Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• I do get the whinges about our slowing down the game tactics as second half we were pretty full on (any ideas what was going on when it took 2 or 3 minutes for the trainer to come on for JJ(?) after the ref had waved him on?). Difficult to have too much sympathy for Rotherham after one of their players chose not to move the half yard off the pitch for treatment.

But accusing us of shirt-pulling tactics (although we did) when Rotherham were far more overt than we are is just laughable

• @wingnut said:
    According to this:- https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19660291.bolton-sunderland-ipswich-rank-league-one-fair-play-table/
    we are top of the league 1 Fairplay table. So where does all this nasty
    stuff come from?

The corrupt referees and officials probably compile it while on a group weekend break at the Savoy Rob opened his chequebook for. ???
    I must admit I am sure we are definitely getting fewer cards so far this season.

• to be fair, @Wendoverman , Rob has got the billions coughed up by Mel Morris and the Football League, following his legal action.

• @Wendoverman said:

@wingnut said:
    According to this:- https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19660291.bolton-sunderland-ipswich-rank-league-one-fair-play-table/
    we are top of the league 1 Fairplay table. So where does all this nasty
    stuff come from?

The corrupt referees and officials probably compile it while on a group weekend break at the Savoy Rob opened his chequebook for. ???
    I must admit I am sure we are definitely getting fewer cards so far this season.

Referees like to pretend they live in a bubble of impartiality but as our season in the championship shows it could not be farther from the case. I think it’s the contrast that’s throwing you out.

• @Glenny said:
    This is going to sound like a backhanded compliment, but I thought what Rotherham did superbly last night was to block the runners who might have got on a Vokes flick-on. Warne clearly adapted from playing against us at the end of last year, and almost everytime the ball was in the air, if you watched McCleary, Horgan, or even Gape - they had a player just standing in the way obstructing where they could move. It's technically fouling, but it was done very subtley and quite astutely. Also meant that when Vokes was looking for where to head the ball, there was no-one with the momentum to time their run so a lot of decent headers were just ending up going to nobody. It was like watching the defensive equivalent of Bayo making space for himself 10 yards before the ball gets anywhere near him. I'd have liked to see Hanlan ten minutes earlier - he has just that bit more strength to be able to evade obstruction, and he's got the ability to be a different option to Vokes for the longer pass.

Both teams looked strong to me. I don't think many will take points off Rotherham at their place.

I think that’s a good observation about Rotherham doing a job of squeezing out our runners from midfield.

The reason it felt like we never really got going in attack is because Rotherham base a lot of their play around disrupting their opponent’s pattern of play. We have done exactly the same for several seasons. It is very rare that we allow a team to play to their own rhythm. Last night we experienced the same thing done to us.

• @bookertease said:

I do get the whinges about our slowing down the game tactics as second half we were pretty full on (any ideas what was going on when it took 2 or 3 minutes for the trainer to come on for JJ(?) after the ref had waved him on?). Difficult to have too much sympathy for Rotherham after one of their players chose not to move the half yard off the pitch for treatment.

But accusing us of shirt-pulling tactics (although we did) when Rotherham were far more overt than we are is just laughable

Yeah, that incident when JJ was down was a bit extreme, even for us. There's a reason that it's only our games against Rotherham that end up with barely any ball in play time - they do it just as much as we do!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Look at this bed-wetting rubbish from the Rotherham local rag ?

Comical writing that was..baffles me that they write that shite. Talk of time wasting and lack of cards etc..Rotherham should have received a yellow card in 1st min and then they had player down for good number of mins close to the touchline yet all the talk is Wycombe did that etc.

• Rotherham committed 14 fouls to our 8 according to the stats. So they stopped the game flowing nearly twice as much as we did.

Also, not directly relevant, but I don’t remember us being given one penalty yet this season...

• edited October 2021

@LeedsBlue said:
    Also, not directly relevant, but I don’t remember us being given one penalty yet this season...

Us and Cheltenham the only teams not to get one yet

• That's right, give 'em the cold hard facts! Jealousy makes people want to attack and discredit and spread rumours. The fact that so many teams have been doing this is a compliment to how far we've come as a club. Nobody likes to see little Wycombe climbing up past them in the football league game of snakes and ladders.

• Forgive me saying this for the umpteenth time, but once you are given a label/reputation in football it becomes a self perpetuating cliche irrespective of the actual facts. Pathetic crying from frustrated opposition fans and lazy journalism just adds to the myths.

• Rotherham’s Smith was the biggest offender when it came to foul play. How he wasn’t at least cautioned for the early challenge on Scowen I will never understand and he committed several fouls after that. Lucky to stay on the pitch but obviously overlooked by Rotherham fans and journalists alike.

• @bookertease said:

I do get the whinges about our slowing down the game tactics as second half we were pretty full on (any ideas what was going on when it took 2 or 3 minutes for the trainer to come on for JJ(?) after the ref had waved him on?). Difficult to have too much sympathy for Rotherham after one of their players chose not to move the half yard off the pitch for treatment.

Looked to me like JJ took a whack off the ball, but didn't want the trainer to come on. Bit of back and forth with the ref who then insisted the trainer come on as he'd stopped the game.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Rotherham committed 14 fouls to our 8 according to the stats. So they stopped the game flowing nearly twice as much as we did.

