Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• edited May 2022

@LX1 said:
    I'm disappointed that the managers don't still walk out holding hands, like Clough and Venables in 91

Bit extreme to walk out carrying severed body parts

• Wish it had kicked off earlier wouldn’t have had to experience that torrid so called event. Watched a couple of Scottish play off games last evening so much more endeavour and desire than this overhyped premier league dross

• Extraordinary pen from Firmino

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Extraordinary pen from Firmino

They like their fancy stationery in Brazil

• @LX1 said:
    I'm disappointed that the managers don't still walk out holding hands, like Clough and Venables in 91

Not sure that El Tel was that comfortable with it at the time. I must admit the Final not being the last game of the season just means it looks like a normal Prem game to me. I find it hard to work up any interest. I hope they dont ruin the pitch.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Ok, it is boring now it's gone to pens as elite players are far too good at them now

Well, not actually that good today!

• @PJS said:
    Wish it had kicked off earlier wouldn’t have had to experience that torrid so called event. Watched a couple of Scottish play off games last evening so much more endeavour and desire than this overhyped premier league dross

Torrid?
    Just LOL.

• Pity Chelsea did not make the CL final so there could be a trilogy of overhyped 0-0s.

"They're back, and this time there is still no score to settle.."

• Wembley pitch doesn't look much bigger than any other pitch. Funny that. It didn't look perfect condition though, which might suit our "style"

• Before the narrowing a few years ago, I’m pretty sure our pitch and the one at Wembley were the same size. I know it looks bigger but that’s surely an optical illusion resulting from the bowl-like shape of the stadium.

• The size of pitch thing has to be one of the biggest myths in football.
    It's not like every player is doing countless laps and would notice the metre or 2 difference

• Our pitch was originally, at the behest of St Martin, made to the same dimensions as the old Wembley pitch. Of course, Wembley is an entirely different stadium now and our pitch is narrower than it was, so all moot.

• @Malone said:
    The size of pitch thing has to be one of the biggest myths in football.
    It's not like every player is doing countless laps and would notice the metre or 2 difference

I’m not sure ‘myth’ is the right word in this context @Malone. But the belief that a narrower pitch may be more suited (ie an advantage) to our style of play almost certainly is mythical. Otherwise, the trend towards wingbacks (whether we’re playing four or five at the back) which started towards the end of our Championship season would surely have made it an advantage to restore our pitch to the original width ?

• Out of possession it’s easier to play on a smaller pitch as there is less space for the opposition to exploit. As a team we are comfortable allowing the other team the ball which possession stats obviously back up over the past 3 seasons, so a narrower pitch does suit Wycombe, whereas the wider pitches are great for your franchise and Oxfords etc

• Let's fuck em. And per chance, a five nil into the bargain

• Mackem suffer.

• Great season for Wrexham. £2M on wages and £500K on transfers and they’ve finished a whole point ahead of Solihull Moors.

• @micra said:
    Mackem suffer.

Beautiful

• edited May 2022

@floyd said:
    Great season for Wrexham. £2M on wages and £500K on transfers and they’ve finished a whole point ahead of Solihull Moors.

They did basically start from scratch tbf. And they aren't really doing anything different to a lot of other clubs at that level - no FFP and a single automatic promotion place (which is absurd) encourages it. I like Wrexham anyway - Reynolds and McElhenney seem like decent guys.

• Was surprised to see the Conference south have this weird system that only 1 goes up auto, next 2 "bank" their place in a knock-out, then the next 4 all playoff.

Hadn't realised the Conference does that too.

Wonder why they went with that over the more traditional 4 team play-offs? Simply to keep it more interesting?
    Particularly cruel that 7th place can still gazump 2nd!

• Yeah, I think it only went up to seven teams relatively recently. But it's absolutely ridiculous that only two go up overall - no team has ever been relegated straight back to the National League since they introduced automatic promotion in 1986/87. Half of that league would be absolutely fine in League Two.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, I think it only went up to seven teams relatively recently. But it's absolutely ridiculous that only two go up overall - no team has ever been relegated straight back to the National League since they introduced automatic promotion in 1986/87. Half of that league would be absolutely fine in League Two.

It's probably time for EFL League 3 to be honest.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, I think it only went up to seven teams relatively recently. But it's absolutely ridiculous that only two go up overall - no team has ever been relegated straight back to the National League since they introduced automatic promotion in 1986/87. Half of that league would be absolutely fine in League Two.

It's probably time for EFL League 3 to be honest.

Gary Johnson was saying a little while ago that the NL should be absorbed into the EFL. Only potential obstacle I can see is that a few NL clubs are still part-time - then again, didn't Sutton win it as part-timers?

• @Malone said:

Particularly cruel that 7th place can still gazump 2nd!

They'll be letting the team that finished 8th cheat their way to 3rd next.

• Queen's Park were promoted to the Scottish Championship last night, despite finishing 21 points behind second-place Airdrie who they beat in the final. Queen's Park only won 11 out of 36 matches in the regular season. That doesn't strike me as particularly fair, but everyone signs up to the rules

• Erm... isn't the whole point that there's no FFP in the National League and so they can afford to pay higher wages than many League Two clubs? The answer isn't to make a League Three, it's to introduce some version of FFP into the upper reaches of the non-league pyramid isn't it? Otherwise the wage inflation just gets bumped down to the next level down. Or am I missing something?

• I think they should do both - even some less 'excessive' clubs are competing comfortably down there

• Danny Hylton is being a prick. I am SHOCKED.

• Ingram gets away with a stonewaller

• Poor old Luton!

They absolutely battered Huddersfield