Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    The way MK smothered our creation in the final third by always having 3 or 4 men around the ball was reminiscent of Barnsley last season. There was a spell of around 15 minutes when they were really stretched but we didn’t turn the pressure into chances. Credit to them for that, as much as bemoaning our profligacy.

Harsh to expect Horgan to get splinters for 3 months then turn in a worldie display on demand, when everyone else is playing pants. Not his fault he’s not been getting game time...

Exactly, moaning about Horgan when all he's been getting is 10 minutes here and there. Yesterday was the most he's been asked to play for about 2 months !

Ran out of patience with Horgan a good while ago. Plenty of chances to shine in the past season and a half. Barely glimpses. Won’t be sad when his contract ends in the summer definitely one that could have been.

Agree totally. Big reputation, allowances made for us being pony for half a season in a tough league, but apart from a few decent moments it's just not happened.
    Mehmeti has outshone him and McCleary has been a different class entirely.
    It happens though, it doesn't look any sort of lack of effort.

• That EFL statement is appalling. Just full of bland generalisations. They need to start by addressing the specific chanting that caused all the problems yesterday. Something like:

“The EFL has been made aware of chants referring to players & managers as “being sex offenders”. This is totally unacceptable & contravenes everything the EFL has been doing to combat discrimination & promote equality. Directors of any club whose supporters have been heard making such chants will be summoned to meet the EFL to let the EFL know why it is happening at their club. Any repeat thereafter will lead to a 3 point deduction as a disciplinary matter”.

Making such a bland, non-specific statement tells me they are saying they know about it but hope it will go away without the EFL being dragged kicking & screaming by the media to do something about it.

• edited January 2022

@A_Worboys said:
    That EFL statement is appalling. Just full of bland generalisations. They need to start by addressing the specific chanting that caused all the problems yesterday. Something like:

“The EFL has been made aware of chants referring to players & managers as “being sex offenders”. This is totally unacceptable & contravenes everything the EFL has been doing to combat discrimination & promote equality. Directors of any club whose supporters have been heard making such chants will be summoned to meet the EFL to let the EFL know why it is happening at their club. Any repeat thereafter will lead to a 3 point deduction as a disciplinary matter”.

Making such a bland, non-specific statement tells me they are saying they know about it but hope it will go away without the EFL being dragged kicking & screaming by the media to do something about it.

I agree. I know it's a sensitive issue, but none of the TV coverage I've seen went into any detail beyond mentioning that there had been 'an offensive chant' (although I don't know what the rules/guidelines are on this?). It got touched on by the commentator on EFL on Quest (again, in no greater detail), but the guys in the studio didn't cover that aspect of the game at all.

• Obviously you're not going to hear the chant on TV reports. Firstly it's insensitive and why would you want to repeat that? Secondly it might encourage others to copy it. Thirdly, it's defamatory to the players mentioned who would then be in a position to sue the broadcaster.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    The EFL are now getting involved following yesterdays vile nonsense. I genuinely hope that the small minority who think that this kind of chanting is great, fun, banter, advantageous, normal it is not and it has no place at Wycombe games home or away. We’ve set a benchmark now. The management, players and fans have drawn a line and said we are better than this and we are going to continue to be better than this. I applaud this 100%. So a clear message to any who want this as part of their match day - set your sat nav to MK2 from now on.

Agree with those sentiments @TheAndyGrahamFanClub but several hundred ‘fans’ joining in such vile chanting is hardly a small minority (and listening on commentary it sounded virtually unanimous). As Bayo says, the authorities (whether at club level or, ahem, EFL) need to nip it in the bud. We won’t hold our breath so far as the latter are concerned!

As someone who, mainly for health reasons, has stopped attending games despite having a season ticket, the current deterioration in standards of behaviour amongst a significant minority of fans certainly doesn’t encourage me to return and I fear that many of the people who parted with their money this month for one or more of the “big three” matches may think twice about returning for the more bread and butter fare.

Finally, I was surprised and disappointed to read reports of the pitch ‘misbehaving’. Someone even referred to a crumbling surface and unpredictable bounce being a regular phenomenon at this time of year. In television the pitch looks immaculate and we normally have plenty of slick passing football on the deck. If the surface is crumbling, presumably the grass roots are being damaged. Is there visual evidence of this?

