Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Wasn't it the same time of year when we went six in a row without conceding in 2019-20? Our defenders love the gently falling leaves, evidently...

Yeah, and we kept a clean sheet up there with one of the best Wycombe defensive performances I've ever seen.

• edited October 2021

I just don’t understand how they can’t see how similar the two teams are. It’s like if we had complained about Lincoln constantly lumping it up to Rhead, while we had Bayo up front.

• I say again how much is it costing Rob to ensure referees do not see our cheating anti-football but book blameless silky skilled opposition players every single game?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I say again how much is it costing Rob to ensure referees do not see our cheating anti-football but book blameless silky skilled opposition players every single game?

All of his billions, evidently. Or is it trillions yet?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I say again how much is it costing Rob to ensure referees do not see our cheating anti-football but book blameless silky skilled opposition players every single game?

It’s a sobering thought that for each opposing player dreadfully injured only with god’s good grace able to recover minutes later we have a villainous counterpart hell bent on pulling the wool over the gormless referees eyes.
    I pray for those boys

• It’s a proper ‘wouldn’t pay to watch that every week’ fest on the socials.

This shows the modern supporters’ lack of appreciation of defensive arts. I enjoyed both teams’ performance in a tough game last night, but I also witnessed:

Non-stop and unpunished pulling of Vokes’ shirt.
    Smith with his arms round Stewart’s waist at every opportunity.
    Lengthy on-pitch treatment for a Rotherham player about 2 feet inside the touchline.

The saltiest fans since Northampton Town (‘handball’!?! x17).

• Agree with all of this, that was arguably the best defensive display I've ever seen us produce. It's quite remarkable that we were able to restrict their efforts on goal to the extent we did. I was dreaming of the late smash and grab just in front of us, but it wasn't to be yet another Fairytale of New York. We do seem to love it there.

I was more frustrated for Vokes, than I was frustrated with him. As has been pointed out, the central defenders were all over him the whole game, and there were rarely any runners when he did make his flick-ons. He started holding it up a little in the better second half, and there were a lot of fairly hopeful balls punted in his direction. I think we need to remember just how spoiled we have been with Bayo playing that role.

The back three were obviously immense. Again. And a final word for our Josh who I thought was absolutely sensational in the middle of the park. It's a shame he couldn't get over one of his late half chances.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Also, that's 8/13 games away from home so far - and we've taken 11 points. Not too shabby at all.

Even better... we've won 12 points away haven't we?

• Scowen was great apart from brainlessly shoving their guy over right on the edge of the box - after pegging it all the way back to make up for his own sloppy loss of possession on the edge of their box when we could have had a great chance of our own.

• @Vital said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Also, that's 8/13 games away from home so far - and we've taken 11 points. Not too shabby at all.

Even better... we've won 12 points away haven't we?

So we have! I magicked up and extra defeat from somewhere.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Scowen was great apart from brainlessly shoving their guy over right on the edge of the box - after pegging it all the way back to make up for his own sloppy loss of possession on the edge of their box when we could have had a great chance of our own.

Yes, that wasn't his finest moment!

• edited October 2021

We're the only team in the top 6 to have only played 5 home games. Sunderland and MK 6; Rotherham 7; Plymouth and Wigan 8. Maybe getting the Ipswich game called off was all part of some kind of psychological masterplan...?

• The fixture list is really odd this year (exacerbated by international postponements). Now we have 5 home games in the next 6 matches!

• Glad i took leave for the Ipswich game!

• I do really like the New York Stadium. Seems a lot more interesting than some of the other modern grounds, for example Doncasters.

Also, the level of attendance for a town the size of Rotherham is pretty good these days and something we should aspire to. They have two historically bigger clubs pretty much on theor doorstep so to regularly attract 8000+ is good going

• So it would be really interesting to analyse how Rotherham actually get that 8K plus gate.
    What do they do that is different to us?
    What are the reasons for the difference?

• Sheffield is only a bus ride away as someone correctly pointed out yesterday.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    So it would be really interesting to analyse how Rotherham actually get that 8K plus gate.

They have a long history of being a football league club which will be the main difference.

An interesting article in the Athletic last week about clubs of similar stature but now non league (Wrexham,Grimsby,Stockport) who are seeing impressive attendances this year.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    So it would be really interesting to analyse how Rotherham actually get that 8K plus gate.

I'd bet that a far higher proportion of people living around Rotherham have more connection to the place than Wycombe.

• in terms of connections to the place, I read a stat once which suggested that Barnsley (literally just up the road from Rotherham) was the town in the UK with the highest % of people who had lived in the same town all their lives.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's almost more stressful going into every game hoping it isn't the one where the run ends!

• @Username said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

I'd bet that a far higher proportion of people living around Rotherham have more connection to the place than Wycombe.

Yeah, that would be my take.

And whilst the two Sheffield clubs up the road are bigger than RUFC, I don’t think (to the average floating punter) they seem to be an order of magnitude bigger, or more glamorous - Rotherham have been in the same division as both in recent seasons.

• My only real worry is that we're still a centre-back short. We've got four excellent ones for the back three, and while Gaz clearly has great faith in the young lads (particularly Wakely by the sound of things) and they could be more than up to scratch, there's a bit of uncertainty there until we know. That said, given that they'd only come in and warm the bench until we did have an injury crisis, I think we'd be pretty limited in terms of who we could attract.

• All I can say is Wakely looked good and comfortable against Leicester.

• I think you hit the nail on the head @Username. Beaconsfield and Loudwater for instance have a great number of people who have moved out of London into the area and commute into the city on the Chiltern Line.

• edited October 2021

I am sure Winkelman thought he had a captive community starved of sport who would flock to his field of dreams when most of them would rather get on a train to go and see Arsenal. I am not an old Bucks Boy but I like supporting the local team...or perhaps I am just too poor to chose a Prem alternative compared to some other ex-Londoner commuter types in the area.

• @bookertease said:
    I do really like the New York Stadium. Seems a lot more interesting than some of the other modern grounds, for example Doncasters.

Also, the level of attendance for a town the size of Rotherham is pretty good these days and something we should aspire to. They have two historically bigger clubs pretty much on theor doorstep so to regularly attract 8000+ is good going

I have no real evidence to support this, but I think having a ground that local people see or use frequently makes a difference. Unless you've been to Adams Park, there is no reason for you to have even seen it or know it exists.

Places like Barnsley, Ipswich, Newcastle have the ground in the heart of the community, and presumably in its consciousness as well. Rotherham have managed to rebuild in the town and I think Luton have planning permission to do so as well. Even Oxford and MK, though both out of town, are still somewhere that people go to for the cinema, bowling alley, retail etc, as well as the football.

• edited October 2021

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    I think you hit the nail on the head @Username. Beaconsfield and Loudwater for instance have a great number of people who have moved out of London into the area and commute into the city on the Chiltern Line.

Exactly that, a high proportion of relatively rich commuters (not typically lower league football fans as a demographic) and older folks who were here before house prices became untenable.

Out of my school year there can't be more than 10-15% who have stayed in the area- either to move somewhere with more going on (London or other city), or move to somewhere where they can afford to buy.

From my close group of 15 or so of which almost all came along to the football at least semi regularly during school/ or at uni during holidays, only 2 of us have stayed local.

That's pretty fatal to building a fan base and I can't imagine it's anywhere near as much of a problem in Rotherham