Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• Scowan’s approach to the ref late on was stupid on several levels:

• if he knew he was on a yellow he should know he is ‘walking a tightrope’.
    • if, as it appears when he trots back into defence after the second yellow, he didn’t remember he was already on a yellow, that is terrible personal game management on his part.
      Either way, senior pro, just back having been much missed, now a ban, really unprofessional.
      Dobbo have a word.
  • @perfidious_albion said:
    Scowan’s approach to the ref late on was stupid on several levels:

• if he knew he was on a yellow he should know he is ‘walking a tightrope’.
    • if, as it appears when he trots back into defence after the second yellow, he didn’t remember he was already on a yellow, that is terrible personal game management on his part.
      Either way, senior pro, just back having been much missed, now a ban, really unprofessional.
      Dobbo have a word.

Are you basing that after being at the game or watching the two mins of highlights?

Just looked bizarre from the highlights.

• ……from the highlights, as you say at best bizarre, pretty sure the ref didn’t recognise Scowen was already booked, probably would have let the second one go had he realised

• Scowen only has himself to blame. He's always on at the ref throughout the game, just needs to shut up sometimes.

• Didn't @Chris flag up during the first half that he was heading towards a red card for dissent?

It's a poor show

• edited February 2022

You'd hope JJ, as captain, would have told him to rein it in a little bit, though. Maguire probably stopped Pogba from talking himself to a sending off yesterday by pretty much pushing him away from the ref. But yeah, poor from Josh.

• I agree, any arguing with the referee whilst on a yellow is just stupid, no need for it

• Still not quite as stupid as Paddy Madden in the play-offs - booked for diving them immediately sent off for reacting to the initial booking by calling the ref a prick.

• Bizarre to think it’s accepted practice that a second yellow card has a higher bar than the first one.

I honestly think Scowen thought he had a bit more headroom with whatever he was saying to the ref. And it looks like he’d have been right if the ref had remembered the first card.

I like the passion Scowen showed and whilst I can see why some people call it stupid I don’t mind based on the 10 seconds of highlight on it

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    You'd hope JJ, as captain, would have told him to rein it in a little bit, though. Maguire probably stopped Pogba from talking himself to a sending off yesterday by pretty much pushing him away from the ref. But yeah, poor from Josh.

For a fleeting moment I thought Lincoln had picked up Pogba on a free. Then I remembered that United have their own Maguire.

• @username123 said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    We have become so boring to watch lately

There was nothing boring about that game which we dominated from start to finish.

Your pissed.

It’s ‘you’re’ not ‘your’ and I wasn’t, but I think 28 shots and relentless attacks in the second half suggests a fair amount of dominance.

• Impressed by anyone who's not pissed after 28 shots

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Impressed by anyone who's not pissed after 28 shots

Excellent! Actually I’m a pint of beer man so I leave the shots to those of a younger generation ?

• edited February 2022

I know we've not been at it in the last couple of games, but I think it's worth pointing out that only two teams (Rotherham and Oxford) average more goals per game than us. We could definitely do with improving our finishing, but it's not bad on the whole. And finishing at this level is never going to be as ruthlessly clinical as some seem to think it should - those players don't tend to stick around long.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I know we've not been at it in the last couple of games, but I think it's worth pointing out that only two teams (Rotherham and Oxford) average more goals per game than us. We could definitely do with improving our finishing, but it's not bad on the whole. And finishing at this level is never going to be as ruthlessly clinical as some seem to think it should - those players don't tend to stick around long.

Am I missing something? We have scored 47 in 31 games.

Sunderland have scored 56 in 32
    Wigan have scored 50 in 28
    MK Dons have scored 51 in 32
    Plymouth have scored 52 in 30
    Ipswich have scored 49 in 32
    Bolton have scored 47 in 31 (like us)

I have us as worse goals per game (or level, like Bolton) than everyone in the top ten bar Sheffield Wednesday.

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I have us as worse goals per game (or level, like Bolton) than everyone in the top ten bar Sheffield Wednesday.

Yeah, not sure what happened there. Anyway...

Rotherham 1.83 goals/game
    Wigan 1.78
    Sunderland, Oxford 1.75
    Plymouth 1.73
    MK 1.59
    Ipswich 1.53
    Bolton, Wycombe 1.51

Haven't looked minus pens, mind you

• Oh, I see what I did now - was looking at the wrong column in my sheet. We're 3rd for xG/game (2nd without pens).

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Yeah, not sure what happened there. Anyway...

Rotherham 1.83 goals/game
    Wigan 1.78
    Sunderland, Oxford 1.75
    Plymouth 1.73
    MK 1.59
    Ipswich 1.53
    Bolton, Wycombe 1.51

Haven't looked minus pens, mind you

Two better off in 7th for non-pen goals/game. And that's enough numbers for a Sunday evening!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Oh, I see what I did now - was looking at the wrong column in my sheet. We're 3rd for xG/game (2nd without pens).

Fair play. And I bet the TH stat sheet is pretty interesting!

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Oh, I see what I did now - was looking at the wrong column in my sheet. We're 3rd for xG/game (2nd without pens).

Fair play. And I bet the TH stat sheet is pretty interesting!

Yes, and I definitely didn't auto-generate it using the Opta tool I have access to for work... ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Extraordinary

• Big week for Wigan...playing twice this week including Rotherham on Friday!

• edited February 2022

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Extraordinary

Becoming the second-most creative team in the league after being bang average in that respect a couple of seasons ago is pretty extraordinary, yes.

• edited February 2022

Interesting that you don't regard winning a penalty as creating a chance. I certainly do.

But doesn't it contradict your original point? Some posters were concerned we weren't scoring enough goals, and you've produced metrics to demonstrate that we are not scoring as many as should be expected given the number of chances we create.

So you agree with them don't you?

• Looking at the Lincoln forum I see yet another silky ball playing young side was bludgeoned by a big, talentless, hoofball team full of aging journeymen with a 'naive, weak referee' in their pocket.

• Unbelievable - the ink is barely dry on Rhead’s name in their autograph books...

• @Wendoverman said:
    Big week for Wigan...playing twice this week including Rotherham on Friday!

Would be good if Rotherham kept beating all around us and had an off night at Adam’s Park

• My grandson went to the match with some friends from work. He is not a regular supporter, was born here but doesn't live locally. This is what he thought of the match:-
    "Wycombe were by far the better side on the pitch, Lincoln could barely string a pass together. Conditions were tricky which evened it out a bit but Wycombe still should have won it."
    He also liked the atmosphere and praised the away support

• @ReturnToSenda said:

The fact we’re 2nd/3rd on XG but well down the table on goals per game suggests that, in fact, our shooting is actually pretty crap.

• @Glenactico said:

The fact we’re 2nd/3rd on XG but well down the table on goals per game suggests that, in fact, our shooting is actually pretty crap.

Or it could mean that the concept of XG is pretty crap.