Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• Ah Hanlan! Let that chance dribble away.

• @therabbittest said:
    Disappointed we don't seem to have tried to win this at all second half

I mean, the other team are allowed to be good. We're just not used to seeing that after the last couple of games!

• How far on the pitch was Thompson for that throw :D

• Would have been nice to pay them back for the late winner at ours last season, but a draw here is a solid result.

Never thought we'd concede, superb defensive display.

• Terrible game, good performance, great point.

• I'm glad that's over, not really an advert for how good League 1 football is.

Luckily well only remember the result, and the point in a few days.

• Superb point

They're the sort of results that get you promoted.

• Good result.

Both teams defended with real ferocity and deserved their respective clean sheets.

• Great point

• Great defensively today. Disappointed with the lack of attacking bite, Vokes held things up well, McCleary did what he could, but Horgan really lacks something, and balls from the wing backs into the box were poor.

• Bloody fantastic performance. Now to do what we've been threatening to do and wipe the floor with someone on Saturday. UTW!

• @BlueBoy said:
    Terrible game, good performance, great point.

This. I thought Rotherham were very good when they played football, which makes it baffling that they played MMA / rugby for the whole of the first half. Fun ending.

• Not the worse game you'll ever see and we'll happily have that point and bit of momentum. Easy to step into cliche bingo here but I'll go with "Decent shift from the lads"

• Sounds like a right old battle, even just via Twitter. Great point, keeps the momentum going and you can’t argue with 13 from five games.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bloody fantastic performance. Now to do what we've been threatening to do and wipe the floor with someone on Saturday. UTW!

Defensively I’ve never seen us play so well. With the exception of Stockdale’s dropped cross didn’t think we would ever concede. The less said about our attacking performance, the better.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Vokes held things up well

Did he? Struggling to remember more than a couple of occasions the ball stuck when lumped forward. He was isolated a lot and very well marshalled by their defence though.

Front 3 had zero impact tonight. Even McLeary struggled to break though. Doubt GA will mind though, I think his game plan resulted in what he hoped for.

There is a reason they’ve had the least shots against them other that Manchester City.

• If Rotherham wore red quarters it would be a kind of bizarre mirror-image moment. A lot of respect for them and also their boss. I would have taken a point before the game and during the game, so I am well pleased!

• @BlueBoy said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    Vokes held things up well

Did he? Struggling to remember more than a couple of occasions the ball stuck when lumped forward. He was isolated a lot and very well marshalled by their defence though.

Front 3 had zero impact tonight. Even McLeary struggled to break though. Doubt GA will mind though, I think his game plan resulted in what he hoped for.

There is a reason they’ve had the least shots against them other that Manchester City.

The flick on game wasn't really working for most of the second half

• A very even match between 2 very strong teams there. It really was defences on top though, both absolutely outstanding. Almost a chanceless game! JJ's free kick pretty much the only time either side came close.

Really pleased with that point, just hope we can follow it up on Saturday.

• edited October 2021

I was really disappointed with our attacking play in the second half after a promising first half. Well done to Rotherham for stifling us, I guess, and they strung some nice passing together, too, but I thought we'd got past the lack of self-belief that led to us hoofing it forwards at all times and thus conceding possession easily. I'd be surprised if Gareth thought we lacked a bit of composure with the ball there, though he won't say it in interview, of course. Happy enough with the point but I thought we had the win on the table at half-time.

• 4 points is a decent return on two long away games.

• @oxfordshirechairboy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Bloody fantastic performance. Now to do what we've been threatening to do and wipe the floor with someone on Saturday. UTW!

Defensively I’ve never seen us play so well. With the exception of Stockdale’s dropped cross didn’t think we would ever concede. The less said about our attacking performance, the better.

But our attacking performance was largely down to their defensive performance. Still need to get players more consistently in sync with Vokes to make the most of his excellent flick-ons, but I saw two very good teams stopping each other.

• I joked about it earlier, but I genuinely don't know how you put together two minutes of highlights for that. A great result, though!

• Also, that's 8/13 games away from home so far - and we've taken 11 points. Not too shabby at all.

• Very good away point. A good few days in Yorkshire now back home to AP.
    Some knocks tonight so maybe some changes for the Crewe game.
    COYB.

• @ReturnToSenda ... and 7 of those 8 are in the top half

• 2 clean sheets on the road will take that. But that wasn't great, at least we had a little go at the end.

Could be a crucial point come the end of the season.

• Nobody receiving the ball out of defence seemed prepared/able to put their foot on it. It was like a hot potato. I suppose it’s not easy when the opposition are so physical and ‘up and at ‘em’ . But a tremendous defensive display whilst under siege for most of the last 20 minutes - although we were right back in it for seven or eight minutes at the death. A very valuable point.

Agree @Malone - Thompson was well over the touchline for those last two throws. Beaney would have been proud.

• Immense defensive performance and nice bit of pressure at the end.

Anyone who claims Vokes wasn’t at the races couldn’t have been there. Three blokes pulling his shirt all game long and still won a lot - just couldn’t get anyone near enough to him.

A very good point.