Skip to content

Is it time for a change?

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm still failing to see how saying I think Gaz might leave at the end of the season is in any way linked to a rumour, but I know I haven't done what I've been accused of doing. Back to the real world...

I think the point is, whether you agree with it or not, you built a bit of a reputation through your writings and things on Twitter etc that mean others will (rightly or wrongly) take your personal opinion and add additional weight to it.

You have peoples ear more than most.

You say there’s trouble at mill, people are potentially more likely Parrot that they have heard there’s trouble at mill and that they “heard it from a good source”. Because they trust you.

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I was never arsed about going back up immediately, but things are so not right around here at the moment.

@ReturnToSenda said:
    And something just feels off about the whole place at the moment - maybe multiple things

That’s you saying “there’s trouble at mill”

It's really not

What are you saying then?

You think everything is fine at mill?

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm still failing to see how saying I think Gaz might leave at the end of the season is in any way linked to a rumour, but I know I haven't done what I've been accused of doing. Back to the real world...

I think the point is, whether you agree with it or not, you built a bit of a reputation through your writings and things on Twitter etc that mean others will (rightly or wrongly) take your personal opinion and add additional weight to it.

You say there’s trouble at mill, people are potentially more likely Parrot that they have heard there’s trouble at mill and that they “heard it from a good source”. Because they trust you.

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I was never arsed about going back up immediately, but things are so not right around here at the moment.

@ReturnToSenda said:
    And something just feels off about the whole place at the moment - maybe multiple things

It's really not

You can read what I thought/think. It's not my responsibility to stop you reading more into it.

• @Otter87 said:
    Sorry, I posted this on the Matchday Threat by mistake and apologise if you've read this and have got a sense of deja vu!

I think its time that we just take stock and reflect on 2 & a half amazing seasons where we have achieved the impossible and almost did it again last year by almost staying up (there's another chat about that saga)
    However, those seasons I think its fair to say that we have over-achieved in every sense of the word. We have been excellent in investing time & effort into bringing through players that no one wanted and giving them the opportunity to reach their potential. Gareth & his team of coaches have been amazing and that has been clear to see and we have seen the club build year on year from that very dark prospect of almost falling out of the football league.

However, with GA we seem to keep playing the same tactic which might have been inherited before his time which is long ball and slowing the game down. It often seems to be our Plan A without any thought of Plans B or C. When we have used a different tactic and got the ball down and playing, that seems to be forgotten as soon as we conceed and go back to long ball even when we don't have the players on the pitch for that tactic! (Example of that was the home match against MK Dons)

This summer, I'd like us to really think about the styles of football that we have available to us. Try wing play or pressure football or possession football.

Every team in the league know Wycombe's style and we have become wise to the ways of overcoming that and getting results. We need more options, different plans in place to use during games to get the end result we want. Until that happens, I can't see much changing for us and our days of flirting with playoffs and promotion goals could be a thing of the past.

While I know some of you will jump on this and give me chapters on how Wycombe play different types of football, please think about it. When did we have an extended period (5 + matches) where lump it up to Vokes or Akinfenwa or another target man wasn't used?

The way we utilise a more direct approach, is far more advanced than when we were in League Two under Ainsworth/Dobbo. Your use of "lump it" implies that it isn't a worked on tactic and merely, bring a big man in and hope for the best. I'm sick to death of this crap tika taka style football which has infiltrated the lower leagues. Our football matches are far more exciting than 90% of the others.

It's embarrassing to see people on here try and create a narrative that our best ever manager has run his course. Surely the most impressive aspect of Ainsworth is his ability to learn from his mistakes and improve the squad year on year, regardless of the obstacles in front of him.

I said that I Ainsworth should still leave after that dreaded Torquay escape season. I was completely wrong. This is without doubt the strongest League One competition ever and if we don't make it into the Championship, it will not be for a want of ability or effort from the management point of view. Many of you seem to have forgotten that RC was owner at the start of a disastrous opening to last season. Why an earth would he decide that the best thing that has ever happened to this club isn't up to the job anymore?

I really do question Wycombe's "fans" loyalty to the most loyal of employees, you're too emotional and need a reality check. It's been a rough few results, grow up and back our best ever manager. You cretins will miss him once he gone.

