Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• Well, at least, unlike my last 2 visits to Accrington, it wasn't pissing down with rain, and I thought the (new?) facilities behind the away stand were an improvement on my last visit. Hot water in the toilets, they spoil us.

Now off to the Avanti West Coast website to claim some compensation for my train arriving back at Euston 45 mins late :-)

No comment whatsoever about the football. I'm sure we will stuff Cambridge on Tuesday.

• Peter Taylor’s sides reached a boredom level I’ve never seen before and I’ve mentioned loads before my feelings after that horrible promotion day.

I don’t see anywhere near that under Ainsworth, especially in recent weeks, where we’ve seen high scoring games, plenty of action and some great individual performances. If anything the dial has been turned a little too much towards attack and we’ve left the back door open. Maybe we’ve just not played as well as we can do.

Everyone has a preferred style they prefer to watch and a fair few don’t like the Ainsworth style. Some never have and wait for moments like now to pile in. For me I’ve always thought the more possession you want the more talented players you need and the more you need to spend. That suits bigger budget clubs and I still don’t think we are one of those. We have a style and more importantly a culture that matches that budget.

In short I have been entertained this season. I don’t want to watch a side that does 10 fake short goals kicks every match and rolls it across the defence time after time. We can and have been more clinical in attack and more solid in defence. It’s frustrating and annoying but we’re not the only set of fans thinking we have a squad worthy of promotion. I think at least half of League One is in that boat and many with more resource than us.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    The more quality technical players we acquire, the more frustrating our style becomes. It's 'fine' when we're winning, but it is not entertaining.

Spot on.... We have the technical ability to play football on the floor, as its shown on the odd occasion. I often get slated for coming on here moaning when we've lost for the style we play, obviously when we win I put up with it.

• I don't think there's any lack of entertainment at Wycombe matches. Our recent loss of form has been frustrating to say the least, but I certainly wouldn't say the matches have been boring (MK Dons being an exception).

I enjoy our style of play. I think our over reliance on long ball at the moment is due to lack of confidence.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    In an ideal world, I want to win playing nice football - but if it were a straight choice between or the other, I'd pick winning as I'm sure all fans would? But that's a completely hypothetical situation.

And, going back to my Peter Taylor example, if you go from winning but playing awful football, to losing and playing awful football, the cache you built up in winning promotion is depleted quickly. As Mr Taylor found out shortly into the next season.

The difference, for me with Gaz, is while we haven’t created an attractive way of playing football, we have built a unique and attractive atmosphere around the club and team, which has also resulted in being consistently on an upwards trajectory and that has built up a very large cache.

He has dug us out of the mire in the past. I still have faith he can do it again. Even if that is next season.

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    The more quality technical players we acquire, the more frustrating our style becomes. It's 'fine' when we're winning, but it is not entertaining.

Surely that’s contradictory? I don’t see how you can be satisfied with our style when we win but dislike it when we lose. It also depends on your priorities, for me there’s nothing more entertaining than winning.

I think it sums up this whole discussion perfectly. People aren't unhappy with the style of football they are unhappy we're not winning games.

If we never once player the ball off the ground and results were going against us fans would be calling for us to be more "pragmatic"

Basically, win a few games and all will be right with the world again

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'd be amazed if any fan prioritised style over success, but there is a balance to be struck and we don't strike it.

I have to be honest I do and always will do. But winning has always been most important to Wycombe fans and I respect that.

• Yesterday I saw two well crafted and expertly finished Wycombe goals because GA’s philosophy is to get the ball into the opposition half and then start playing. Unfortunately, we have been let down recently by basic defensive errors, but our last 3 games have seen a total of 19 goals and if that’s boring I want to be bored more often, preferably with the balance in our favour, of course.

• @peterparrotface said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I'd be amazed if any fan prioritised style over success, but there is a balance to be struck and we don't strike it.

I have to be honest I do and always will do. But winning has always been most important to Wycombe fans and I respect that.

Consider me amazed (but I respect that)

• Our first goal yesterday was wonderful. Vokes yet again showing he belongs at a far higher level

• I must be very easily pleased but I have found the games at AP and the football much more entertaining this season. Even when we've lost. Frustrating? Yes! But do I see progress? Most certainly and that's football. Presently Gaz and Bielsa seem to be in the 'love him, admire what he has done for us but it's time to go' category for some fans. Not bad company to be in! ?

• We’ve always been best when we’ve mixed things up a bit. This generally comes with confidence, but that confidence to play it round the big guys 2nd half yesterday was absent, and so we never managed to get ourselves back into a game we had led twice in.