• Pitch looked fine to me ?

• I was surprised at just how high the bounce was, and the ball certainly bobbled as it travelled. Before Saturday this didn't happen to the same extent.

• Is not the crumbling of the surface and the car park bounce, a result of when the 'Desso pitch' was laid, due to the London Parasites wobbling about on our pitch ?
    Did they not have to dig a few feet down to lay this surface.

• No lighting rigs yet, as far as I know, to help keep the grass in top condition during the winter.

• With the greatest respect fellow Gasroomer’s, I never felt once that the pitch had an adverse effect on how Milton Keynes kept possession of the football.

Let’s be honest, the wind had more effect on the ball when we were in possession than the pitch.

• God if you think the AP pitch is bobbly then you haven’t played much local football on the delightful surfaces of Booker, Gosmore Lane etc.

• We don't have to scrabble around for mad excuses. The pitch surely hasn't changed in 2 weeks since the Oxford game that seemed to go ok!

• Pitch looked fine to me

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    I thought that bar his shotstopping, Stockdale was particularly bad today. Distribution was SO slow, and 3 free kicks in our half were launched straight to their goalkeeper. Our crossing is so poor. Was begging for the ball to be whipped in on so many occasions but got a pea roller or a snow ball instead.

Observations (if not to state the obvious)

• Wheeler battled but offered little.
    • Thompson had an off day.
    • Hanlan battled and never stopped trying.
    • Horgan offered very little again...time running out for him?
    • Vokes changed the game, was probably a mistake not to start him
    • we need a CB and a midfielder.
    • our touch/sharpness seemed off. Three times (McCleary, Obita, Horgan) let us down with poor touches or not being switched on. Twice at the back post where bad touches meant the ball rolling off the pitch instead of creating a goalscoring chance.
    • severe lack of creativity. We did not have one clear cut chance (apart from Stocko's launch up the pitch that happened to fall to Hanlan who fluffed his lines)

I will also never understand the Sunday league tactic of launching a throw in down the line. You are relying very heavily on luck that any flick on will land in your favour.

To be honest I could excuse most of your comments on a strong blustery wind and a horrible bobbly pitch. Both teams struggled in the areas you mention.

‘Vokes changed the game’ yet ‘we did not have one clear cut chance’. Mmmmm

OK, perhaps mis-worded a little.
    Vokes offered so much more than what he had in the first half. Still not enough but MK actually defended really well.

If the wind was that "strong and blustery", why did we resort to kicking the ball up in the air and hoping for the best? We rarely strung a sequence of 3 of 4 passes together. The one time we did in the second half, we produced quite a nice move.

Because the pitch bobbled and bounced all over the place. It was hard to keep it down and play. Neither side managed it with any effect all day. Some may argue that they are professional footballers and should do better but year after year the top surface of our pitch crumbles after under soil heating use and today was the first game of that sequence this season.
    I think you’ll see more long ball going forward.

It didn't bobble and bounce for MK though?

• Pitch seemed fine no different to any recent game. MK played well. We didn't. > @HolmerBlue said:

Pitch looked fine to me

And me. We were just terrible on it.

• Sorry, pitch can't be used as an excuse. Same for both sides. MK were simply the better team on the day.
    As an observation, didn't a smoke bomb land on the pitch at the game or is my ageing memory playing havoc again. Only I don't recall it being mentioned yet. Apparently 3 were thrown on the pitch at another EFL game Saturday.

• Yes a red one in homage to Wimbledons away kit circa 1995 no doubt

• Very sad that we've had to ban several of our own fans already this year

• The MK Manager was very clear in making a cut it out gesture to his fans. Very similar to when a referee crosses his arms to indicate no penalty will be awarded.
    I thought Lewington was then going to go over to speak to the fans but instead he stopped and talked to Bayo.
    It was disappointing that none of their players or managers seemed to go right over to their fans and ask them to stop.

I would have liked to have seen our Chairman apologise to Matt Taylor in his letter today, for the chants that a small minority of our crowd gave out at the Oxford match. I haven't seen an apology anywhere else but happy to be corrected. Appreciate, this appears to have now been stopped and those made to see sense.