• Both of those are his opinion. I get the “everyone trusts Tom’s output” thing, but the only thing he’s stated as a fact is that something is not right. I think 7 games without a win backs that up.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

You can read what I thought/think. It's not my responsibility to stop you reading more into it.

Answer a straight question man. What were you saying with the remark “ something just feels off about the whole place at the moment - maybe multiple things”

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Answer a straight question man. What were you saying with the remark “ something just feels off about the whole place at the moment - maybe multiple things”

Oh, maybe you can't read.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Oh I can read.

I can read you echoing other peoples rumours and then when called out on it, twist, deny and project.

Thought about a job in politics ?

• Yeah, I haven't done any of that. Anyway...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, I haven't done any of that. Anyway...

Deny. Check.

Looking forward to the projecting part.

• Tom, why did you invade Ukraine? I bet you deny it.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Oh I can read.

I can read you echoing other peoples rumours and then when called out on it, twist, deny and project.

Sounds like you just need to get over yourself, people don't have to justify their posts or opinions on here for you or anyone else. You can agree or disagree or post something entirely different, you aren't owed any more than that.

• I for one feel a bit annoyed, as @ReturnToSenda told me we were going up automatically a few weeks ago.

As he's someone who is quite a big deal on an online forum, I'm disappointed I was misled.

• He told me the lottery numbers last week and they were all wrong. Wasted a whole pound.

• Reading this thread jeesh….. is it gang up on @ReturnToSenda day?

I’m not up on Twitter so not really getting lots of what’s being said and must have missed somewhere that Tom / @ReturnToSenda has a following on that platform.

But I keep seeing this ‘something just feels off about the whole place, perhaps multiple things’ thing, and based on views of people sitting near me on Saturday and Tuesday (who I don’t even know), there’s certainly a feeling among a lot more than just @ReturnToSenda that this is the case. Not just about the team and non playing subs either, but also regarding some fans and their behaviour, the atmosphere leaving the stadium and prices.

• edited February 2022

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Oh I can read.

Sounds like you just need to get over yourself, people don't have to justify their posts or opinions on here for you or anyone else. You can agree or disagree or post something entirely different, you aren't owed any more than that.

When have I said he does? All I am pointing out that if someone has an ear of more people, there words have more weight. And yes, even if it is on a silly football forum.

You honestly going to tell me that certain peoples views don’t add more weight than others?

Denying it is as silly as suggesting toms opinions on Ukraine or the lottery numbers has more weight than say, a respected war correspondent or someone that works on the probabilities in gambling.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Oh I can read.

When have I said he does? All I am pointing out that if someone has an ear of more people, there words have more weight. And yes, even if it is on a silly football forum.

You honestly going to tell me that certain peoples views don’t add more weight than others?

Denying it is as silly as suggesting toms opinions on Ukraine or the lottery numbers has more weight than say, a respected war correspondent or someone that works on the probabilities in gambling.

Nope can't fathom why his words might carry more weight than yours, stumped.

• I just did not believe there was unrest...took a few seconds and then I forgot about it. Does that mean I am shallow?

• >

@TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Oh I can read.

Do you also post as RITM out of interest?

• edited February 2022

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Oh I can read.

Nope can't fathom why his words might carry more weight than yours, stumped.

For the life of me I have no idea why Katie Price has more weight behind her words than me on anything she opens her mouth to, but she does.

Maybe not to you. And maybe only 0.1% of her followers. But that’s still a hell of a Lot more than me.

• I listen to you @TheDancingYak.

• @drcongo said:
    I listen to you @TheDancingYak.

Aww, thanks. That’s one then.

Influencer status-me-up

• @drcongo said:
    Tom, why did you invade Ukraine? I bet you deny it.

How many more times? It's a peacekeeping operation.

• edited February 2022

@Malone said:
    >

@TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Oh I can read.

No, why? Does posting against a popular clique get you downvotes and accused of being a multi account holder?

I think I usually find myself agreeing on most things that @ReturnToSenda says apart from this particular subject and fucking xG. But there we go.

• I reckon I could get behind xG if they always referred to it as “fucking xG”

• edited February 2022

@TheDancingYak said:

@Malone said:
    >

@TheDancingYak said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I've never said that

You didn’t say this:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's really not

Oh I can read.

No, why? Does posting against a popular clique get you downvotes and accused of being a multi account holder?

I think I usually find myself agreeing on most things that @ReturnToSenda says apart from this particular subject and fucking xG. But there we go.

