Skip to content

Is it time for a change?

Comments

• Unless @glasshalffull is popping up your place for a cuppa, or surfacing from a coma.

• Or both.

• "TACRITE"

House style Dr Congo - know your gasroom history

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    We also had the excellent Josh Knight at the back or in midfield @micra

We did indeed and I’ve been kicking myself for not remembering him. It’s really coming home to me now (and doubtless a few others) just what a strong lineup that was (and how few changes needed to be made to it) during those halcyon days last season. I believe the thinking behind the decision not to have players on loan this season was based on the fact that if you’re relegated or miss out on promotion they are unlikely to stay (either because their sights are set on the higher tier and/or we’re not prepared to meet their financial demands).

Presumably, the intention is to gradually introduce a few development players each season in the hope/expectation that they will become good enough to contribute significantly to the push for promotion. Realistically, that is a policy that will take more than one season to bear fruit. If the ambitious, ever positive Couhig family are sufficiently realistic to see it that way and are somehow able to ease the pressure on the players, they might relax a little and play better and with more confidence as a result. Didn’t someone suggest earlier that that was what happened last season?

• Completely agree with the comments by @eric_plant plant above. And fellow Gasroomers please, when we do get out of this rut...no posts saying 'Rob obviously had a word...' or 'Dobbo must have taken over...' or 'Taff and Tools must have given the team talk...'

• edited February 2022

@eric_plant said:
    "TACRITE"

House style Dr Congo - know your gasroom history

I do, but the acronym is also wrong.

Edit: However, I also 100% agree with your post that this was about.

• Hope my second paragraph doesn’t contravene your instruction @Wendoverman .

• @micra said:
    Hope my second paragraph doesn’t contravene your instruction @Wendoverman .

I never instruct @micra merely request! :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:

@micra said:
    Hope my second paragraph doesn’t contravene your instruction @Wendoverman .

I never instruct @micra merely request! :smile:

To me (a sensitive soul) it sounded like a command from on high! ?❤️

• A wonderful sense of peace, love and calm is settling on the Gasroom this afternoon. I give it 30 hours!

• Let us hope that we will all be as happy as Larry at about 10pm tomorrow night. COYB!!!!!!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Let us hope that we will all be as happy as Larry at about 10pm tomorrow night. COYB!!!!!!

That's the thing a win tomorrow and again on Saturday and it changes everything.

As for changes in the management department it's a no for me. First time in a while I seen a bit of arguing on terraces after the game on Saturday.

Without playing the Plucky little Wycombe card, we're up against some massive clubs who can pay a lot more than us (heard on sat a Sheff Wed midfielder is on 35k a week) but a couple of good results and we're right back in the mix.

• People still keep talking about the 'excellent' Josh Knight, as if he would be the answer to all our defensive problems. Can I remind you where he is plying his trade now, and how well that is working out!
    My feeling is that he was good in parts, but prone to some rather poor errors, and no better than we have now.

• @bluenotes said:
    People still keep talking about the 'excellent' Josh Knight, as if he would be the answer to all our defensive problems. Can I remind you where he is plying his trade now, and how well that is working out!
    My feeling is that he was good in parts, but prone to some rather poor errors, and no better than we have now.

Harsh, a very good player in two teams not really up to the task, could easily have sat on the bench somewhere higher up instead. Seem to remember him being man of the match for weeks on end at one point.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@bluenotes said:
    People still keep talking about the 'excellent' Josh Knight, as if he would be the answer to all our defensive problems. Can I remind you where he is plying his trade now, and how well that is working out!

Harsh, a very good player in two teams not really up to the task, could easily have sat on the bench somewhere higher up instead. Seem to remember him being man of the match for weeks on end at one point.

Great player but he always looked quite miserable. Him and Taff with long faces could really bring down the morale! :smile: Pretty depressing for the lad if he gets relegated in successive seasons as well!

• As always it's a matter of individual opinions. I never rated him that highly as a central defender, but felt he was better suited to defensive midfield. I'm not saying he was or is poor, I just never rated him as highly as some on this forum.

• He was our player of the season in the championship!!!

• For all of his qualities, he was a little prone to diving in and giving away fouls in bad areas. This frustrated me on a number of occasions. I seem to recall the filthy Derby winner at Adams Park came about from one such infraction.

• @bluenotes said:

I wasn't disappointed when he joined Peterborough. We've been blessed with some Premier League defenders in the past and he was not in the same league as Mawson. He was aloof in a way that none of our players are aloof and that grated with me. And I also struggled to forgive him for the stupid sending off v Luton when a point would have kept us up as it transpired.
    Maybe I'm soured as he is at Peterborough but I think not.

• @StrongestTeam said:

Harsh. Why? Success or failure are matters collective responsibility, he has to take his share in that. To single him out as

"a very good player in two teams not really up to the task"

suggests that you think otherwise. In my opinion that is being over generous.

If he were to be at a higher club sitting on the bench, that would suggest that he would not be first choice, and that there are better players around at that level.

@YorkExile and @TheAndyGrahamFanClub have touched on two of the reasons I never rated him that highly - suspect temperament and prone to diving in. I also felt he sometimes lacked awareness. I didn't dislike him as a player, but never raved about him either.

• Josh Knight was fantastic, while unsurprisingly not being perfect.

• He’d be in our current first team in two different positions.

• Didn’t realise people were at best ambivalent about him. I thought he was a fantastic player.

• He was superb. I'd have him back in a heartbeat

• So would I. Hopefully next season

• He's definitely a championship level player for sure.
    You only have to remember how leaky we looked earlier in the season and how he helped that no end.

Clearly no Mawson and on face value he definitely appeared a little bit more obnoxious than our usual Wycombeised players, but probably just his playing demeanour as Gareth I'm sure wouldn't have had him if he was truly any sort of issue.

• An excellent player whose only major 'flaw' was being a bit too pumped up - pretty natural for a young player

• If some Peterborough fans had a say in the matter he would be back here next season. I'd prefer him to stay there.

• Josh Knight and Admiral Muskwe would be great players to have back!

• @bluenotes said:
    If some Peterborough fans had a say in the matter he would be back here next season. I'd prefer him to stay there.

But then some other Peterborough supporters were unhappy when he came to us for the Championship season, and glad to have him back when he returned to them.!