Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• Oh FFS Josh...

• Straight back out of the team then.

And what's this JJ cross to Vokes missed chance? Twitter says it was in, but clawed out :(

• edited February 2022

Not great but at least we didnt lose plus PNL lost, franchise & the Mackens drew

• Credit to the subs I thought they all did well. I’ll take that having nearly lost !

• @Malone said:
    Straight back out of the team then.

And what's this JJ cross to Vokes missed chance? Twitter says it was in, but clawed out :(

In fact a very good save by the keeper

• Up to fifth. Football is a weird old game.

• Last 15 or so was great, let's use that

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Last 15 or so was great, let's use that

Much better performance by you too, if I may say so. A welcome and necessary change of tactics.

• That was the stupidest red card we’ll see all season.

• @Chris called it spot on with the dissent... Totally unnecessary from Josh. Why can’t he just shut his gob for once?

• Sounds like a great scraped point from an average performance.
    A few other results went decently, so we've ticked another away off and got away with it a bit on what looks to be a delayed version of our usual Christmas/early new year slump.

Really got to see Cheltenham off next week.

• Scowen's a damn fool. At least that's just a one match ban - wonder if we can make the Long Crendon game? if we delay telling the EFL I'm sure we'll get away with it.

Watching that unfurl on Sofascore and Twitter was painful but great yet again from the boy Forino. What a young star he is.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Though it's easy to pretend
    I know that's not a goal

I should have known better than to doubt G A

The wasted chances all forgiven

• Must admit I've been.out and about so not keeping an eye on scores..when I saw 1-0 at 80 minutes and out of playoff places I was not planning on visiting the Gasroom this evening!

• It was an interesting game, Lincoln once they scored were very happy to let us have the ball and hit us on the counter.
    We couldn’t break them down and resorted to shots from 30 yards.
    Switch to a back four made a huge difference. Obita and McCarthy are great when we need more defensive minded wing backs but when the opposition put two banks of four, they don’t beat their men too often.
    As always, we never give up and thoroughly deserved a point and on the balance probably deserved all three.
    Horgan was very good when he came on and really linked the play well.
    I also think we really miss JJ being able to drive forward and deliver balls into the box or direct play. I’d be really happy to see us play 4 at the back again. Particularly now we could play Forino and Stewart together at CB.
    Good performance and a good point.
    Every team will have a bad spell, let’s hope we can get out of ours and go on a little run now.

• Last two games:

50 shots to 9
    16 shots on goal to 4
    Two draws

I actually think we played well the last two - apart from just the finishing that has been off.

• I thought Horgan actually did well when he came on, I would give him a start next game. I far prefer McCleary overall but I don’t think there’s any harm in the occasional change.

• I must say I was getting a bit jealous watching their young wing back from Arsenal. I understand the philosophy behind not bringing players in on loan this season (except that strange one from Newcastle to give him a taste of a first team squad) but damn could we do with some spark in the wingback position, particularly on the right. Couldn't we have secured a wingback from Arsenal this window instead of Lincoln?

Obita's cross for Forino was one of the very few crosses we saw from the wingbacks today. The instruction seemed to be to boot in the long ball and then shoot from 25 yards out. It really doesn't look like a play-off capable side at the moment, and we're almost at full strength.

• The right side is the bigger problem, McCarthy can neither beat a player or deliver telling crosses.

• It's something to address in the summer if we keep the system, but Grimmer > McCarthy at RWB

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We have become so boring to watch lately

There was nothing boring about that game which we dominated from start to finish.

• edited February 2022

I love McCarthy, and strangely he was tearing up the second tier at the end of last season, but he has just been way below par all season, unfortunately.

• edited February 2022

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    We have become so boring to watch lately

There was nothing boring about that game which we dominated from start to finish.

Interesting assessment. Last 15 was better and we played some nice stuff, but we haven't exactly entertained in the last four games.

• McCarthy needs a spell out the team. We were on a great run before he came back in ironically. He seems to be a real favourite of Ainsworth's.

• McCarthy had one of his best games in ages v Shrewsbury - his crossing finally came good - but today he receded to the level he's been at pretty much all season. Hopefully Stewart is fit enough to come back in v Cheltenham.

• Tuesday: ‘if we play like that and can’t win there’s no chance.’

Today: ‘if we play like that and don’t lose there’s every chance.’

• @Shev said:
    I love McCarthy, and strangely he was tearing up the second tier at the end of last season, but he has just been way below par all season, unfortunately.

It doesn't make sense, as he was an undoubted star player the last time he played for us in league 1. He wasn't snapped up by a championship team by accident.

But just hasn't been close to that level this season.