Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Vokes will take us up

• A hipflask was confiscated at Chester City many years ago, however the owner was allowed to continue watching and collect it at full time from the suspiciously 'jolly' stewards.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub - love it! Maybe Josh Scowen's nickname should simply be Josh Scowens, as there is always more than one of him!

• I do like Horgan. I think a turning point in the season was him getting called up for international duty right after the epic Morecambe 4-3, only for Mustard to grab his spot. Hanlan is the greater talent, but the team feels more balanced to me with the kind of lineup we saw today. I think we will end up building around Hanlan as a tremendous player we have wisely signed up for three years, but with the current squad options I do like the feel of the group starting today.

• Being a bit of a saddo that I am I thought I'd have a look....but can't find a Doncaster forum ? Do they not have one ?

• Where’s Kaikai?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Being a bit of a saddo that I am I thought I'd have a look....but can't find a Doncaster forum ? Do they not have one ?

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/

• 1 more point and the worst we can come is 11th. I know we want more, but it is still pretty amazing that we are going to cruise to a top half L1 finish, in the grand scheme of things.

• Haven't had a chance to get to a game since we signed Wing. Does he look a good signing?

Any news on when Thompson is expected back? And dare I ask.....Gape? Numbers/bodies could be key to our run in.

• Wing is decent. Calm on the ball and has a great shot in his locker.

• Wing could be great, every now and then he looks up makes space picks a pass. But I don’t think he is still fully match fit and seems laboured at times so the game passes him by. Jury out.
    Gape was doing a pre match fitness session at todays game.

• @LX1 said:
    A hipflask was confiscated at Chester City many years ago, however the owner was allowed to continue watching and collect it at full time from the suspiciously 'jolly' stewards.

I love the use of the passive voice here to disguise the confession.

• Bostock looked class for Donny , to good for them

• Thompson is on crutches, won't be seeing him until next season

• @Wanderers82 said:
    Bostock looked class for Donny , to good for them

I don't think he's too good for them. He wouldn't get in our team.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Wanderers82 said:

disagree , thunk he would compliment Scownen perfectly, he dictates play and linked everything for them today

• @Wanderers82 said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Wanderers82 said:

disagree , thunk he would compliment Scownen perfectly, he dictates play and linked everything for them today

@Wanderers82 said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Wanderers82 said:

Over Thompson? Or in a 3? Maybe, but given the hype that surrounded him at the start of his career, I guess there is something in his attitude, commitment or fitness to be questioned.

• edited April 2022

Or he was just never that good. It happens! The English Freddy Adu...

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Wing could be great, every now and then he looks up makes space picks a pass. But I don’t think he is still fully match fit and seems laboured at times so the game passes him by. Jury out.
    Gape was doing a pre match fitness session at todays game.

I’ve been very impressed with several aspects of Lewis Wing’s game. He is extremely mobile and reads the game well, can pick a pass (rarely giving the ball away), and, as we knew from his showreel, scores goals from outside the box. I think he is now fully match fit and if he lost a bit of pace today I think it may have been as a result of the knock he sustained in the first half. His style complements Scowen’s very well and I think they are a great pair. An excellent signing.

• On reflection I think the knock sustained by Lewis Wing must have been in the second half. Kicking towards the valley end in the first half threw me.

• Kaikai another mystery. His Wycombe career looks doomed I'm afraid to say....

Shame because we have seen glimpses but he doesn't fit the system. Worried about Hanlans lack of chances too. At times he has been excellent for us but where does he fit in this system?

• He's injured

• We have a really good squad. I don't think anyone's Wycombe career is over just yet.

• Might be a little premature to write off KaiKai (and I’ve a feeling he may have suffered an injury or illness recently) but I agree that it isn’t easy to see where Hanlan would fit into the starting lineup whilst others remain fit. Could imagine he might come on for 20 minutes as an impact sub on Tuesday evening with tiring legs following the weekend’s exertions. Sam Vokes appeared to be suffering from cramp towards the end of today’s game (although that might have been in the same category as JJ’s difficulty earlier in the half).

Nick Freeman.

• I got the impression from the short GA interview that aired on 3CR post-match that Gape (along with Grimmer and Kaikai) is fully fit but just not in the squad??

• Some of the fringe players are still young and have larger roles to play in coming seasons. Hanlan continuing to develop is a scary thought!!!!

• I thought Josh Martin was their stand out/ most dangerous player he’s on loan from Norwich.

• Think Hanlan may be the Bayo replacement but a slightly different role. Note: Nobody could replace Bayo, he is/was a totally unique player.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I thought Josh Martin was their stand out/ most dangerous player he’s on loan from Norwich.

Really nice moment when Anis was announced as Man of the Match, Martin gave him a little round of applause and a handshake.

The sort of player I wouldn't be sad to see in a Wycombe shirt in the future.

• @Glenny said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    I thought Josh Martin was their stand out/ most dangerous player he’s on loan from Norwich.

Really nice moment when Anis was announced as Man of the Match, Martin gave him a little round of applause and a handshake.

The sort of player I wouldn't be sad to see in a Wycombe shirt in the future.

They played in the same Norwich youth team from March 2019 until November 2019 when Anis left for Woodford Town.
    I’d love to know why Anis left to go to Woodford Town at Level 9 in the pyramid and was not picked up by anyone else