Skip to content

Match day thread: Wigan

Comments

• Actually, could be Wheeler RWB again

• Cue a 1-0 defeat - Stewart slices a clearance which Taff turns into his own net!

• I'm viewing this as a fluid 433, potentially overloading the right flank with Wheeler and Hanlan.

Stocks
    Grimmer Taf Stewart Obita
    Wheeler Scowen Wing
    Hanlan Vokes Kai Kai

Kai Kai in an old school Fred role. Obita overlapping.

• Interesting team, glad to see Scowen back and Kaikai deserves that second start. Formation could be anything, Wheeler could be part of a trio at CM, or he could be at RWB.

Presumably JJ is injured or just needs a break after a poor game at the weekend, and interesting to see Taf back after not getting any minutes since the MK game.

• My cousin told me JJ had a fight with Mehmeti at Tuesday’s nightclub in the Octagon in 1973.

It was bound to come out at some point. Sad times.

• I can’t believe, with the elite-level pedantry resources that the Gasroom has to offer, that no-one has come down on this business of calling our ex-Blackpooler “Kai Kai” or “KaiKai”.

It’s just Kaikai. And the man himself should know.

https://twitter.com/SullayKaikai?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

• @Gary said:
    Cue a 1-0 defeat - Stewart slices a clearance which Taff turns into his own net!

'That's on Gareth!'

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    And the rumours are put to bed.

Yeah but they were fun. I mean I thought both Stewart and Taff we’re looking a bit leggy before they were both dropped and, on paper, fixtures against Shrewsbury, Lincoln and Cheltenham before high flying wigan offered an excellent opportunity for a longer period of rest before the final kick into the end of the season.

But, you know, that’s a bit boring.

• Interesting to see Vokes as captain!

• @TheDancingYak said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:

Yeah but they were fun. I mean I thought both Stewart and Taff we’re looking a bit leggy before they were both dropped and, on paper, fixtures against Shrewsbury, Lincoln and Cheltenham before high flying wigan offered an excellent opportunity for a longer period of rest before the final kick into the end of the season.

Taf out late for warm up and no-one high-fived him.or said 'Hi Taffs...!' Something is going on.

• Something has def gone down as Vokes is Captain and not Stewart...

• @Otter87 said:
    Something has def gone down as Vokes is Captain and not Stewart...

My uncle told me it’s because Vokes has recently become a Captain in the Salvation Army, and thus has a greater claim to the role. Especially with the period of Lent about to commence in the Liturgical calendar.

• @Otter87 said:
    Something has def gone down as Vokes is Captain and not Stewart...

Good spot

• Thommo for wheeler and Mcleary for KaiKai, that's our strongest side

• @PBo said:
    I can’t believe, with the elite-level pedantry resources that the Gasroom has to offer, that no-one has come down on this business of calling our ex-Blackpooler “Kai Kai” or “KaiKai”.

When people couldn't handle Samuel or Hanlan I can be certain no-one cares at a space or capital in Kaikai

• edited February 2022

@Wendoverman said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:

Taf out late for warm up and no-one high-fived him.or said 'Hi Taffs...!' Something is going on.

I hope you don't work for the CPS, because that level of evidence gathering is pretty average. I mean, the first time they saw each other today probably wasn't as he walked onto the pitch. Maybe he's just not a high 5 kind of a guy? I mean so much was read into his not celebrating a goal with everyone else, earlier in the season, it got ridiculous.

The captaincy thing might be slightly more evidence of something going on.

Or, and just hear me out here, Vokes performances in the last few games have grown and grown, he is a seasoned international player who may have a lot of expirence to offer his team mates and is as worthy of it as anyone to wear the armband and Gareth may want Stewart to focus on his job to tighten up the defence than having the additional responsibilities that being the on field captain may bring.

But again, thats not as fun as conspiracy theories and having no direct proof either way.

• @Malone said:

@PBo said:
    I can’t believe, with the elite-level pedantry resources that the Gasroom has to offer, that no-one has come down on this business of calling our ex-Blackpooler “Kai Kai” or “KaiKai”.

When people couldn't handle Samuel or Hanlan I can be certain no-one cares at a space or capital in Kaikai

Pattinson

• @PBo said:

It’s been making my teeth itch for months. I’m slightly proud that I’ve managed not to bring it up.

• edited February 2022

Also - OMG why is McCleary on the bench? after those messages on Twitter that i totally (and kinda on purpose) read the wrong way about houses in Nottingham must mean he has fallen out with the Manager and looking for an exit. Theres no other reason he could be benched. He's been our best player all season.

Or he needs a rest too. And hasn't had the same form since he came back from his last injruy.

Przybek has been missing as well. Maybe he was Taf's getaway driver.

• Guns n Roses are so shit

• Taf injured in warm-up

• Forino in and JJ onto bench

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Taf injured in warm-up

Or was he?

• @Malone said:

Fair. I think it's just the randomness of it though, as opposed to just a bog-standard spelling mistake.

Where did you come from, where did you go
    Where did you come from, Egregious Typo?

@drcongo said:

It’s been making my teeth itch for months. I’m slightly proud that I’ve managed not to bring it up.

Restraint duly admired.

Perhaps this is my inner cry for help, my bid to be a force to be reckoned with, up there with the Gasroom Pedantry Top Boys. Man's gotta earn his stripes.

• When I saw Forino wondering out instead of Taf, my mind immediately assumed some sort of dramatic changing room bust up haha.

I think Taf is probably suffering with a back injury that isn’t going away

• A lone boo from the Frank Adams for James McClean ?

• I’d like to apologise to whomever called Taff sicknote and got dragged across the gasroom for it.

• 4-3-3 it is, Scowen as the anchor

• @drcongo said:
    I’d like to apologise to whomever called Taff sicknote and got dragged across the gasroom for it.

Like a balloon filled with pins