Skip to content

Is it time for a change?

Comments

• Short answer, no.

Long answer, hell no.

• edited February 2022

Fellow Gasroomer’s, let’s all take a moment and chill out. The best thing about this forum is generally we all get along.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:
    Back to pulling Tom's pigtails is it?

You do like to stir it don’t you. I can disagree with another poster and it just so happens there are a couple of posters I disagree with a lot. If they are confident in their views we can debate. Not sure they need you to bully me over it.

By disagree, you mean accusing that poster of spreading rumours?

On this occasion it seems yes.

Cool. Well, seeing as you haven't been able to point me to these rumours, I'll assume you've realised you were talking out of your arse.

I reposted one rumour on the other thread. You seem to be implying much bigger reasons for our drop in form.
    You’ve posted a lot about Stewart and Taffazoli being missing and used Facebook rumours from others.
    You’ve said today the team don’t seem to care.

Look. I don’t really care if you want to go down this path but please don’t think it’s victim free. As I have said I’ve had to hear these rumours given to me as fact this week. As a fan I don’t enjoy defending this nonsense. I’m old enough to accept a bad run of form, even in a good team.

• @drcongo said:

@drcongo said:
    Back to pulling Tom's pigtails is it?

You do like to stir it don’t you. I can disagree with another poster and it just so happens there are a couple of posters I disagree with a lot. If they are confident in their views we can debate. Not sure they need you to bully me over it.

I'm a bully, but you're a master of debate by accusing people of things they haven't done. OK, got it.

I think we have an agreement. Not really sure why you ever bother responding to my posts with that view. You never give an option to debate and shut everything down immediately

• OK, let's debate whether accusing someone of spreading rumours is "debate".

• Ainsworth deserves huge respect and acknowledgement for what he’s achieved. That should also earn him time. Question is, how much time?

Today was awful, the worst of a very poor run of performances. I’ve said it before, results hide bad performances, and we’ve had a lot since just before Christmas. The way we play means when you’re not winning it’s really though to watch.

You’ll never hear me call for Ainsworth to get the sack but I’m not sure I’d be as disappointed as I should be if he were to leave.

• A lot depends on how Rob Couhig sees it.

He made a comment about people tell him it's very hard to get to the championship but we did it within a year. It depends whether he was actually saying that as a bit of a quip, or whether he actually believes it's not that hard.

If he believes it's not that hard, then he probably won't be happy if we end up a fair way off.

While another season in this division couldn't be further from a "disaster", the slight worry is that despite relegation we were on a bit of a crest of a wave. The enhanced championship money in the bank and the likes of McCleary and Vokes signing on.

• @drcongo said:
    OK, let's debate whether accusing someone of spreading rumours is "debate".

Go on then. I’ve already given examples and reasons to @ReturnToSenda . As I’ve just said you want it all dished up on a plate with a nice glass of wine. Tell me what you think?

• Frankly I'd be astonished if RC hasn't asked himself the question, for all the talk of "match day experience", we all know football is results driven. There is, obviously, no way any of us know what he might think the answer is though, so it's all idle speculation.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:

Go on then. I’ve already given examples and reasons to @ReturnToSenda . As I’ve just said you want it all dished up on a plate with a nice glass of wine. Tell me what you think?

Your example was Tom saying “something doesn’t feel right” which isn’t him spreading rumours, it’s his opinion. I thought you were keen on opinions?

• @drcongo said:

@drcongo said:

Your example was Tom saying “something doesn’t feel right” which isn’t him spreading rumours, it’s his opinion. I thought you were keen on opinions?

One of my examples. Opinions are fine but when you are echoing internet rumours about dressing room unrest and fall outs with the managers then it is that posters opinion that those rumours have legs or even true. The eager BFP reporter even decided to ask the manager about these rumours and his simple response gave another round of conspiracy theories.

So, for me, if your opinion is that these rumours are rubbish you don’t echo that sentiment in an opinion. The rumours have started elsewhere but the more they are alluded to, especially by a poster with some well deserved credit in the bank, the more noise that grows around them. It’s a new sad part of social media and maybe something the youngsters don’t worry as much about. I just think it’s poor form, disrespectful to our team and creates a noise based on nothing.

• edited February 2022

I'm still failing to see how saying I think Gaz might leave at the end of the season is in any way linked to a rumour, but I know I haven't done what I've been accused of doing. Back to the real world...

• We don’t need rockets in the car park on Tuesday night, we need them at the training ground Monday morning.
    Everyone needs to ‘look in the mirror’. Season defining etc etc.
    Feels like the ‘generals’ model might be past its sell by: Bayo winding down, JJ out of form (legs gone?), Blooms retired. Perhaps they’ve ‘lost the dressing room’ rather than the manager?
    If I were Gaz I’d signal a re-boot with a haircut and a different jacket, but then of course I’m not and he won’t.

• We always win when we have fireworks after though, don't we?

