Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

I think you’ll see more long ball going forward.

Lord, I hope not.
    What with £10 burgers, moronic chanting, cars parked illegally blocking pavements; that just might be the last straw for me.
    Back to gardening on a Saturday afternoon.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Aylesburyblue said:

@robin said:
    Oxford's Cameron Brannagan has scored his 4th penalty of the game as they lead 6-1 at Gillingham.

Quite something to be awarded 4 pens in a match let aline score 4..Ref must have received a brown envelope .

I’m sorry, but why “must” the ref have received a brown envelope?

am I the only one that see this comment as a symptom of the exact reason we get the same sort of throw away “banter” as calling football players a sex offender with absolute no substance behind it?

I haven't seen the highlights of that game, but seeing as they were playing Gillingham, I'm assuming each pen decision was the correct call!

• @Wycombe85 said:
    With the time wasting, I think it's more about the reputation that we've managed to obtain, when so many other teams do the same. It always seems odd to me that Wycombe are singled out amongst League 1 teams. I mean, even at our most extreme I don't remember us having 3 players booked in game for time wasting. That's not a criticism of MK as such (plenty of other much more relevant things they can be criticised for!) just an observation that time wasting isn't a "Wycombe thing", there's plenty of sides who are least every bit as guilty.

Yes totally..Wycombe gets tarnished with it yet everyone else thinks their clubs don't.

• edited January 2022

FGR fan hit in the head by a seat thrown by one of their own fans (they won, ffs). People have gone feral and yesterday seems to have been the worst day for it so far.

• All four of Oxford’s penalties were ‘nailed on’.

• The way things are going there may be a lot more VPN subscribers. The last three home matches have been a hassle. Such a shame when the Couhigs are trying so hard.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    The way things are going there may be a lot more VPN subscribers. The last three home matches have been a hassle. Such a shame when the Couhigs are trying so hard.

What happened at the Sunderland game?

• @A_Worboys Given the amount of football you’ve seen at AP over the years, you must’ve noticed that there is an excessive amount of bounce, generally. The pitch wasn’t dry yesterday.

• @fame_46 I’m confused, when have I said JJ has been poor? He has been an excellent performer this season, one of our best. But he has been horribly exposed in more recent games by a lack of central midfield/deep lying left midfield cover. What I mean by that is previously JJ was very rarely being directly run at the opponents in and around the box. In recent games he is being exposed to this and, no matter how good a player he is, he cannot compete as well in a one on one against an attacker with pace. It needs to be resolved. To reiterate this is a team structure problem resulting in JJ being exposed, not a criticism of JJ.

Bringing on a second target man yesterday in place of Hanlan was a ridiculous thing to do and meant we basically just hacked the ball forward in a strong wind for the last 20 minutes yesterday to little effect. That isn’t a criticism of Bayo, it’s a criticism of the tactics.

I think @TheAndyGrahamFanClub was right yesterday when he said it is about players too, get Scowen and Vokes back on the 11 and we’re much stronger, but I think a back 4 would be a better option than a 3 at the moment. And just for the record, I think JJ could play LCB or LB in that formation so it is not a change just to take an excellent performer out of the team!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2022

Bayo and Vokes can’t play together.

They are essentially trying to do the same job and it removes a player who could be going after the flick on.

We were threatening at times in the second half, but was completely nullified when Bayo came on.

Should have had De Barr/Al-Hamadi as an option to replace Hanlan, or kept Horgan back and used him there rather than having him in midfield.

Thought the game was summed up in a nutshell in injury time when we had possession on the wing near the dugouts, took a poor touch and it dribbled out, with the ref then blowing for full time.

• The way MK smothered our creation in the final third by always having 3 or 4 men around the ball was reminiscent of Barnsley last season. There was a spell of around 15 minutes when they were really stretched but we didn’t turn the pressure into chances. Credit to them for that, as much as bemoaning our profligacy.

Harsh to expect Horgan to get splinters for 3 months then turn in a worldie display on demand, when everyone else is playing pants. Not his fault he’s not been getting game time...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    The way MK smothered our creation in the final third by always having 3 or 4 men around the ball was reminiscent of Barnsley last season. There was a spell of around 15 minutes when they were really stretched but we didn’t turn the pressure into chances. Credit to them for that, as much as bemoaning our profligacy.

Harsh to expect Horgan to get splinters for 3 months then turn in a worldie display on demand, when everyone else is playing pants. Not his fault he’s not been getting game time...

