Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• Is it over yet? Can I wake up from the nightmare?

Nothing good ever seems to come from playing that horrible lot. We were second to every ball from the off today and struggled to put a meaningful string of passes together throughout.

A marginal improvement second half, in part through the introduction of Vokes who did his job well (unlike Horgan who yet again had zero impact).

That’s two excellent performances followed by two very poor ones. Our ability to carve out a significant number of chances regardless of how we’re playing feels like a thing of the past now and I fear inconsistency will see a gradual slipping away from those above us unless something changes quickly.

I had hoped for a new face or two to be announced today but even that didn’t come to anything.

Two weeks to brush ourselves down again before some ‘easier’ games and a real test against Wigan.

• At least Sunderland got absolutely hammered!!!

• @mwite said:
    Just one of those games, hopefully. The club management have done really well over the years with recruiting good players who are coming to the end of their careers - Vokes, McCleary, Obita, Stockdale even Akinfenwa in the present squad. To really progress we need to have some good young players who can develop and improve. Forino, Mehmeti, Hanlan, Tjay, Przybek, Pendlebury, Parsons, Kaikai, Al Hamadi, Linton spring to mind. Maybe this year is a holding year whilst the youngsters come on to replace the aging ones. At least we are safe from relegation now!

Not sure you can lump in an only just 28 year old Obita in the almost retired gang.

• My favourite chant today was

‘Since I was young, I’ve followed the, MK FC’

Really?

Are you sure about that?

• Oh dear, I don’t think MK were around when my pants were new ?

• What a thoroughly depressing afternoon. The football was a scrappy nil nil draw on a bobbly pitch ruined by a real sluggish moment from Stockdale and his defenders. I’ve had enough of Taffazoli.

Sadly though the off the field stuff has really saddened me. From the ref’s petulant solo taking of the knee to the scummy chanting and the flare throwing and general lack of cheering either side on. Since COVID started general behaviour has got worse and worse in public settings and today showed it is ok to abuse from afar totally consequence free.

It started before the game and I didn’t see a single away team player intervene or help. It was moronic, shameful and I hate it. The chanting can’t be dismissed as banter or coming from a minority. Bayo’s reaction was incredible. Confronting the problem but showing a class none of those morons could ever manage. Ainsworth seemed more angry than I’ve ever seen and I hope we were close to walking off. The line was crossed and I fear will get lost in the distance unless something is done.

Think I need the 10 day break because at the moment I’ve had enough. Without respect there is no enjoyment and not really much of a sport.

• I think the key in the first half was Hanlan is better out wide than in the middle. A Plan B that did not work?

• It’s great we’re getting more supporters and big away followings, but it is attracting a small number of troublemakers at both ends and it’s quite unsavoury leaving the ground at the moment.

Might just be that we’ve played 3 teams which normally attract a big attendance back to back.

Would definitely take it over 3000 home fans on a Saturday though as we had 5-6 years ago.

The last couple of games I’ve seen far more big groups of teenagers than usual going to and from the ground, looks like Wycombe is seen as a great place to go on a Saturday. Hopefully we can lock some of them in as fans for the next 20-30 years.

• Since the drum has went the support has been pretty poor in terms of noise and sustained encouragement. Better in numbers yes but didn't hear much of a peep from our end today, that's being honest. Could do with the drum back I think. But preferably with a capable drummer that won't alienate and annoy others.

• edited January 2022

Agree that it wasn't a minority chanting. As @micra said, it was clearly audible on commentary.

• An apology from MK isn’t enough their fans crossed the line

• Had a taste of what was coming walking in, when a taxi full of MK "fans" screamed the same chant out of the window!

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Since the drum has went the support has been pretty poor in terms of noise and sustained encouragement. Better in numbers yes but didn't hear much of a peep from our end today, that's being honest. Could do with the drum back I think. But preferably with a capable drummer that won't alienate and annoy others.

Rubbish, noise has been fine last 3 games... acoustics are shit

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think the key in the first half was Hanlan is better out wide than in the middle. A Plan B that did not work?

He's definitely not a lone striker type

• edited January 2022

I’m with quite a few of you on here so glad I’m not alone in my thoughts, but that’s sad really.

Utterly, utterly depressed.

I’ve got better things to do in my life than sitting around in an environment where grown men sing chants with such a sickening tone. Think I’ll bring up the Matchday Experience thread, be interesting to see if the club still read it.

I’m not sure about anyone else, but I’ve known someone who had their life utterly ruined by SO’s and anyone who thinks it’s acceptable in any kind of way needs to sort their life out.

• It's the same exact chant we were doing last week to Matty Taylor. Us getting on our high horse and acting like it's all the other fans' faults isn't going to help. There's been a change of atmosphere at football recently for the worse and it's worrying. There is a big difference between reacting to stuff on the pitch (I'm certainly not above swearing at the ref or an opposition player) and turning up smashed/off your nut on gear and fighting with each other or the stewards or calling the people you're there to watch sex offenders. The second one is a new thing since covid. We don't need football to go back to the eighties.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Absolutely ruining football. Not enjoyable and something I don’t want to be associated with at all.
    If our fans did that then I would give up watching.

