Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• edited October 2021

agree @bicester_blue a city centre ground breeds interest and aids attendance I think. We aren't going to get any casual attendees.

• Maybe we can buy the Wycombe Hospital site off the NHS and build a ground there?

• This is going to sound like a backhanded compliment, but I thought what Rotherham did superbly last night was to block the runners who might have got on a Vokes flick-on. Warne clearly adapted from playing against us at the end of last year, and almost everytime the ball was in the air, if you watched McCleary, Horgan, or even Gape - they had a player just standing in the way obstructing where they could move. It's technically fouling, but it was done very subtley and quite astutely. Also meant that when Vokes was looking for where to head the ball, there was no-one with the momentum to time their run so a lot of decent headers were just ending up going to nobody. It was like watching the defensive equivalent of Bayo making space for himself 10 yards before the ball gets anywhere near him. I'd have liked to see Hanlan ten minutes earlier - he has just that bit more strength to be able to evade obstruction, and he's got the ability to be a different option to Vokes for the longer pass.

Both teams looked strong to me. I don't think many will take points off Rotherham at their place.

• 'Reading the Wycombe forum they are well chuffed about the result. Some thought it was there performance of the season. Not one mentioned the poor ref.'

For all of you on here claiming this was our performance of the season - shame on you! :smile: They knew what they were going to get, they knew the referee would give us every decision, they knew their silky skills would be stamped out and they knew they would feel sorry for every Wycombe fan who has to watch it every week. Makes you wonder why they bothered with a match thread.

• @Username said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    I think you hit the nail on the head @Username. Beaconsfield and Loudwater for instance have a great number of people who have moved out of London into the area and commute into the city on the Chiltern Line.

Exactly that, a high proportion of relatively rich commuters (not typically lower league football fans as a demographic) and older folks who were here before house prices became untenable.

Out of my school year there can't be more than 10-15% who have stayed in the area- either to move somewhere with more going on (London or other city), or move to somewhere where they can afford to buy.

From my close group of 15 or so of which almost all came along to the football at least semi regularly during school/ or at uni during holidays, only 2 of us have stayed local.

That's pretty fatal to building a fan base and I can't imagine it's anywhere near as much of a problem in Rotherham

I think I'm one of only two who's stayed local, although I think the other Wycombe supporters are still season ticket holders.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    I think you hit the nail on the head @Username. Beaconsfield and Loudwater for instance have a great number of people who have moved out of London into the area and commute into the city on the Chiltern Line.

Exactly that, a high proportion of relatively rich commuters (not typically lower league football fans as a demographic) and older folks who were here before house prices became untenable.

Out of my school year there can't be more than 10-15% who have stayed in the area- either to move somewhere with more going on (London or other city), or move to somewhere where they can afford to buy.

From my close group of 15 or so of which almost all came along to the football at least semi regularly during school/ or at uni during holidays, only 2 of us have stayed local.

That's pretty fatal to building a fan base and I can't imagine it's anywhere near as much of a problem in Rotherham

I think I'm one of only two who's stayed local, although I think the other Wycombe supporters are still season ticket holders.

I expect the problem is "worse" among us posh grammar school alumni but it's not that much better when I look at people I played football with, it just costs too much to live here- and if you're earning the sort of money that would allow you to live here comfortably, then you can afford to go somewhere with a lot more going on.

That's not really something that the ownership can sort out though! A town centre ground would undoubtedly help in getting along a lot more casual fans

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

I expect the problem is "worse" among us posh grammar school alumni but it's not that much better when I look at people I played football with, it just costs too much to live here- and if you're earning the sort of money that would allow you to live here comfortably, then you can afford to go somewhere with a lot more going on.

That's not really something that the ownership can sort out though! A town centre ground would undoubtedly help in getting along a lot more casual fans

I think you're right. Personally I can't think of anything worse than living in London, though - I'm more likely to move abroad, if I can tear myself away from the mighty Blues.

• And let's face it...life for those traditionally attracted to football gets more difficult every year...and a football ticket (even at our level) is very often not an affordable item or any sort of priority. I am an old git with a good job living in Bucks and I have to make a decision about my season ticket every season.

• Look at this bed-wetting rubbish from the Rotherham local rag ?