Exactly, moaning about Horgan when all he's been getting is 10 minutes here and there. Yesterday was the most he's been asked to play for about 2 months !

• I think MK were well organised yesterday but with our lack of early pressing and a misfiring midfield we made them look better than they were. Neither team were that great and second half had Obita's freekick been better or we got a better ball to Vokes we might have, unjustly possibly, snatched a point. Wheels are not off yet...just a bad game for everyone!

• Horgan contributed as much as McCleary, Mehmeti and Hamlin yesterday. Poor day for all but they will all win us points at some stage soon.

• I didn’t think the ref was particularly biased we just didn’t show up

• @HolmerBlue said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    The way MK smothered our creation in the final third by always having 3 or 4 men around the ball was reminiscent of Barnsley last season. There was a spell of around 15 minutes when they were really stretched but we didn’t turn the pressure into chances. Credit to them for that, as much as bemoaning our profligacy.

Exactly, moaning about Horgan when all he's been getting is 10 minutes here and there. Yesterday was the most he's been asked to play for about 2 months !

There's a reason he's only getting 10 minutes here and there, Gareth feels he has better options within the squad.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The EFL are now getting involved following yesterdays vile nonsense. I genuinely hope that the small minority who think that this kind of chanting is great, fun, banter, advantageous, normal it is not and it has no place at Wycombe games home or away. We’ve set a benchmark now. The management, players and fans have drawn a line and said we are better than this and we are going to continue to be better than this. I applaud this 100%. So a clear message to any who want this as part of their match day - set your sat nav to MK2 from now on.

• @fame_46 said:

@mooneyman said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@LeedsBlue said:

There's a reason he's only getting 10 minutes here and there, Gareth feels he has better options within the squad.

Have to agree, the team has performing hence Horgan has been benched. He needs to make an impact when introduced, yesterday was an opportunity missed.

Both arguments can be true, he'd improve with a decent run but if he doesn't offer much off the bench then he's unlikely to get it.
    Wether it's Horgan, McCleary or Mehmeti, or some combo of the 3 they will struggle in the current formation unless we can get Josh or someone else alongside Curtis. 3 at the back wingbacks and 2 attacking midfielders leaves a huge gap in the middle against passing sides
    . I thought Wheels had a good go yesterday but his aerial ability meant we were at times using about 4 players as target men and flicking on to no effect.
    As much as the formation and personell hurt us there was an odd lethagy and passes and attempts to control the ball failing miserably. Not a good day at the office. Nicely timed rest and reset.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    The EFL are now getting involved following yesterdays vile nonsense. I genuinely hope that the small minority who think that this kind of chanting is great, fun, banter, advantageous, normal it is not and it has no place at Wycombe games home or away. We’ve set a benchmark now. The management, players and fans have drawn a line and said we are better than this and we are going to continue to be better than this. I applaud this 100%. So a clear message to any who want this as part of their match day - set your sat nav to MK2 from now on.

• Some of their "fans" can be clearly seen in the videos... wonder if MK will do anything ?

• edited January 2022

Probably not, their 'apology' was pretty half-arsed and not even directed at Bayo

• On the other hand, Liam Manning spoke very well on it after the game and sounds like a top guy all round. Hopefully he'll find himself at a decent club soon.

• He did nothing during the incident though which clearly angered Ainsworth.

• From what I've been told, we were very pleased with how he conducted himself overall - so not quite sure what happened there.

• Their media team have got a lot of growing up to do, though. Joking afterwards about our fireworks - which normally I wouldn't have a problem with, but not after what had happened yesterday. Read the room...

• @HolmerBlue said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Ran out of patience with Horgan a good while ago. Plenty of chances to shine in the past season and a half. Barely glimpses. Won’t be sad when his contract ends in the summer definitely one that could have been.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    The way things are going there may be a lot more VPN subscribers. The last three home matches have been a hassle. Such a shame when the Couhigs are trying so hard.

What happened at the Sunderland game?

Scuffles outside the gates and onwards down Hillbottom Rd. Young kids crying because they were scared, old men being knocked into.

Same group gathered in the same spot the following week v Oxford and had to be kettled by the police to prevent aggro

• Their media team were being pretty classless and childish after the game at MK too. They’re desperate for us to consider them rivals and think it’s a derby. They’re not even particularly local - MK is bloody miles away!

I hope to god they go bust in my lifetime. I heard they weren’t in good shape a few years ago and Winkleman was having to plough cash in to paper over the cracks. Is there any update on this?