Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• edited October 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    The officials did okay apart from letting a gills player foul throw repeatedly

Find me a ref that actually does pull players up for foul throws. Just drop the law and be done with it.

You'd have people throwing it in 1 armed, both feet on the pitch, all sorts if they totally dropped the law.

Not totally, but this nonsense about having to have the ball behind your head before throwing needs to be binned. And unless you've got someone who can launch them into the box, throw-ins put you at a disadvantage anyway as you're always going to be outnumbered - could see them disappear altogether in a few years. I'm with Arsène on this.

• @malone do you remember the game a few seasons ago when Beannie kept messing up his throw ins - the ref certainly picked him up on it.

• @woodlands said:
    @malone do you remember the game a few seasons ago when Beannie kept messing up his throw ins - the ref certainly picked him up on it.

Preston in the cup wasn’t it? And for some bizarre reason, we continued to let him attempt to take the throw ins!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Is he still a pal @Malone?

Haha, I was a bit annoyed to be honest.
    Reminding him that we're tier 3, and "average" or "existing" in the premier league still makes you a pretty superb player in league 1.

• @woodlands said:
    @malone do you remember the game a few seasons ago when Beannie kept messing up his throw ins - the ref certainly picked him up on it.

Yeah that was farcical.
    Why was he even taking them? Assume he was playing right back that day in an injury crisis? Normally a centre mid is nowher enear the touchline to take it

• @Malone said:

@woodlands said:

Yeah that was farcical.
    Why was he even taking them? Assume he was playing right back that day in an injury crisis? Normally a centre mid is nowher enear the touchline to take it

Didn't he play right-back and get torn a new one by Horgan?

• edited October 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@woodlands said:

Yeah that was farcical.

Didn't he play right-back and get torn a new one by Horgan?

So the game that convinced us to sign Horgan was against a desperation right back fill in :)

• I thought the ref was markedly better than usual, I thought it was a penalty at the time and watching the replay hasn't changed my mind

Personally I think rebellion IPA is dross, and rebellion lager isn't great either so I preferred the old setup, but if they can get overthrow on then happy days as that's a personal favourite

We are going up though.... I've said it

• And @uptheblues don't give up coming, you're a valued supporter, I'm sure you'd grow to love being on the terrace singing without the hassle and attention that the drum brings with it.

The drum will be controversial and not without unwanted attention at any club, wycombe aren't a special case of bad people- in fact it's because most know you love the club and have been going since you were a kid that plenty of people were dissuaded from being more vocally anti you/anti drum.

Hope you keep well and get to watch us steam roller promotion back to the championship from the terrace.

• @Gary said:

@woodlands said:

Preston in the cup wasn’t it? And for some bizarre reason, we continued to let him attempt to take the throw ins!

I had a mate with me (100% Villa) who had, until yesterday, only ever seen us lose when he’s in with me in Frank Adams. He was there for the Bean throw in debacle. But the curse is broken.

• @prufrock_91 said:

I am shocked to see people preferred the 'beer festival', which was essentially us buying heavily discounted kegs that were right on the edge of life, over the fantastic IPA. I've been crying out for Rebellion to be in the ground over the Greene King swill for the best part of a decade.

@prufrock_91 You are probably of an early vintage than many (if not all) of the Gasroom elite. These gents cut their milk teeth on the likes of Whitbread Trophy Bitter, probably at 1d 9p a pint. All these "modern" beers, with anything akin to a head of froth on, are clearly and understandable going to be unpalatable to them. Oh, and please don't start them on Wethereds Winter Brew.

• That’s the second “elite” club I’ve found myself in. Cheers @HomerLone (and 21 new pence I’ll have you know..)

• I had the misfortune to cut my milk teeth on Allbright Bitter at 23p a pint in my student days in Wales. Dreadful stuff in hindsight but deemed acceptable at the time.

• Shipstones…23p a pint

• Had the fortune to move from Wycombe to Adnams Country just at the right age. Around this time of year, Adnams Old would start to appear. Perfection in a pint glass. Not a millimetre of froth on top - until you mulled it with a poker.

• My first pint of real ale was Aylesbury Brewery Company's best bitter at 93p a pint in the White Lion, on Crendon Street.

Such was its impression on me, the next pint of real ale I drank was a full 12 years later.