Beat Cambridge and Crewe and we’ll have a platform for the run-in. Fail again and it may be a long and painful end to such a promising season. I back the current players and staff to do the necessary.

• @glasshalffull said:
    for me there’s nothing more entertaining than winning.

For an eternal optimist, like yourself, it must be pretty miserable at the moment then?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Yesterday I saw two well crafted and expertly finished Wycombe goals because GA’s philosophy is to get the ball into the opposition half and then start playing. Unfortunately, we have been let down recently by basic defensive errors, but our last 3 games have seen a total of 19 goals and if that’s boring I want to be bored more often, preferably with the balance in our favour, of course.

I think frustration trumps boredom every time, especially when it results from a string of uncharacteristic defensive shortcomings. Yesterday, in particular, the lack of height in midfield and central defence proved crucial. In the absence of Tafazolli I think Forino should have started or at least have been brought on earlier in the second half. Someone said recently that he was “nowhere near” as good as Tafazolli. I disagree. Less experienced, obviously, but more mobile and every bit as good at reading the game. Loves to get forward too and arguably as big a threat in opposition boxes as Tafazolli.

• Following on from my earlier post, I think I’d like to see a back four (4) of McCarthy, Stewart, Forino and Jacobson.
    Tafazolli for Forino, perhaps, if fully fit and raring to go.

• @Twizz said:

@glasshalffull said:
    for me there’s nothing more entertaining than winning.

For an eternal optimist, like yourself, it must be pretty miserable at the moment then?

Indeed it is, but over the years I’ve seen enough football at all levels to know that things can get better just as quickly as they can get worse. No point in giving up with a dozen games to go.

• @glasshalffull said:

ndeed it is, but over the years I’ve seen enough football at all levels to know that things can get better just as quickly as they can get worse. No point in giving up with a dozen games to go.

Nothing that a win on Tuesday wouldn't make better, at least

• We’ve always been (forgive the Americanism) streaky under GA. there’s no reason to think that, if ever manage to win again, we won’t then win the next four or five.

• Pie and a pint 5 quid was on offer behind the away stand.

Pie was pretty good, didn't try the beer.

• What frustrates me personally is our failure to adapt at times, yes we are mainly long ball and it has proved successful, but we can also mix it up and knock the ball round, so we know we can do it. Why oh why persist with it when it's not working in a particular game, change it ! How ridiculous was it to see us constantly smash the ball high up into the air the other week against Cheltenham, only to see the ball not go anywhere and being blown backwards.

• This season has been box office, and I think we'll realize that all the more when Goal of the Season comes around. We have scored a huge amount of sensational goals, besides many that would have been (Gape yesterday).

I'm firmly in the camp of the results being frustrating, not the style. Obviously there are a couple of other question marks (defensive frailties, possible leadership problems as we lose the Generals) but for me there have been so many wonderful memories.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Yesterday I saw two well crafted and expertly finished Wycombe goals because GA’s philosophy is to get the ball into the opposition half and then start playing. Unfortunately, we have been let down recently by basic defensive errors, but our last 3 games have seen a total of 19 goals and if that’s boring I want to be bored more often, preferably with the balance in our favour, of course.

Shrewsbury and Milton Keynes was not exciting. Cheltenham was horrific.

Peter Taylor I’ve always felt lost us support.

• @username123 said:
    Peter Taylor I’ve always felt lost us support.

That's the thing isn't it. You can play any kind of football you like if it gets you wins. If it's awful to watch and you lose, then people stop coming.

• I do hope we knock the fireworks thing on the head soon.

We been very fortunate that the events so far have followed victories. I hope they’d have the foresight not to set them off if we lose or draw.

• I still don't understand the negativity around the fireworks. They are genuinely spectacular and kids love them

• Some of these posts about us being found out, or chickens coming home to roost, or this seismic massive line we've crossed where suddenly we have to change everything are ever so slightly over the top.

Let's see how Tuesday goes.

• Hear, hear Malone. It’s even worse on Facebook.

• There’s a game of cliche bingo going on in the Facebook group…..no plan B, lost the dressing room, taken us as far as he can, tactically naive, out of his depth etc, etc. You’d think we were facing relegation.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I do hope we knock the fireworks thing on the head soon.

We been very fortunate that the events so far have followed victories. I hope they’d have the foresight not to set them off if we lose or draw.

I think they're before the game on Tuesday, but they do turn us into a laughing stock.