Tuesday: ‘if we play like that and can’t win there’s no chance.’

Today: ‘if we play like that and don’t lose there’s every chance.’

Nice one. Like that.

If you made that up on the spot even better :D

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    We have become so boring to watch lately

There was nothing boring about that game which we dominated from start to finish.

Interesting assessment. Last 15 was better and we played some nice stuff, but we haven't exactly entertained in the last four games.

I’d say that 28 shots to 7, 360 passes to 299 and 56% possession hints at a fair amount of dominance. Depends what you deem as entertainment.

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

There was nothing boring about that game which we dominated from start to finish.

Interesting assessment. Last 15 was better and we played some nice stuff, but we haven't exactly entertained in the last four games.

I’d say that 28 shots to 7, 360 passes to 299 and 56% possession hints at a fair amount of dominance. Depends what you deem as entertainment.

How many of those shots were high-value chances? Not many. Dominance ≠ entertainment. We know we can combine the two - we have done for much, if not most, of the season - but today's game was quite an arduous watch for the most part.

• An inconsistent side that never gives up, in and around the top of League One? I'll take that.

• edited February 2022

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Is there ever a scenario you would point out a negative aspect to a game or anything to do with the club? ;)

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Winning!

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Is there ever a scenario you would point out a negative aspect to a game or anything to do with the club? ;)

I’m grateful to support a small club that has been so successful and holds so many of the values that I admire so I am prepared to forgive most things. I’ve enjoyed far more ups than downs following the Wanderers.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I’m grateful to support a small club that has been so successful and holds so many of the values that I admire so I am prepared to forgive most things. I’ve enjoyed far more ups than downs following the Wanderers.

Good response, to what was only a very gentle tickle.

• I found it pretty entertaining. The high balls were frustrating because in that wind they never ever went where they were supposed to, and it got pretty annoying that we kept trying it, but it was an entertaining match.

• I actually enjoyed the game maybe it was the local Belgian beer but I thought we fought really hard, never gave up despite not being at top of our game or perhaps full of confidence. They gave 100% today and I’ll take that every time

• I very rarely don’t enjoy watching this current Wycombe side. Tuesday night was entertaining and frustrating.

I’d say using a term like ‘high value chances’ might mean I watch with different expectations to others. Maybe My enjoyment would change if I used started thinking like the next generation fans.

As an aside it was pretty windy in Lincoln today. Any effect on how entertaining a side is can be often forgotten.

• I thought we did reasonably well again. That back 3 looks quite settled and something about having a right foot/left foot combination either side of the central defender seems to work nicely. Certainly we’ve been much better balanced the last two games, and had more territory and control as a result.

I did get pretty frustrated at some of the attacking play, however. Lots of balls bouncing around the six yard box that we were too flat footed to prod home.

McCleary to me looked tired on Tuesday and even more so today. Certainly not sharp enough to really pose the threat we know he can carry. I was surprised to see him start ahead of Hanlan. We didn’t make their defence turn round and chase balls back toward their own goal often enough for me, and Hanlan is more likely to give us that option by running in behind.

Horgan did well to settle down possession and move the ball around quicker. Did enough to be ahead of McCleary in the pecking order Saturday for me. Although overall I feel irritated that we’ve not got more out of the attacking midfield talent we’ve got available.

• edited February 2022

@Glenactico said:
    I thought we did reasonably well again. That back 3 looks quite settled and something about having a right foot/left foot combination either side of the central defender seems to work nicely.

Just better for ball progression as you have players receiving on their natural side and with more natural passing routes ahead of them

• Any news on Taff ? Or has he just fallen out of favour

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Chris called it spot on with the dissent... Totally unnecessary from Josh. Why can’t he just shut his gob for once?

According to Ainsworth the ref said that there was no bad language and it was the way Scowen aggressively approached him after a decision went against us. Seems harsh. Maybe the ref wouldn't have given another yellow had he not seemingly forgotten Scowen was already in the book.

• Interesting. It looked for all the world like the ref reacted to something he heard. If he was reacting to an aggressive remonstration, it seems very selective to pick out Josh over and above many similar reactions during the game... The point still remains that, when on a card, you kind of need to keep off the ref’s radar.

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Your pissed.

• We can talk about dominating games , the number of shots and the % of possession but the reality is we have got 2 points out of the last 12. Not promotion form at the moment.

• @davecz said:
    We can talk about dominating games , the number of shots and the % of possession but the reality is we have got 2 points out of the last 12. Not promotion form at the moment.

10/12 in the 4 before though.

But we certainly need to lamp Cheltenham or even the most positive will start doubting themselves.

• @Watford_Blue said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    @Chris called it spot on with the dissent... Totally unnecessary from Josh. Why can’t he just shut his gob for once?

According to Ainsworth the ref said that there was no bad language and it was the way Scowen aggressively approached him after a decision went against us. Seems harsh. Maybe the ref wouldn't have given another yellow had he not seemingly forgotten Scowen was already in the book.

Scowen is knee-high to a grasshopper. It seems very harsh for the referee to book him owing to feeling intimidated.

• To be fair at 81 minutes the 'I respect that Ainsworth but he has taken us out of the play-offs wheels are off I told you so ' brigade were no doubt rubbing their hands together with glee. You're right though @Malone I'm looking forward to the Cheltenham game.

• edited February 2022

All well and good saying we had 28 shots today, but 17 of them were from outside the box - of which only about a couple looked close to being goals (only two on target and iirc one was straight down the 'keeper's throat).

• Some of the shooting today was pretty laughable. Whilst I applaud the effort of Grimmer, Orbita and Thompson in trying to score from outside the box stats will show that they are not that good at it. When it comes of it’s lovely and exciting but when the commentator is naming the letter you hit on the stand name it’s time for training or constraint.

• Who was it who would fine players for shooting outside the box? Gregory?

• edited February 2022

FWIW, % on target of Wycombe players with 10+ shots from outside the box this season:

Mehmeti 30 (1 goal)
    McCleary 26.3 (2)
    JJ 20 (1)
    Thompson 20 (2)
    Vokes 20 (0)
    Horgan 14.2 (1)
    Scowen 13.3 (0)
    Grimmer 0 (0)

• Wasn’t Grimmer’s left foot goal from outside?

• Just in, although it had the feel of an outside-the-box strike

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Some of the shooting today was pretty laughable. Whilst I applaud the effort of Grimmer, Orbita and Thompson in trying to score from outside the box stats will show that they are not that good at it. When it comes of it’s lovely and exciting but when the commentator is naming the letter you hit on the stand name it’s time for training or constraint.

I have no problem with them shooting when the wind was strongly behind them - there was definitely a possibility of someone scoring from 40 yards today.

But really, I just what to acknowledge what a fine misspelling that is of Obita in the context of this post.

• edited February 2022

A word since I've not seen it mentioned above for the support today. Felt the return of the drum added to the vocal support and the atmosphere was decent throughout, despite us trailing almost all of the game. Not sure what the solution is and don't really want to open a can of worms but think we could do with it back at Adams Park if the drumming is sensible which it was today.

• @Watford_Blue said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Just watched the highlights. If Scowens' approach was deemed "aggressive" by that referee, how on earth did the referee get to the match? Surely he would be frightened of his own shadow. Must have been something Scowen said, as that is not an aggressive approach!