Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• Thoroughly depressing afternoon. The off-field stuff has been well covered already and @Right_in_the_Middle's post earlier is superb.

On the pitch - and I hate to say it - but Milton Keynes were superb. They had us at arms length throughout and at no point in those last 20 minutes did we come remotely close to scoring. Their keeper must have been the best we've come up against this season - really commanded his box superbly. We clearly played badly today but a lot was due to them just not letting us play - we were poor in the centre of the park without Scowen (although Thompson was excellent) and really struggled to get McCleary and Mehmeti involved from wide either. I couldn't work Wheeler's position out at all first half - I assume he was trying to play the Scowen role but he looked a shadow of himself.

I fear MK could go up on that showing. And also based on that showing it'll be far more then some of the morons "supporting" them deserve.

• edited January 2022

I've not seen a team starve us of space as brilliantly/devastatingly as MK did today this season

• "...Let's nip it in the bud..." nails it for me. Let's move on with no more of this nonsense.

• Bayo doesn’t deserve this in his final season. Yet again he conducts himself with dignity in that interview. What a role model he is.

My daughter really didn’t enjoy attending the game and was very anxious about leaving at the end, which she’s never been before. There was all sorts of low level abuse and intimidation along Hillbottom Road today too. It used to be police would hold back away fans for a few minutes during fiery / controversial matches. I think that would have helped today.

Tensions even spilt over as the chap in front of me was aggressive towards my 12 year old daughter and then to me, swearing at me in front of her. To be fair to him he apologised a few minutes later, saving us all a lot hassle come the final whistle.

I can’t recall an atmosphere as poisonous at AP before. Like others, I won’t be renewing my ticket if it carries on escalating like this or if I hear our own fans singing such chants.

• edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2022

@Lloyd2084 said:
    Bayo doesn’t deserve this in his final season. Yet again he conducts himself with dignity in that interview. What a role model he is.

My daughter really didn’t enjoy attending the game and was very anxious about leaving at the end, which she’s never been before. There was all sorts of low level abuse and intimidation along Hillbottom Road today too. It used to be police would hold back away fans for a few minutes during fiery / controversial matches. I think that would have helped today.

Tensions even spilt over as the chap in front of me was aggressive towards my 12 year old daughter and then to me, swearing at me in front of her. To be fair to him he apologised a few minutes later, saving us all a lot hassle come the final whistle.

I can’t recall an atmosphere as poisonous at AP before. Like others, I won’t be renewing my ticket if it carries on escalating like this or if I hear our own fans singing such chants.

I'm fed up with it already. If this does become the norm then I'll get more enjoyment out of Wycombe from just watching at home.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Since the drum has went the support has been pretty poor in terms of noise and sustained encouragement. Better in numbers yes but didn't hear much of a peep from our end today, that's being honest. Could do with the drum back I think. But preferably with a capable drummer that won't alienate and annoy others.

The not good drummer was posting laughing emojis about that chant after Morecambe on the Facebook group. Just about says it all really. Don’t want his drum back ever.

• He was also doing the same in response to people complaining about anti social behaviour on the shuttle busses and the toxic atmosphere on the terrace v Oxford. I used to have sympathy for him, but he’s revealed himself to be a deeply unpleasant person IMO.

• edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2022

Or we can continue to challenge it and strive for positive change. We shouldn't have to get used to or adapt to it.

• @mooneyman said:
    Obita is only just 28 @micra. Hardly coming to the end of his career (hopefully for his sake).

It was @mwite who lumped him in with the ageing crew in fairness.

• If you think about the sort of person that supports MK Dons, it has to be someone lacking the moral fibre to take a stand against something that is just plain wrong.

If you think about the sort of club that MK Dons are, it stands to reason that games between us should lack friendly rivalry, football solidarity and shared experience of being a fan.

Is it any wonder that games against them are played out against the backdrop of a toxic atmosphere that people don't enjoy and don't want to be a part of?

Twice a season we should all just all do something else for an afternoon. It won't be forever, they will cease to exist one day and be consigned to a footnote in history. That day can't come soon enough

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It would be awful if we lost fans due to the behaviour of other teams supporters

• A thoroughly depressing day! That chant is a complete embaressment and as Bayo said, needs to be nipped in the bud. The MK fans carried on singing it even after the PA announcements, the players telling them to stop and their manager telling them to stop. Utterly appalling behaviour.

On the pitch, that was one of the most lethargic Wycombe performances I've seen at AP for some time. We seemed completely devoid of any sort of spark or energy today. A very un-Wycombe like display.

I think we could do with the break, just to reset again. We were having a fantastic month, but we've dropped our standards in the last 2 games.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    A thoroughly depressing day! That chant is a complete embaressment and as Bayo said, needs to be nipped in the bud. The MK fans carried on singing it even after the PA announcements,

After the last announcement, I thought they went noticeably quiet, then gave it the "We'll do what we want" type chant, then did one last half hearted, teacher is listening 50% of the volume version, then it stopped?

