Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• @Shev said:
    We almost always seem to go from 2-0 to 2-1 instead of 3-0. This would be a grand day to buck the trend! Gillingham look threatening going forward.

Yes, but they've got a colander for a defence. 5-0.

• We've been sucked into playing Gillingham's game a little bit since 25 - 30 minutes onwards. Another fast start to the half and we should be good enough to put them to bed - much rather we kill the game by winning 4-0 than sitting on a 2-0 lead for as long as possible!

• Pleasure to watch Vokes. Top class

• Good to hear You’re Shit Aaaaah back at its rightful home.

• And Left Side/Right Side

• Thompson great yet again! What a signing.

• Taking a while to treat this Gills player for his tantrum.

• Was going McLeary for MOTM, but Thompson and Hanlan have caused a rethink.

• Has the lino on the Frank Adams side passed the fitness test? Hasn't been up with play all game. Presumably he's the one who gave that offside v Derby.

• edited October 2021

Huzzah!

And a good decision to play the game.

• That'll do nicely! Never looked in doubt and felt like we never really moved out of 2nd gear since the first 15 - 20 minutes. What a team.

• You know what you’re getting with Steve Evans / Wouldn’t want to watch them every week / Worst team we’ve played this season.... etc etc.

• I imagine Steve’s trousers are roughly the size of a parachute nowadays

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Brownie said:

Food prices going down well I see.

Good on them. It's embarrassing from our POV really.

Hopefully something will be sorted out on the food front soon. It has never been that brilliant, but it's the first time in over 30 years that I now eat before I come out.

• You know things are going well when you come away slightly disappointed that we couldn't stretch the scoreline out a bit.

Horgan and Kaikai away, Wheeler, Gape, Grimmer and Mehmeti battling to get in the eleven.
    Looking really good.

• First home league win by more than one goal sine before the pandemic

• Can’t get used to these routine home wins. I’m scarred.

• Talking about the food inside the stadium. We bought two teas at kiosk 6 and not only were they horrible but the table with the milk and sugar on was full of ants. Will never buy a drink or food from there again. Terrible. High prices, very poor quality and disgusting surfaces at which you are expected to add milk etc.
    The Couhigs have done so much to improve the stadium but the food outlets (inside the ground) and prices are a joke.

• Result was great though!!!!

• edited October 2021

Steve Evans pre match comments overall were pretty fair.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/sport/gillingham-manager-preparing-to-face-a-prosperous-wycombe-si-255317/

Not sure we were unlucky to win at Wigan though!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Talking about the food inside the stadium. We bought two teas at kiosk 6 and not only were they horrible but the table with the milk and sugar on was full of ants. Will never buy a drink or food from there again. Terrible. High prices, very poor quality and disgusting surfaces at which you are expected to add milk etc.
    The Couhigs have done so much to improve the stadium but the food outlets (inside the ground) and prices are a joke.

Might be worth flagging to the club on email, as a real hygiene issue.

• The terrace was bouncing today. What a fantastic atmosphere and you could see what it meant to the players, especially Jase and Vokes.

As for the game itself, at times we turned on the style like I’ve never seen from a Wycombe side before. Hanlon, GMac and even Stewart had their fancy footwork on display. It was such a professional performance and we looked a threat every time we bombed forward. We’ve seen it time and time again this season, how quickly we go from back to front, and teams can’t cope with that.

I was surprised to see that the statistics painted a very even picture, goals aside, as I can’t remember them threatening really (the penalty didn’t quite join diving Danny’s in orbit) apart from Stewart keeping Stocko on his toes.

Thoroughly enjoyable season so far. One final point from me - Horgs will be having to win his place back now as there’s no way Hanlon doesn’t start next week.

• I agree with your last comment, and it sums up how unlucky Horgan is. Finally gets his goal, is set to crack on, and now may have to win his place back!

• Couldn’t make it today as was driving up and down the M1.

I was hoping to catch up on the scores via 5Live but… between 1500 and 1558 they did not once mention ANY of the EFL games taking place. Finally gave the halftime scores (bizarrely League 2 first) just as I pulled into my house.

Instead, we had the Women’s match between Man City and Man Utd until just before 1530 (fine but why not update football scores like they normally do?). Then 10 minutes summary and reaction followed by several minutes of preview of the rugby that evening, the boxing that night and the formula 1 race tomorrow with a quick bit of commentary on a horse race in between.

Really quite shocked at the total lack of interest.

By contrast tuning to Sky I was instantly greeted to the sight of Stewart(?) nearly heading an own goal, with regular updates showing clips and reassuring “‘Wycombe in total control” comments.

• Doesn’t seem that long ago either that we were looking up at Sunderland

• and Wigan and speculating that they were out of sight already

• @Shev said:
    I agree with your last comment, and it sums up how unlucky Horgan is. Finally gets his goal, is set to crack on, and now may have to win his place back!

Does remind a bit of the time CMS had started the season in cracking form, was rested for one week for Samuel to come in, and then never reclaimed his place over him.

Not saying Horgan won't of course, but sometimes a player grabs a chance and can't be displaced.

• @bookertease said:
    and Wigan and speculating that they were out of sight already

Exactly this.
    Shows the magic 2 wins in a row can bring.

Hopefully we put a few more in and get settled in the top 2 properly.