Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• @mooneyman said:
    Linda's takings must be rocketing.

When I walked up to the ground (about 2:15) there was a huge queue, must be very happy with their business at the moment.

• Going back to the football what a good bench we had yesterday;-
    Przybek, Gape, Bayo, Wheeler, Grimmer, Parsons and Mehmeti.
    Even the bench will be hard to pick when Horgan and KaiKai come back from International duty.

• Having a six o'clock bus into town is fantastic. Time for a relaxed pint or two after a guaranteed 3 home points. Don't see why it can't pick up from car park as traffic has cleared by then but a great addition.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Better than the sugared ants ? at kiosk 6

In Columbia ants roasted with salt (not sugar) are a delicacy served on special occasions.

• Next holiday sorted then @mooneyman

• The antsy-vaxxers hoover them up

• @LX1 said:
    Having a six o'clock bus into town is fantastic. Time for a relaxed pint or two after a guaranteed 3 home points. Don't see why it can't pick up from car park as traffic has cleared by then but a great addition.

Could be ideal. Where is the pick up point for that one?

• Bus stop on Lane End Road (at end of Hillbottom Road).

• Yep, we missed the Caribbean Kitchen stand yesterday. Shame as my missus saved herself for that. Naturally I made sure 1st by having a burger outside!

• edited October 2021

@peterparrotface said:
    Good fans Gillingham, had a tough 25 years of other clubs running coaches with free weak lemon drink and crisps from their town.

Nice Fist of Fun reference there, I surely wasn't the only person to involuntarily cheer upon hearing the words 'weak lemon drink'? Oh.

• @mooneyman said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Better than the sugared ants ? at kiosk 6

In Columbia ants roasted with salt (not sugar) are a delicacy served on special occasions.

Señor Ambajador, with zese hormigas culonas you are spoiling us!

• @oxfordshirechairboy said:

@mooneyman said:
    Linda's takings must be rocketing.

When I walked up to the ground (about 2:15) there was a huge queue, must be very happy with their business at the moment.

Maybe the Couhigs have bought a 75% stake in Linda's burger van as well.

• Great win yesterday. Had the feeling after the blistering start we really didn’t need to get out of second gear to win it. And we still could’ve had a few more goals. I really feel that if we were to have a game with, to quote Deadpool, maximum effort, against one of the league’s poorer teams we could rack up a few 5 or 6-0 wins at some stage this season.

Hanlan looks a brilliant signing. Although a different position he reminds me a little bit of Kevin Betsy - ball seems to stick to him and he comes out of challenges with the ball much more often than you think he should. He looks like he can hold the ball up, run the channels and link up play was good. Bit of a selection dilemma next week!

• edited October 2021

Not sure there's much dilemma (assuming everyone's fit)! Hanlan could be devastating with a run of games. We should beat Doncaster - but we could absolutely steamroller Crewe, who look really poor defensively.

• The tweet about the car got more than three times as many impressions as anything about the actual football. Sensational stuff.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@peterparrotface said:
    Good fans Gillingham, had a tough 25 years of other clubs running coaches with free weak lemon drink and crisps from their town.

Nice Fist of Fun reference there, I surely wasn't the only person to involuntarily cheer upon hearing the words 'weak lemon drink'? Oh.

And what hobby are you doing this week?

• Ainsworth tends to keep Horgan on the bench after he's been away on international duty, so I'd be surprised if Hanlan didn't start next Saturday.

If our bench looked strong yesterday, imagine how it'll look next week!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Not sure there's much dilemma (assuming everyone's fit)! Hanlan could be devastating with a run of games. We should beat Doncaster - but we could absolutely steamroller Crewe, who look really poor defensively.

You know that Scotty Kashket will score another goal in that game , right ?

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

5-1 still counts as steamrolling, doesn't it? ?‍♂️

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Gordon_Ottershaw said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It does, but we don’t do 5-1s.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Gordon_Ottershaw said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It does, but we don’t do 5-1s.

We do against Crewe!

• Just watched the highlights and what’s great is seeing 2 players in Vokes and Hanlan who have left big clubs to take a step down to join us absolutely loving life and being Wycombe’ised. Magical place AP

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Just watched the highlights and what’s great is seeing 2 players in Vokes and Hanlan who have left big clubs to take a step down to join us absolutely loving life and being Wycombe’ised. Magical place AP

I wouldn't consider L2, Barton employing, basket case, nearly bankrupt, sinking ship Bristol Rovers to be a step up from WWFC.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Just watched the highlights and what’s great is seeing 2 players in Vokes and Hanlan who have left big clubs to take a step down to join us absolutely loving life and being Wycombe’ised. Magical place AP

I wouldn't consider L2, Barton employing, basket case, nearly bankrupt, sinking ship Bristol Rovers to be a step up from WWFC.

Ehhh. I think you are mistaken. Bristol Rovers are huge. Why would Joey say otherwise …

• @prufrock_91 said:

I am shocked to see people preferred the 'beer festival', which was essentially us buying heavily discounted kegs that were right on the edge of life, over the fantastic IPA. I've been crying out for Rebellion to be in the ground over the Greene King swill for the best part of a decade.

With you on that. I like a real ale, but that ‘festival’ was proper slop tray stuff akin to the horror of ABC Bitter. Everything was malty, nothing pale and refreshing and never a stout or porter.

I only drank it because the bar products were even worse.

Good to hear about the Roasted Nuts though. Always a good pint.

• What a deluded twat, hopefully he'll get banged up when he goes to court.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    The officials did okay apart from letting a gills player foul throw repeatedly

Find me a ref that actually does pull players up for foul throws. Just drop the law and be done with it.

You'd have people throwing it in 1 armed, both feet on the pitch, all sorts if they totally dropped the law.

• I was animatedly telling a pal about the quality we possess, ex prem in goal, up front, and in attacking mid. Complemented by Taff and Horgan, not to mention all of our one year championship boys.

He told me they were all journeymen and were fairly poor in the prem. That they "may" get us up but will lack quality in the div above.
    Couldn't believe it. What a bizarre take on things.
    Obviously hasn't done much analysis on things.

• Is he still a pal @Malone?