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    It would be awful if we lost fans due to the behaviour of other teams supporters

Our own are also guilty

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    Obita is only just 28 @micra. Hardly coming to the end of his career (hopefully for his sake).

It was @mwite who lumped him in with the ageing crew in fairness.

Apologies to Mr Micra.

• edited January 2022

@eric_plant said:
    If you think about the sort of person that supports MK Dons, it has to be someone lacking the moral fibre to take a stand against something that is just plain wrong.

If you think about the sort of club that MK Dons are, it stands to reason that games between us should lack friendly rivalry, football solidarity and shared experience of being a fan.

Is it any wonder that games against them are played out against the backdrop of a toxic atmosphere that people don't enjoy and don't want to be a part of?

Twice a season we should all just all do something else for an afternoon. It won't be forever, they will cease to exist one day and be consigned to a footnote in history. That day can't come soon enough

The sort of club that MK Dons are is a football club. They have a vocal contingent - particularly audible at away games in a stand with excellent acoustics - that is no more or less moronic than at most other clubs including plucky, little Wycombe where the exact same chant, or similar in the case of Sunderland, has been "sung" at the past two games. Attributing this chant to the imagined moral bankruptcy of MK's foundation is to create a a straw man. The issue runs far deeper than that, but I fancy, from life experience outside a football ground, that it is relatively narrow and shallow in its expression for most of us. Hell is other people.

• Yep, the awkward truth is that the same chant is bandying its way across the country at the moment, including from a small minority of our own v Oxford as recently as 2 games ago.

• A totally depressing day both on and off the pitch. It seems almost wrong to bring up bearing in mind the totally unacceptable chants by so called football supporters but I wonder whether the last two results will result in any extra impetus in our transfer activity in the last two days.

• edited January 2022

Peterborough fans chanting the same thing at Billy Sharp today apparently (although good to see quite a few of them calling it out)

• Days like this make the good times so much sweeter when come. And they will come.

• I know no side is entirely innocent but if we are saying today's events, called out by both managers, the public address system and our player and that almost led to a walk off, are more or less the equivalent of what some of our fans did last week that myself and others around me in the Beechdean did not even hear (I asked) then I'm even more profoundly depressed.

• edited January 2022

Thoroughly depressing seeing the amount of people who seem to think they can say what they went as long as they class it as 'banter' - probably the same people who thought they got to decide what did and didn't constitute racist abuse after the Fleetwood incident. Bayo should not just have to take it on the chin; no one should, obviously. So important that we continue to challenge shit like this and call it out - especially if people around us are doing it.

Lad culture is an absolutely toxic thing and, unfortunately, it's seemingly inescapable at football. That chant is an extreme example, but it all comes from the same place.

Hopefully the Shrewsbury game is a bit more of a pleasant experience, eh.

• Not sure in truth that this chant is worse than chanting “murderer” at Luke McCormick - in fact I think that is moronic.
    Nothing to do with “size of club” or MK Dons perceived weaknesses. Just that some moron has come up with a moronic chant and stupid young men lack the wit or creativity to come up with their own so just moronically regurgitate someone else’s while congratulating themselves on their genius. They are sheep like in their herd instinct and in their intelligence.

• I think they're moronic in different ways, but moronic they both certainly are.

• @mwite said:
    Just one of those games, hopefully. The club management have done really well over the years with recruiting good players who are coming to the end of their careers - Vokes, McCleary, Obita, Stockdale even Akinfenwa in the present squad. To really progress we need to have some good young players who can develop and improve. Forino, Mehmeti, Hanlan, Tjay, Przybek, Pendlebury, Parsons, Kaikai, Al Hamadi, Linton spring to mind. Maybe this year is a holding year whilst the youngsters come on to replace the aging ones. At least we are safe from relegation now!

Very harsh on Obita here, he’s not coming to the end of his career. Vokes is only 31 as well and Stockdale could play on for quite a while yet.

Also - out if the young players list you mentioned, only 4 have any real first team experience, and the rest are almost completely unproven, so I can’t see us doing a max exodus of the first team any time soon, and neither should we.

• After today I’m convinced we need to get at least 2 players in before the window closes.
    We have Mehmeti, McCleary, Horgan, Kaikai as attacking options but nothing to string them together. We seem to have capable defenders. Capable midfielders. Capable attackers. Nothing that links the three together. Net result some embarrassing quality long ball shite coupled with some control and touches that were more conference standard than championship.
    Wheeler is a great player. I have no idea what he was supposed to be up to today. But it didn’t work. Thompson seems to only be peak Thompson when Scowen is with him. Net result they were able to play the ball out to 14 or 16 or even 6 and they could run 30 or 40 yards unopposed. Time and time again.

Forgetting about football for a while.

• @robin said:
    Oxford's Cameron Brannagan has scored his 4th penalty of the game as they lead 6-1 at Gillingham.

Quite something to be awarded 4 pens in a match let aline score 4..Ref must have received a brown envelope .