You get your Mehmetis, but I guess you also get the same kind of thing in reverse.