Just checking :)

It was the way you used an almost identical phrase he'd used, just after he'd disappeared off.

Who is in this "popular clique" out of interest? And how do we get in it?

• Ok... back to the original question...

No, Ainsworth has earned himself enough credit to be given longer after a bad spell, we are still top 10 in league one !!

But, I think a change in style/ play should be very much considered

• @HolmerBlue said:
    But, I think a change in style/ play should be very much considered

It should, but to what extent could Ainsworth deliver that? Genuine question, interested in what people think. Not something I'd given much thought myself.

• This is very damaging

• @bigred87 said:
    This is very damaging

?

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

@Otter87 said:
    Sorry, I posted this on the Matchday Threat by mistake and apologise if you've read this and have got a sense of deja vu!

I think its time that we just take stock and reflect on 2 & a half amazing seasons where we have achieved the impossible and almost did it again last year by almost staying up (there's another chat about that saga)
    However, those seasons I think its fair to say that we have over-achieved in every sense of the word. We have been excellent in investing time & effort into bringing through players that no one wanted and giving them the opportunity to reach their potential. Gareth & his team of coaches have been amazing and that has been clear to see and we have seen the club build year on year from that very dark prospect of almost falling out of the football league.

However, with GA we seem to keep playing the same tactic which might have been inherited before his time which is long ball and slowing the game down. It often seems to be our Plan A without any thought of Plans B or C. When we have used a different tactic and got the ball down and playing, that seems to be forgotten as soon as we conceed and go back to long ball even when we don't have the players on the pitch for that tactic! (Example of that was the home match against MK Dons)

This summer, I'd like us to really think about the styles of football that we have available to us. Try wing play or pressure football or possession football.

Every team in the league know Wycombe's style and we have become wise to the ways of overcoming that and getting results. We need more options, different plans in place to use during games to get the end result we want. Until that happens, I can't see much changing for us and our days of flirting with playoffs and promotion goals could be a thing of the past.

While I know some of you will jump on this and give me chapters on how Wycombe play different types of football, please think about it. When did we have an extended period (5 + matches) where lump it up to Vokes or Akinfenwa or another target man wasn't used?

The way we utilise a more direct approach, is far more advanced than when we were in League Two under Ainsworth/Dobbo. Your use of "lump it" implies that it isn't a worked on tactic and merely, bring a big man in and hope for the best. I'm sick to death of this crap tika taka style football which has infiltrated the lower leagues. Our football matches are far more exciting than 90% of the others.

It's embarrassing to see people on here try and create a narrative that our best ever manager has run his course. Surely the most impressive aspect of Ainsworth is his ability to learn from his mistakes and improve the squad year on year, regardless of the obstacles in front of him.

I said that I Ainsworth should still leave after that dreaded Torquay escape season. I was completely wrong. This is without doubt the strongest League One competition ever and if we don't make it into the Championship, it will not be for a want of ability or effort from the management point of view. Many of you seem to have forgotten that RC was owner at the start of a disastrous opening to last season. Why an earth would he decide that the best thing that has ever happened to this club isn't up to the job anymore?

I really do question Wycombe's "fans" loyalty to the most loyal of employees, you're too emotional and need a reality check. It's been a rough few results, grow up and back our best ever manager. You cretins will miss him once he gone.

Woah! Hold your horses.....

In the last few matches that I've seen, our main tactic has just been lump it and it hasn't worded because our distribution hasn't been at a good enough standard. Hence why we NEED more options & plans in place. All of our opposition have at least 1 different option, we seem to only have 1. You say its more advanced, if it was, we'd have scored more goals in the season rather than winning by only 1 goal margins!

I don't want us to play like Barcelona or Man City and I agree it wouldn't be as entertaining however if something isn't working, doing it again amd again and again isn't going to change the result. England's Football, Cricket & Rugby teams have ALL been guilty of this in the past and have had to change in order for them to become successful (ish in some cases) in their own right. They have all tried something new which has and hasn't worked. Why can't Wycombe do the same?

@Bacon_Sandwich please read my first 2 paragraphs, all I did was praise, congratulate and admire Gareth & his team's achievements. I don't want him out and if/when he does leave, it'll be a very sad day for Wycombe Wanderers. However, it does raise the concern as to why Gareth hasn't been linked to more jobs in the past in higher divisions? Could this be a reflection on his tactics?