Remember that it's us buying the fouls with our gamesmanshipand over exaggeration though....do keep up.

• @Malone Work to do on ‘buying’ pens then... ?

• @Username said:

@bookertease said:

Looked to me like JJ took a whack off the ball, but didn't want the trainer to come on. Bit of back and forth with the ref who then insisted the trainer come on as he'd stopped the game.

It was a bizarre incident. The ref went over to JJ and immediately signaled for the trainer to come on. I can't see how JJ could have somehow got the message to the bench that he didn't want or need them to come on at that point. There was a Rotherham player down at the same time and it looked to me more like our bench assumed the signal was to the Rotherham bench. It then took an incredibly long time for our bench to firstly register that JJ was also down, and then for the trainer to actually head across the pitch. I've never seen anything like it to be honest. I can't see that they'd have know there wasn't a genuine issue.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Forgive me saying this for the umpteenth time, but once you are given a label/reputation in football it becomes a self perpetuating cliche irrespective of the actual facts. Pathetic crying from frustrated opposition fans and lazy journalism just adds to the myths.

I don’t disagree. But it is pretty indisputable that we were guilty of time-wasting, holding, shirt-pulling, etc on Tuesday so the evidence was there.

My problem is that Rotherham were pretty much the same so to accuse us of doing something that they could do as well as we could (better in the case of holding I thought) was pretty rich

• edited October 2021

I'm sure we can expect more of the same on Saturday from David Artell, who we've previously rattled by beating his team despite them playing 'the right way' (I think it was after the 3-2 at their place in 17/18). If we win - and I think we will comprehensively - it will definitely be because of our anti-football and not because Crewe are shit.

• We waste time so often it's hardly surprising opposition supporters accuse us of doing it every time one of our players goes down is it?

If we don't want that to happen then we should stop wasting time

• We generally take almost every free kick or goal kick long, and every corner in the box. That takes longer as it also means the big men from the back need to get forward. Why would we force them to sprint back and forth?

We're no worse than most sides, just apart from last season, we win most weeks so teams get pissed off quicker

• @Username said:
    We generally take almost every free kick or goal kick long, and every corner in the box. That takes longer as it also means the big men from the back need to get forward. Why would we force them to sprint back and forth?

We're no worse than most sides, just apart from last season, we win most weeks so teams get pissed off quicker

Absolutely right. It’s a case of opposition fans needing to find a reason why their team was beaten without admitting that Wycombe were superior. If referees believe that we are time wasting they can add time on and caution the worst offenders.

• edited October 2021

I think referees do think that and that is why our games so often finish later than everyone else's

It's become a running joke. Players stays down, someone will say "no need to panic, I reckon he's going to be ok" or suchlike, cue knowing nods and chuckles

When Scowen caused that delay to the penalty being taken the other week to the extent that it looked as though the stretcher was going to come on people around me were calling for him to be awarded an Oscar. At no point did anyone for a second have any concern that his "injury" might be anything to worry about (history of course notes that he came sprinting back onto the pitch shortly afterwards)

I still wish we didn't do it but it's been going on so long it's not really worth getting worked up about anymore. But like I said, you can't blame opposition supporters for getting pissed off

• I and others around me thought Scowen was seriously injured - but in the end we just had to applaud the shithousery. I mean, it worked ?‍♂️

• edited October 2021

Did you?

I mean the fact he was wandering about for a while beforehand, strolling over to the lino at one point to have a chat before sitting down was a bit of a clue

Plus, you know, it's us

• So is shithousery the new banter?

Pretty sad state of affairs if a player deceiving a referee about how injured he is is applauded. Especially after the recent medical emergencies where players have been in danger.

What happens if a ref assumes a player is faking it when he isn't?

• @eric_plant said:
    Did you?

I mean the fact he was wandering about for a while beforehand, strolling over to the lino at one point to have a chat before sitting down was a bit of a clue

Plus, you know, it's us

He was hobbling pretty severely, I genuinely thought he was injured.

We have a very committed and experienced side, they're not pressured into rushing free kicks by the opposition, or playing on without treatment of they've got a knock, or anything which could be detrimental to us winning. That adds time.

The fact we've been accused of time wasting when we've been drawing or even losing shows that it's largely parroted nonsense

• I got over caring about what opposition fans thought about my team some time in the Sanchez Era.

• There will eventually be a 'crying wolf' moment, but my first thought (and I know I am not alone) when JJ goes down is always 'that will be slowing things down' never 'oh my god I hope he's not seriously injured'.

It is a tactic we seem to use and use well, not so much time wasting (as the ref should add the time on) but trying to stop a team gaining/keeping momentum. Not really much you can do to stop it, but it muct be incredibly frustrating for both the opposition players and fans.

But I'd rather that than the reprehensible antics of the Rotherham players in trying to exaggerate the foul to get Taff sent off late on. It was a little bit high but not reckless or dangerous but to look at some of teh raction of theplayers you'd have though hed tried to decapitate him.

• It actually happened in the Spurs FA Cup game during lockdown. Wasn't worried in the slightest when JJ went down

He had to come off

• It's just part of the game. At least we're good at it.