Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• @Gary said:
    Thoroughly enjoyable season so far. One final point from me - Horgs will be having to win his place back now as there’s no way Hanlon doesn’t start next week.

Agreed. Hanlan allows us to transition on the ground even quicker than we already were.

• A real good team performance today.

The tackle for their penalty was outside the box. We were very much in control with some great performances.

Hanlan is a class signing and knows where the net is. GMac is amazing, Scowen and Thompson so assured in the middle. Vokes is far too good for this level and so pleased to have him at the club. JJ evergreen and the rest aren’t bad either.

COYB!!!!!

• Anyone else think Akinde still looked a right handful?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    First home league win by more than one goal sine before the pandemic

*since!

• Impressive how we played in the second half. After scoring 2, Gills pushed on and we gave away too many chances.

In the second, we barely gave them a sniff, and shouldve won 3 or 4

• The food is a shambles and they need to get a grip on the situation fast, but it's not exactly the club's fault if people spill sugar all over the place and it attracts ants.

• Yes @eric_plant, I like big John Akinde, he is a handful.

• edited October 2021

The food is a shambles and they need to get a grip on the situation fast, but it's not exactly the club's fault if people spill sugar all over the place and it attracts ants (although obviously they need to watch that).

• Comfortable home win. That just about sums it up for me. Hanlan really impressed me, had a bit of everything, pace, power and skill whereas most of our recent strikers have had a lot of one or two of those and none of the other.

On the food, the club are in a bit of a tight spot, with people having been used to overly suppressed prices for years- event food was just about double what we are used to paying- so people aren't willing to put up with sub par food even if that's now the norm elsewhere for £6/£7.

• Slight improvement on the beer front - I heard a rumour there was a small barrel of Roasted Nuts in the Vere, £5 a pint. A step in the right direction but still a long way from the match day experience of the past when the 'beer festival' operated.

• Haven't been too impressed with Akinde most of the times he's played against us although I vaguely remember him fondly from when he was with us. He's missed some sitters and pushed and shoved more than he has achieved in most of the games. Expected a bit more from their front two, Oliver has played very well against us before. They seemed more interested in smashing defenders out of the way than attacking thankfully.

• I tried the burger today and it was excellent. I liked the cheese a vast improvement on a cheese slice. It reminded me of the 3 cheese/mayo/onion fillings that are in sandwiches at supermarkets etc. The mest pattie was of the highest quality.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    I agree with your last comment, and it sums up how unlucky Horgan is. Finally gets his goal, is set to crack on, and now may have to win his place back!

Does remind a bit of the time CMS had started the season in cracking form, was rested for one week for Samuel to come in, and then never reclaimed his place over him.

Not saying Horgan won't of course, but sometimes a player grabs a chance and can't be displaced.

Given the second half against Morecambe, isn’t there an option to have all 4 in a 4-3-3 formation? Exciting.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:
    I agree with your last comment, and it sums up how unlucky Horgan is. Finally gets his goal, is set to crack on, and now may have to win his place back!

Does remind a bit of the time CMS had started the season in cracking form, was rested for one week for Samuel to come in, and then never reclaimed his place over him.

Not saying Horgan won't of course, but sometimes a player grabs a chance and can't be displaced.

Given the second half against Morecambe, isn’t there an option to have all 4 in a 4-3-3 formation? Exciting.

The beauty of having so many games coming up, is that we don't need to declare a best 11 as such.
    You'll never have everyone in form, and fresh at the same time, so plenty of fun to be had mixing and matching.

Right now it's hard to see Wheeler and Gape getting in regularly though. But things do change quickly in football.

• Real pleasure to watch today, so many big performances.... Hanlan is a exceptional player and kudos to the club for his signing. Fairly comfortable win although Gillingham were a lot better than I expected and played some good football. Coyb

• Ps good on Tom the drummer, he was up on the hill with his drum all game. Hopefully it won't be long before he's back inside.

• When was the last time we won the first 5 in a row at home? Apologies if this has already been asked on another thread. And when was the last time we won 7 in a row (counting the last 2 of last season)?

• edited October 2021

@OakwoodExile said:
    When was the last time we won the first 5 in a row at home? Apologies if this has already been asked on another thread. And when was the last time we won 7 in a row (counting the last 2 of last season)?

