Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• edited October 2023

So the days of having to play in a quality league at a high standard to be considered for England are over? I am behind the times as usual.

• He was horribly off the pace vs Ukraine, and he was on the way down anyway. As for the issue of ethics, Southgate has always been a fence-sitter when pressed on that as England manager.

• 12 promotions in 23 seasons which is a ridiculous achievement! Football manager armchair geeks haven't even managed that. Has that ever been beaten?

• I don't think so and I think that will still be the case but Southgate puts faith in his players and no doubt Jordan will play for another year or two depending on lots of other factors. I am glad he's not just dropped him immediately because of the move.

I think Henderson has been very poorly advised on the move, especially after all the work he did before. It will haunt him for the rest of his life and will always be talked about above his career and trophies.

• I bet Becks is seething ( after cleaning his kitchen again and again) that he had to play in two leagues to stay in England contention.

• edited October 2023

He really needs to shut up. You've made your bed, Jordan. https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1713670860467249530?t=vj_YonSgnWWaYjBQOeIORQ&s=19

• Henderson wasn't ever valued or well liked by most England fans whatever he did and he's far from a glamorous signing. I'm sure at least some of the reaction is related to that

In that (overly simplistic and puffed up) Beckham Netflix doc the suggestion was that Capello (who rarely comes across well himself) told Becks he needed to come back from the MLS in order to play for England but there's more than a hint of blame sharing / damage control in all that with Becks having tried to renege on his contract, and also being no stranger to taking the $ wherever and from whoever.

• edited October 2023

Becks has trotted out similar spiel to Hendo when challenged on his rather lucrative deal with the Qatari tourist board.

• Indeed @StrongestTeam it was funny that a new challenge rather than shed loads of money was the reason given for heading to LA.. see also Qatar and Saudi 'challenges'. Obviously, acceptance by the LGBTQ community, while good PR, does not pay the bills.

• Gah - early favourite for MK Dons managerial position is Gatehead's Mike Williamson. He seems promising, and I hoped he would go somewhere else. Mind you, that's better than GA taking over!

• I'm amazed Mike has not been offered a League job before now, especially after getting to the Trophy Final last season and managing a mid table finish in his first season in the National League.

They are going strong again this season and he plays attractive football. They gave Newcastle United a right going over in a pre season friendly but eventually lost 3-2 against a strong Newcastle squad.

Delighted for him if he gets the MK job but disappointed another ex Wanderer has chosen to go to the franchise.

• The only silver lining is that the job is taken if GA leaves QPR. I was a little concerned that the timing would match up. That would be a hard one to take!

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Bv2hkOu5c

Gibraltar U21s vs Netherlands U21s is free streaming, kick off at 4:30 UK time. Players of interest:

Starting:

Tayler Carrington (17): Made his debut for Estepona senior B team last season at the age of 16 before moving up to 3rd tier Algeciras to play with their most senior youth team. Seems to be highly rated by the club.

Paddy McClafferty (19): Was another well regarded Algeciras player having made his senior debut at CD San Roque at just 15. Has moved to the UK to study at Northumbria where he'll play for their uni team, but could well be swayed if a decent level team approaches him

Johnny Rush (17): LWB who can play further up, and is currently part of the Burton Albion academy.

Julian Del Rio (21): Had bags of promise and scored a hat-trick on his U19 debut vs Hong Kong, but a horror injury while at Cordoba B hampered his development. Now fit again he's hoping to make up for lost time on loan at Europa FC from FCB Magpies

James Scanlon (16): AM/LM for Manchester United's academy. Was promoted full time to the U18 squad in July but has already more or less been promoted to the U21 side and has trained with the first team under Erik Ten Hag. GFA are very keen to keep him with Gibraltar.

Subs:

Omar Salah (20): Currently looking for a club in the Midlands after moving to study in the UK, has been a regular and co-captain for Lynx for the past few seasons.

Kye Livingstone (20): Somewhat fell under the radar while in Gibraltar but got spotted by Larne who gave him a 2 year scholarship. Is now on a senior contract there but yet to make his debut.

Lucas Turrell (18): After a move to FCB Magpies fell through he's currently attenting trials in the UK, including (from what I've heard) Notts County. Former Leicester City academy central midfielder who's also eligible for Thailand.

Ashton Hancock (17): Left winger who broke through at Mons Calpe last season. One of the more highly rated players still playing in the local league.

• Gibraltar U21s currently 3-0 down to the Dutch at HT. They've not done too badly though - the fact they've had a fair few incursions in the final third and got a couple of attempts on goal is more than the seniors would manage in a similar game. Scanlon and Rush in particular being the main architects of their attacking play down the left. Captain Evan De Haro, despite playing for the senior team in Faro last night, started today and has had a great game in midfield, getting back and making key tackles, but 2 games in 2 days is gonna start catching up with him in the second half so I don't see him lasting the full 90. His performance will be a good one for clubs in Lancashire that are thinking of loaning him in this season.

• Bundesliga club Mainz acting totally normally and not overreacting at all... https://twitter.com/Mainz05en/status/1714332705943372199

• Chesham United into the first round of the FA Cup. What a fantastic game tonight too.

• Ah, on further digging it seems the last line of the post he shared is considered antisemitic. In which case, I retract my initial post.

• Clapton CFC beat Clapton FC 2-1 last night at the Old Spotted Dog, with a CFC equaliser coming in injury time followed by a CCFC winner even deeper into injury time.

• What's the extra C in Clapton CFC?

• Community

• Newcastle midfielder Sandro Tonali facing a long ban after he admitted betting on Milan games while playing for them. I fear we're only seeing the beginning of the impact on players of football's unhealthy gambling relationship.

• Fuck off!

• Splitters.

• Rowett out at Millwall, though it does sound as though it might be closer to mutual than a straight up sack, as they at least gave him the opportunity to put a goodbye statement out.

Seems crazy if it was a straight sack, though - he had them punching above their weight with top half finishes each year.

• Lincoln manager gone as well