Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

14567810»

Comments

• I remember starting on a pint of Symonds, 59p a pint... I also remember the uproar when the price went up to 65p ! Simpler times

• @Glenactico said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    With regards to Vokes half time last week is pretty much the pin point moment in his Wycombe career (to date) where things changed. At half time last week I was doubting why we signed him, he was ineffective, his body language was wrong, he was missing headers that a player of his calibre should be making against what to him should be inferior players. And then we put a left back up top with him, and subsequently Hanlon and it all clicks. He produces, he creates, he holds, he influences. You talk about fine margins and this one is literally having a player just a little closer to him and the man shines. Delighted for him as once again he comes from the 'had a crappy time recently' school of signings we seem to make every summer.

Spoke to a Burnley fan a few weeks ago and his view was that Vokes is most effective in a front two (I think it was with Chris Wood then?)

I’m not too bothered if it is a front two or not myself, but the key thing is someone has to run beyond the target man when the ball goes up to him. That’s what Obita gave us against Morecombe. Otherwise the threat of a flick on header isn’t credible and we’re much easier to defend.

Weirdly Blooms sometimes used to do this job from midfield and would be the one to run ahead of Bayo when we went long. Forces their defence deeper and makes space for others.

Probably most strikers are more effective in a 2 aren't they?
    It's just that modern football has switched to this obsession with playing 3 in the midfield, so the classic big man, quick man combos aren't as prevalent these days.

• edited October 2021

Classic big man, quick man combos haven't been as prevalent for the best part of 20 years. Roles change and players change accordingly (or the type of player that comes through changes) - not sure the best like Lewandowski, Haaland etc. would be any more effective in a front two. Admittedly Vokes is more old-school and clearly not at that level haha.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Classic big man, quick man combos haven't been as prevalent for the best part of 20 years. Roles change and players change accordingly (or the type of player that comes through changes) - not sure the best like Lewandowski, Haaland etc. would be any more effective in a front two. Admittedly Vokes is more old-school and clearly not at that level haha.

Bayo/Kashket proved a pretty good big man/quick man in 2016-17 if I recall correctly. The really good run we went on that season up until Spurs away featured a lot of those two together (unless my memory has totally failed me)

• @Glenactico said:

With regards to Vokes half time last week is pretty much the pin point moment in his Wycombe career (to date) where things changed. At half time last week I was doubting why we signed him, he was ineffective, his body language was wrong, he was missing headers that a player of his calibre should be making against what to him should be inferior players. And then we put a left back up top with him, and subsequently Hanlon and it all clicks. He produces, he creates, he holds, he influences. You talk about fine margins and this one is literally having a player just a little closer to him and the man shines. Delighted for him as once again he comes from the 'had a crappy time recently' school of signings we seem to make every summer.

Spoke to a Burnley fan a few weeks ago and his view was that Vokes is most effective in a front two (I think it was with Chris Wood then?)

I’m not too bothered if it is a front two or not myself, but the key thing is someone has to run beyond the target man when the ball goes up to him. That’s what Obita gave us against Morecombe. Otherwise the threat of a flick on header isn’t credible and we’re much easier to defend.

Weirdly Blooms sometimes used to do this job from midfield and would be the one to run ahead of Bayo when we went long. Forces their defence deeper and makes space for others.

As in, how McCleary scored on Saturday? I think Vokes has been one of our most consistent performers all season. Denied by good saves at MK, Shrewsbury and yesterday

• @prufrock_91 said:

@Glenactico said:

As in, how McCleary scored on Saturday? I think Vokes has been one of our most consistent performers all season. Denied by good saves at MK, Shrewsbury and yesterday

Exactly - it can be a thankless task if the flicks don’t come off but we have to have someone running in behind.

• Ten good touches a game is bound to lead to a shot or a goal at some point. Even if Sam does not score again this season, he is a class addition.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Ten good touches a game is bound to lead to a shot or a goal at some point. Even if Sam does not score again this season, he is a class addition.

I agree and don't see why he needs to bother flicking headers on when he can see angles and lay offs other just can't. Not often he's going to create a goal lije McCleary's on Saturday.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@Glenactico said:

And a great save in the first half at Oxford too

• Thompson had a couple of shots...his confidence is obviously high!