Had never won seven home league games in a row in the EFL (or non-League, going by the club's tweet, but maybe someone knows otherwise?).

• Last time before today we won 5+ in a row was end of 18/19 - beginning of 19/20.

• Just got in had a few beers so bare with me

Hanlan was great, but Horgan has been great so far so stays in for me.

Food is awful and the club need to sort quick. Too expensive and not great, brought a friend today who doesn't normally come and his exact words were " do you normally eat that !! After having a burger) .. I don't eat at football so I'm good

Yet to go to the MOM thread, not sure who to go for... McCleary great 1st 10, but defence great last 80

• @woodlands said:
    I tried the burger today and it was excellent. I liked the cheese a vast improvement on a cheese slice. It reminded me of the 3 cheese/mayo/onion fillings that are in sandwiches at supermarkets etc. The mest pattie was of the highest quality.

Where are you finding this amazing, edible food?!

• Game over after 7 mins today and despite the ref gifting a penalty opportunity to Gillingham when it was outside the box we saw out the game expertly and was no alarm.

Few random points

That safety test before the game was soooo loud. My ears were ringing for ages

It seem Premier League refereeing is a tiny smidgen better than our normal rubbish. Liked he talked to players but he seemed intent on a low paperwork evening and appeared to me to be phoning it in at times.

Those Gillingham fans aren’t keen on Scally are they? Did they cheer there team on once? Thought there side deserved more as they weren’t at all bad

Although the Scowen injury was the main icing of the penalty kicker I thought Stockdale refusing to move at every shimmy and stutter of the run up was the decisive factor. The kicker needed him to move and when he didn’t he ended up too close to the ball and leaned back.

And finally the weekly maze set up during the game for us to walk out through was an epic this week. Two coaches to walk around. How exciting.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

And finally the weekly maze set up during the game for us to walk out through was an epic this week. Two coaches to walk around. How exciting.

They did seem to make things a bit tight for space this week.

2 coaches blocking near the entrance, the usual coach creating a minimal bit of room next to the main stand.
    And outside, now they let a string of cars park down a lane next to the factory, it makes it quite a tight single car's width lane out.

I noticed one marshal having to use his own body to block exit from the upper car park too. Do they not use the proper barrier any more?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Game over after 7 mins today and despite the ref gifting a penalty opportunity to Gillingham when it was outside the box we saw out the game expertly and was no alarm.

Few random points

That safety test before the game was soooo loud. My ears were ringing for ages

It seem Premier League refereeing is a tiny smidgen better than our normal rubbish. Liked he talked to players but he seemed intent on a low paperwork evening and appeared to me to be phoning it in at times.

Those Gillingham fans aren’t keen on Scally are they? Did they cheer there team on once? Thought there side deserved more as they weren’t at all bad

Although the Scowen injury was the main icing of the penalty kicker I thought Stockdale refusing to move at every shimmy and stutter of the run up was the decisive factor. The kicker needed him to move and when he didn’t he ended up too close to the ball and leaned back.

Just stay and have a drink... all gone by the time I left

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@OakwoodExile said:
    When was the last time we won the first 5 in a row at home? Apologies if this has already been asked on another thread. And when was the last time we won 7 in a row (counting the last 2 of last season)?

Had never won seven home league games in a row in the EFL (or non-League, going by the club's tweet, but maybe someone knows otherwise?).

We won our first 8 home games in our last season in the conference, so a little way to go yet

• I thought Gillingham were quite limited. Two big men up front and get it up to them…looked league 2 style to me.

• I urge everyone to read the Gillingham fans forum, particularly the threads on investment. They are certainly envious of our position compared to theirs. We should surely appreciate our club in respect of our owner, the Trust nvolvement, the stadium has never looked better, the team is absolute quality and we have a brilliant manager. We should be proud of how far we’ve come.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    I thought Gillingham were quite limited. Two big men up front and get it up to them…looked league 2 style to me.

Yeah, worst side we've played this season bar Charlton based on overall performance on the day,

• @bigred87 said:
    Ps good on Tom the drummer, he was up on the hill with his drum all game. Hopefully it won't be long before he's back inside.

Won’t be coming back mate I have had enough of this club now I will not be coming back at all I am fed up with all this crap every week I don’t give 2 sh bout them ppl who are bullying me but trust me I am not coming back