In terms of the match, I thought MK were very organised, very physical and played with two banks of four which we failed to break down.
    We had started to build some momentum and then it all got taken away when Bayo came on and Vokes was left on as well. Apart from a short spell at Fleetwood this has never worked or even looked like working.
    Vokes should have started, and if he could only manage 45-60 due to Covid then he could have come off for Bayo.
    It's not all doom and gloom though, we're in a great position, have had a couple of knock backs, so hopefully we can get back to winning ways against Shrewsbury.

I'm very surprised that we appear to not want to dip into the loan market for CB or CM cover. Either Gape & Scowen are very close to returning or there genuinely isn't anyone out there.

Only time will tell but I think with the league being so tight, those extra two players could well be the difference between finishing in the top 6 or not.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Funny on the MK forum I am sure there was a threat about their apology that had their fans complaining about the club making too much of a nothing incident. I cannot find it now.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Funny on the MK forum I am sure there was a threat about their apology that had their fans complaining about the club making too much of a nothing incident. I cannot find it now.

A threat?

• Listening to Bayo's interview I thought at the time that the Oxford fans had started singing about Gareth at first and then Bayo (rhymes better?) and it seems I was right. Obviously, the acoustics in the away end are better than the terrace as I honestly missed our fans singing it. I hope the publicity has killed it for any 'fan' thinking of continuing it. The allegations coming out today about another player I would hope make most fans of any age think twice about reducing important issues to a rancid football chant.

• Mark my words, with all the front page stuff going on at the moment it will get worse before it gets better. If the EFL made a diktat that if any club’s fans started chanting “sex offender” chants against an opposition player/manager then the ref should take the players off & abandon the game & award the match to the opposition. Once those involved get battered by their own supporters it will stop immediately.

• @A_Worboys Won't a rule automatically awarding the match to the opposition encourage a bunch of "home fans" to turn up at a game and go in the away end (or vice versa) chanting abuse in order to get the game abandoned. Or even say MK Dons fans coming to Adams Park when we are playing another team.

Remember the lad that ran on the pitch recently, reportedly had no affiliation with either team.

• @mooneyman said:
    @A_Worboys Won't a rule automatically awarding the match to the opposition encourage a bunch of "home fans" to turn up at a game and go in the away end (or vice versa) chanting abuse in order to get the game abandoned. Or even say MK Dons fans coming to Adams Park when we are playing another team.

Remember the lad that ran on the pitch recently, reportedly had no affiliation with either team.

and just THINK of the outcry when clubs mysteriously find promotion form through getting a double agent in the opposition end every time and getting all their games abandoned.

"oy! stewards! didn't you hear me? I just did the forbidden chant - under EFL bylaw 24, subsection 1.2, the opposition MUST be awarded the 3 points. Call the game off now, or I'll report you, yeah?"

nah, surely no-one would shithouse that much. would they?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Listening to Bayo's interview I thought at the time that the Oxford fans had started singing about Gareth at first and then Bayo (rhymes better?) and it seems I was right. Obviously, the acoustics in the away end are better than the terrace as I honestly missed our fans singing it. I hope the publicity has killed it for any 'fan' thinking of continuing it. The allegations coming out today about another player I would hope make most fans of any age think twice about reducing important issues to a rancid football chant.

Don’t think yer average fan thinks twice about anything much. I blame Dylan. Bob, not Evans. Oh, heck, someone please explain that one to the under 60s.

• There are so many difficulties in trying to get the punishment correct for this.

I think it needs some kind of strike system that impacts the club and fans directly to make them think again.

I've just typed this out in two minutes with no research or discussion. Something like this, so they can identify offenders more quickly:

Strike 1 - only fans with ticket history can go to next 3 away games and they have to be registered members. Any passing tickets on = season ban.
    Strike 2 - Season ticket holders / members only at next 3 home games.
    Strike 3 - One game behind closed doors
    Strike 4 - 3 point deduction with further 3 suspended for next offence.

Should be carried over seasons.

I also think, it should be when the collective group of fans are chanting, not just an isolated individual or small group. Those individuals should be easy enough to identify and punish accordingly.

Penalising the clubs with Strike 2,3 & 4 both financially and with possible points might make them stand up and do something. Will also encourage fans to perhaps self police a bit more...even if just to report people rather than confront.

• Do you envisage a centralised list of chants that are verboten or at the discretion of each club?