Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• I think everything there is to say about that badge has already been said in the very first comment here

• Always worth seeking out the actual imp when visiting Lincoln. Until 1549 the cathedral was tallest building in the world. Indeed Ruskin described it as the most precious building in Britain if not the world.
    Every day a school day.

• edited February 2022

And it would have remained the tallest structure in the world until 1884 if the central spire hadn't collapsed

• And just in case anyone has never learned about a sheela na gig from the PJ Harvey song, this is a really great resource. Not sure if there's any on Lincoln cathedral though sadly.

• Big game today, as they all are really. Could do with a win to get out of what feels like a mini slump

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    And it would have remained the tallest structure in the world until 1884 if the central spire hadn't collapsed

Cowboy builders even in those days!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Always worth seeking out the actual imp when visiting Lincoln. Until 1549 the cathedral was tallest building in the world. Indeed Ruskin described it as the most precious building in Britain if not the world.
    Every day a school day.

And talking of schooldays, 1549 was the year my secondary school was founded. I started during the 400th anniversary. Not the original building!

Not heard that about the cathedral before. Amazing.

• edited February 2022

No Bayo today - Super Bowl weekend

• Why does the Imp look like he is busting for a turnout?

• It's probably too late to mention this (sorry) but Brown's Pie Shop serves the best pie and pint you'll find anywhere.

• think GMac needs a rest today , let's give Hirgan a go and see how he performs

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    No Bayo today - Super Bowl weekend

And with TJ going out on loan, might be a chance for the Iraqi lad

• I’d like to see us go back to 4-3-3. With two wide men supporting Vokes.
    I’d have Kaikai and McCleary wide today.
    If Forino plays then JJ at left back but if Tafa plays then it has to be Obita to cover the Taffs lack of pace.
    Fingers crossed Scowen is back playing alongside Thompson and Wing

• Yes good call Horgan or Kaikai - GMac on from the bench perhaps

• Be surprised if he's dropped simply because his corner taking. He does need to be dropped through.

• The number of fans wanting to drop our best player is mental

• @bigred87 said:
    Be surprised if he's dropped simply because his corner taking. He does need to be dropped through.

*rested

• The way we pressed Lincoln last time with the 2-1 attacking set-up was superb. If McCleary drops to the bench, I'd have Horgan over Anis for pressing ability. I imagine Stewart wasn't quite right the other night, but hopefully he's back.

• I’m not sure he even needs resting. He may not have been at his brilliant best on Tuesday but, hardly surprising in a game in which attacking football was so ruthlessly stifled.

• He's looked a bit off it for the last few games, but that might not necessarily be down to fatigue. Gaz will do what's right.

• Isn’t McCleary simply doing what McCleary does. A good game about every four? Some seem to have put him on this pedestal and think anything below brilliant is him being tired or struggling.

Today could be his day and for that reason alone I see him as undroppable.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@bigred87 said:
    Be surprised if he's dropped simply because his corner taking. He does need to be dropped through.

*rested

Somewhat ambiguous/incomplete @bigred87 but I assume you meant that his corners are seen as so important that he is worth his place even when not on top form/a bit on the tired side?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Isn’t McCleary simply doing what McCleary does. A good game about every four? Some seem to have put him on this pedestal and think anything below brilliant is him being tired or struggling.

If you think McCleary is only good that often, goodness knows what you make of the rest of the team?

• Just when you think you've heard it all ?

• He’s not allowed to be less than brilliant, it seems - at least in the minds of a tiny few?

• @micra said:

And talking of schooldays, 1549 was the year my secondary school was founded. I started during the 400th anniversary. Not the original building!

Not heard that about the cathedral before. Amazing.

I at first read that as " 1949 was the year my secondary schooling started", which is probably about right isn't it @micra?

• McCleary wasn't up to his own (exceptionally high) standards on Tuesday, i'd be minded to start Kaikai or Horgan. I'd assumed Vokes below par performance midweek was due to the after effects of Covid, although RTBs suggested he was well clear of that. Do we rest him as well. maybe a front three of Hanlan, Horgan and Kaikai.

• Yes @Twizz - September 1949, not quite 11, and they called it the eleven plus.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Isn’t McCleary simply doing what McCleary does. A good game about every four? Some seem to have put him on this pedestal and think anything below brilliant is him being tired or struggling.

If you think McCleary is only good that often, goodness knows what you make of the rest of the team?

By good I mean a real match changing game. His base level is good and has been in recent matches for me. Yet some call for him to be dropped? Today could be his match changing game

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

By good I mean a real match changing game. His base level is good and has been in recent matches for me. Yet some call for him to be dropped? Today could be his match changing game

I'd play him almost every game myself. The occasional midweeker on the bench perhaps.

I think he was rested more last season if memory serves correct. But then we were generally under the cosh more so maybe there was more defensive work and rests were needed more? Or maybe we hadn't realised he was THE game changer in the team that early.