Going to have to surrender the season ticket then, I’m afraid, because the exact same was chanted on the terrace about Taylor many times two weeks ago and, the week before, the Adam Johnson song too. As someone else suggested, it seems to be en vogue among those minded to sing against opponents rather than for their team. I’m glad the game was stopped for a bit - good to say that there are some limits to what you can sing without repercussion.

Re terrace events: game paused in the first half for a young lad who, albeit rather pale and clearly not on top form, managed to come down the terrace under his own steam to receive attention from St John’s Ambulance. Great reaction by all the medics all over the pitch. Second half, a couple of lads were taken out. They were stood on the yellow hatching steps - the terrace was very full today - and, when asked to move by stewards, basically said “it’s not fair” and refused. Given plenty of time and opportunity to do so - not at all knee jerk by stewards. Decided to stand their ground and got what was coming as a result. I’ve not known the terrace to be so unpleasant as it’s been the past three games and I don’t like it. The price of “success” and bigger crowds, I guess…

• The bizarre thing is the transition from taunting clubs about their ex player ACTUAL sex offenders like Johnson, which is already unseemly, to singing it against players with zero record of anything like it, like Taylor and today Bayo.

One of these chants that has swept the country, but needs to bore off quickly. You hear it on premier league games too.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think the key in the first half was Hanlan is better out wide than in the middle. A Plan B that did not work?

Are you talking about that Plan B again?

• @HolmerBlue said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    Since the drum has went the support has been pretty poor in terms of noise and sustained encouragement. Better in numbers yes but didn't hear much of a peep from our end today, that's being honest. Could do with the drum back I think. But preferably with a capable drummer that won't alienate and annoy others.

Heard about 2 songs all game and I was sat in block Q Frank Adams.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@DJWYC14 said:

Heard about 2 songs all game and I was sat in block Q Frank Adams.

It was flat today, no doubt about it. Also, acoustics are shit, no doubt about it.

• @DJWYC14 said:

The atmosphere was rubbish today and whilst I’ve never been keen on the drum, I am starting to think we could do with Paul back.

But there’s the problem. If Paul’s allowed his, you have to let the other lad have his too and whilst the atmosphere today was rubbish, it was still better than what we had before, which was just incessant, anti-social banging.

I don’t know what the solution is. Maybe the club keep the general ban but create an ‘official’ drummer role that has to be auditioned for every summer (and can be taken away if the drummer doesn’t behave appropriately).

• @HCblue said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Absolutely ruining football. Not enjoyable and something I don’t want to be associated with at all.
    If our fans did that then I would give up watching.

_ Going to have to surrender the season ticket then, I’m afraid, because the exact same was chanted on the terrace about Taylor many times two weeks ago_ and, the week before, the Adam Johnson song too.

Well I think the club and fans have found a voice and we as a club should apologise to Matty Taylor too now it’s come to their attention. Hopefully we as fans and a club can make a serious effort to stamp out those fans of ours who sang it and might do again in the future. If you want kids in the Family Stand to be the fans of the future then you don’t want parents turning their back on the club.

• Obita is only just 28 @micra. Hardly coming to the end of his career (hopefully for his sake).

• If the whole terrace was chanting about Matty Taylor last week...the acoustics must be bad as I honestly did not hear it and that is not being one-eyed about it. I would have applauded Oxford's team for leaving the pitch...as I would have applauded ours today. If I thought that was going to be a regular thing from either side as a result of success I don't think I'll be subscribing.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Wendoverman said:

Are you talking about that Plan B again?

Joking about it @thecatwwfc

• I included Obita as he has come to us from the championship. I actually regard him as a good addition.

• He's properly shaken up by it - expectedly so.

• I thought the club dealt with the chanting as well as they could. Importantly, we showed that it is taken seriously and that we’re prepared to leave the field if it continued. Hopefully it is quickly stamped out and none of our own supporters are stupid enough to direct the same chant at opposing players again.

The game itself was utterly flat in every way. Hardly anything of incident seemed to happen. This wasn’t helped by the ball barely being in active play at all thanks to the opposition taking an absolute age over every set piece. I don’t blame them for doing so. But it is dreadful to endure when you’re behind. The referee was refreshingly forceful in dishing out bookings for kicking the ball away but should really be adding 10-15 minutes added on time to create a proper punishment for the ludicrous level of time wasting. It frequently ruins games of football and should be dealt with by moving the game to a 60 min contest on a stop clock.

Really it deserved to be a 0-0. But we made a hideous mistake in our box and fluffed our own opportunities at the other end so can’t complain at the outcome.

I can’t recall many games where the response from the crowd at the end was so devoid of any emotion. Normally even in defeat there’s something to cheer/boo/clap. The game was such a void of any sort of noteworthy action that it almost felt unnecessary to acknowledge the end of it.