• Apologies to these youngsters I seem to have misrepresented. I'd assumed you were all of a greater age. Personally I was never a fan of the Trophy Bitter, preferring their Tankard offering. Managing 6 pints for less than a pound at the Half Moon, one infamous Friday disco night c1970. Oh the folly of youth.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    I am shocked to see people preferred the 'beer festival', which was essentially us buying heavily discounted kegs that were right on the edge of life, over the fantastic IPA. I've been crying out for Rebellion to be in the ground over the Greene King swill for the best part of a decade.

Presumably you missed out on the 'beer festival' on the (admittedly quite rare) occasions when they had some of the excellent local Fisher's beer in casks, or the Rebellion Winter Royal? But I agree, I'd love to see (and drink) Rebellion beer at the ground too, but not the fizzy keg version they have now.

• I've given up and go to the Belle Vue after the game now.

• @Doob said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Presumably you missed out on the 'beer festival' on the (admittedly quite rare) occasions when they had some of the excellent local Fisher's beer in casks, or the Rebellion Winter Royal? But I agree, I'd love to see (and drink) Rebellion beer at the ground too, but not the fizzy keg version they have now.

Agree..there was some really good ales there..some weeks we had ones we had seen quite a few times but there was lots of good ones.Happy to have rebellion there but not the same ones every week plus on kegs.Surely they can slide one different rebellion one in every week.

• The lager in the Caledonian was truly shocking on Saturday, it appeared to have been mixed with the rebellion pipes. It was notably quieter in there after the game on Saturday. Frankly the Food and beverage situation is starting to backfire, people will not pay sky high prices for sub standard products.

• @ChasHarps said:
    The lager in the Caledonian was truly shocking on Saturday, it appeared to have been mixed with the rebellion pipes. It was notably quieter in there after the game on Saturday. Frankly the Food and beverage situation is starting to backfire, people will not pay sky high prices for sub standard products.

Ever been to London?

• Whilst i totally support the new owners in their quest to provide a good quality and profitable catering offering I don’t think they’ve got it right at the moment. I don’t think Man Citeh would subsidise pies yet they were able to knock out a very decent one at 3.50 and sold loads.
    The clubs seems to be struggling with price and quality at the moment on food and drink.

• @Username said:
    And @uptheblues don't give up coming, you're a valued supporter, I'm sure you'd grow to love being on the terrace singing without the hassle and attention that the drum brings with it.

The drum will be controversial and not without unwanted attention at any club, wycombe aren't a special case of bad people- in fact it's because most know you love the club and have been going since you were a kid that plenty of people were dissuaded from being more vocally anti you/anti drum.

Hope you keep well and get to watch us steam roller promotion back to the championship from the terrace.

Thanks for the nice words mate but I won’t be coming back pal won’t ever be same with out drum so sorry mate it time to leave I’ve seen the club do well over years it time to move on go enjoy my self somewhere else where I feel loved and that I can do stuff with out being told what to do and stop go stop go take care mate much love

• @uptheblues

Good luck Tom. Wherever you go, whatever you do, be yourself

• edited October 2021

@uptheblues said:

@Username said:
    And @uptheblues don't give up coming, you're a valued supporter, I'm sure you'd grow to love being on the terrace singing without the hassle and attention that the drum brings with it.

Thanks for the nice words mate but I won’t be coming back pal won’t ever be same with out drum so sorry mate it time to leave I’ve seen the club do well over years it time to move on go enjoy my self somewhere else where I feel loved and that I can do stuff with out being told what to do and stop go stop go take care mate much love

Keep well and enjoy wherever you watch football, but please do think of others as well as yourself when it comes to drumming or you'll have a repeat of what's happened at Wycombe. You'll be more happy if the people around you in the stands are supportive of you and not annoyed by the drum. Ignore outright abuse, but if there's constructive advice take it on board even if it's not exactly what you want to do- a bit of compromise is needed in life

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Shipstones…23p a pint

And you paid for it again much later in the evening I seem to recall!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I thought Lloyd for them looked like a very tidy player as well.

Seemed to me that anything good they did came through him

• edited October 2021

Idk if anyone's already mentioned, but I hope we never take the ball into the corner like that when 2+ goals ahead in stoppage time again (unless conceding a goal would knock us out of the autos on GD on the final day or something). Hopefully it was just a case of overcoming a psychological hurdle after conceding the previous three times we were 2-0 up. Fans were right to boo.

Also, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that David Stockdale's distribution is as good as most in the Champ - and quite possibly some in the PL. Absolutely outstanding yet again on Saturday.