• @Username said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

Don't think I'd ever looked at it like this, but I'm absolutely sure you're right. Quite a conundrum.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Look at this bed-wetting rubbish from the Rotherham local rag ?

Some of it was so pathetic i laughed out loud.

• @Username as enabled a really meaningful debate here. Will we ever be able to lift our core supporter numbers above 4 to 5 thousand?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I am assuming I have become so immune to it that apart from some issues I may have with silly timewasting, I don't see us as any worse than any other team I've seen us play.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @Username as enabled a really meaningful debate here. Will we ever be able to lift our core supporter numbers above 4 to 5 thousand?

Up in the Championship with bigger teams will help increase gates...and if we can stay up and build...

• @Wendoverman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I am assuming I have become so immune to it that apart from some issues I may have with silly timewasting, I don't see us as any worse than any other team I've seen us play.

I thought Rotherham were worse than us, Mattock was lounging around on the floor for about 15 minutes.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Goodness me, he’s on Alan Swann level there! When will people realise that football is about two teams and not just one. Maybe if they had a game plan to combat this style that we sometimes play, they would have come away with three points instead of one. We couldn’t break them down, they couldn’t break us down.

• @Gary but they only failed to break us down because the referee wanted us to win...as they all do...and so turned a blind eye to our appalling gamesmanship.

• I don't dispute the suggestion that we went there to be pains in the arse - we did - but a) that's fine and b) grow up. And people wonder why no one takes local news seriously.

• I thought the ref was OK - pretty sensible and calm. But looking at the game through blue-tinted spectacles, some might argue that he could have sent off Smith in the first couple of minutes for the challenge on Scowen, and could have given Rathbone a second yellow at the end of the first half for the bodycheck/clothes-line on McCleary as the latter was racing into the box. Any impartial observer would surely have said that he was consistent in the way he dealt with fouls and injuries, wanted to keep the game going and was generally not keen to dish out cards unless he had to: pretty good attributes in a ref, I'd say.

But if you pitch up thinking that your team is going to win at a canter, it's bound to be frustrating to find that neither the opposition nor the ref were about to roll over to make that happen. Interestingly, I thought Warne called it very reasonably in those quotes, by contrast to the journalist.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    @Username as enabled a really meaningful debate here. Will we ever be able to lift our core supporter numbers above 4 to 5 thousand?

Up in the Championship with bigger teams will help increase gates...and if we can stay up and build...

I think the championship is a bit of a cut off in interesting the casuals which a commuter town like us would need. I fear traditional generational support is being killed off

• I hadn't realised Rathbone was already on a yellow when he blatantly took McCleary out when we was going past him. Yes definitely a bookable offence. I assumed he didn't book him, as he didn't book Scowen for a similar challenge minutes earlier.

The Smith tackle in the 1st minute was a dreadful challenge and whilst I thought the referee generally had a good game at any other point in the match the only debate there is whether it was a yellow or red card.

• One of the folk on their board is complaining that our match report claims their player (Ferguson) hacked down Jase.

If any of them are reading this post, this is quite literally what YOUR media team tweeted last night!

• According to this:- https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19660291.bolton-sunderland-ipswich-rank-league-one-fair-play-table/
    we are top of the league 1 Fairplay table. So where does all this nasty
    stuff come from?

• @wingnut said:
    According to this:- https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19660291.bolton-sunderland-ipswich-rank-league-one-fair-play-table/
    stuff come from?

Other teams fans won't like this at all..... apparently we are a dirty horrible team to all of them

• Although we stop teams scoring and close them down with our high press, which I really thought was part of the game and down to superb organisation, it doesn’t mean we are a dirty team and that table proves it.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@wingnut said:
    According to this:- https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19660291.bolton-sunderland-ipswich-rank-league-one-fair-play-table/
    stuff come from?

Other teams fans won't like this at all..... apparently we are a dirty horrible team to all of them

More proof (if any was needed), that Rob has been using his billons to bribe all the match officials!

• A lot of these fans seem to think we're some sort of nasty team that are so cynical, that we make Westley's Stevenage, the original Wimbledon and the Shawcross Stoke team look like some kind of cultured total football merchants.

• Lots of other local papers will see that this doesn't get mentioned. Good on the Bolton News for digging it out.

• Stewart's red card was rescinded too, and we are still #1. A change of name to Wycombe Corinthians?