• @Malone said:
    We always win when we have fireworks after though, don't we?

I think this time it is before kick-off. Hopefully Taff wont get hit by a stray one during the warm-up.

• @perfidious_albion What haircut would you go for? I'm thinking a perm.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:
    We always win when we have fireworks after though, don't we?

I think this time it is before kick-off. Hopefully Taff wont get hit by a stray one during the warm-up.

He's already out. He's at Revs as we write, and Stewart is arguing his case with the manager, so will be dropped again.

• (That's satire by the way, before anyone browns)

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm still failing to see how saying I think Gaz might leave at the end of the season is in any way linked to a rumour, but I know I haven't done what I've been accused of doing. Back to the real world...

I think the point is, whether you agree with it or not, you built a bit of a reputation through your writings and things on Twitter etc that mean others will (rightly or wrongly) take your personal opinion and add additional weight to it.

You have peoples ear more than most.

You say there’s trouble at mill, people are potentially more likely Parrot that they have heard there’s trouble at mill and that they “heard it from a good source”. Because they trust you.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I think the point is, whether you agree with it or not, you built a bit of a reputation through your writings and things on Twitter etc that mean others will (rightly or wrongly) take your personal opinion and add additional weight to it.

You say there’s trouble at mill, people are potentially more likely Parrot that they have heard there’s trouble at mill and that they “heard it from a good source”. Because they trust you.

I've never said that

• Sorry, I posted this on the Matchday Threat by mistake and apologise if you've read this and have got a sense of deja vu!

I think its time that we just take stock and reflect on 2 & a half amazing seasons where we have achieved the impossible and almost did it again last year by almost staying up (there's another chat about that saga)
    However, those seasons I think its fair to say that we have over-achieved in every sense of the word. We have been excellent in investing time & effort into bringing through players that no one wanted and giving them the opportunity to reach their potential. Gareth & his team of coaches have been amazing and that has been clear to see and we have seen the club build year on year from that very dark prospect of almost falling out of the football league.

However, with GA we seem to keep playing the same tactic which might have been inherited before his time which is long ball and slowing the game down. It often seems to be our Plan A without any thought of Plans B or C. When we have used a different tactic and got the ball down and playing, that seems to be forgotten as soon as we conceed and go back to long ball even when we don't have the players on the pitch for that tactic! (Example of that was the home match against MK Dons)

This summer, I'd like us to really think about the styles of football that we have available to us. Try wing play or pressure football or possession football.

Every team in the league know Wycombe's style and we have become wise to the ways of overcoming that and getting results. We need more options, different plans in place to use during games to get the end result we want. Until that happens, I can't see much changing for us and our days of flirting with playoffs and promotion goals could be a thing of the past.

While I know some of you will jump on this and give me chapters on how Wycombe play different types of football, please think about it. When did we have an extended period (5 + matches) where lump it up to Vokes or Akinfenwa or another target man wasn't used?

• Ps. Sorry for the essay

• edited February 2022

You're right, @Otter87. We might have tweaked our style now and then, but it's all been variations on the same theme of direct football.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I was never arsed about going back up immediately, but things are so not right around here at the moment.

@ReturnToSenda said:
    And something just feels off about the whole place at the moment - maybe multiple things

That’s you saying “there’s trouble at mill”

• I'm actually still optimistic we could look up rather down next season based on the young talent we have, but a rethink on style and strategy may be needed.

I also agree with @perfidious_albion that the Generals era is coming to a close, though hopefully not the idea of good leadership. We are losing characters that can never be replaced in Bayo, Blooms and (eventually) JJ, but we do need leaders, obviously.

That poses an interesting question in itself. We have more talent now, but where is the leadership? I thought Gape was in line to be the next captain, but that would require staying fit and somehow being a more or less nailed on starter ahead of Curtis or Scowen, which is a big ask. Stewart is another stalwart, but I wonder if he is too shy for the armband, or would really want it?

• Gape is the youngest of the generals, but as @Shev says, won't start many over the Thompson-Scowen axis.

It was slightly odd Stewart wasn't thought of as one, as on years service you'd think he'd be a natural addition.

So who would the "new" generals be?

Vokes, Scowen, Grimmer?

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I was never arsed about going back up immediately, but things are so not right around here at the moment.

@ReturnToSenda said:
    And something just feels off about the whole place at the moment - maybe multiple things

Please complete your list of who is entitled to an opinion.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

• @Malone said:
    Gape is the youngest of the generals, but as @Shev says, won't start many over the Thompson-Scowen axis.

It was slightly odd Stewart wasn't thought of as one, as on years service you'd think he'd be a natural addition.

So who would the "new" generals be?

Vokes, Scowen, Grimmer?

I don't think Stewart is assertive enough to be a "general".

• @StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Please complete your list of who is entitled to an opinion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Never said anyone wasn’t.

Just some peoples, rightly or wrongly, has more weight than than others. Sometimes for no other reason than them having the ear of more people