Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• Dev C has been very generous towards a referee who not only made a costly error but tried to cover his tracks by telling our manager that Tools had pushed his opponent. You cannot simply guess about such a crucial decision that ruined what promised to be an entertaining game.

• @DevC said:
    The referee had one chance to view the incident possibly with a hairy arsed defending running across his view at the critical moment. He made the best judgement he could at the time, presumably with the best of intent.
    If only we had a way of checking decisions real time and hence reducing referee errors that have a major impact on games.......

He made two decisions...one of which was clearly wrong even at the time.
    If he was unsighted he should surely have made neither if he had the best intent. Or given the pen and a yellow card to be on the safe side. As someone who was watching it live...the red card was the shock for me not the pen.

• I don't mind fans being incited, as what goes around comes around. I think that will probably provide an extra dose of motivation for the return fixture.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Dev C has been very generous towards a referee who not only made a costly error but tried to cover his tracks by telling our manager that Tools had pushed his opponent. You cannot simply guess about such a crucial decision that ruined what promised to be an entertaining game.

If the ref thought he saw a push, he has to give the red. It’s unfair to accuse him of misinterpreting the rules & then covering his tracks with no idea if that’s true. It was a clumsy tackle from behind as the last man. It’s hardly inconceivable that he thought he saw a push in there. We’ve benefited from many dodgier decisions than that in the past. Let’s just be grateful we won the appeal!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@HomerLone said:
    On another note. Reading through the FA rules, I noticed this:-

"A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:
    climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues.
    Gesturing or acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way"

I would have thought that Parrott's goal celebration fitted this description nicely.

If they enforced that, players would be booked after every goal scored in front of the oppo fans.

For about two weeks then they'd stop doing it.

• @Swiss_Exile said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Dev C has been very generous towards a referee who not only made a costly error but tried to cover his tracks by telling our manager that Tools had pushed his opponent. You cannot simply guess about such a crucial decision that ruined what promised to be an entertaining game.

If the ref thought he saw a push, he has to give the red. It’s unfair to accuse him of misinterpreting the rules & then covering his tracks with no idea if that’s true. It was a clumsy tackle from behind as the last man. It’s hardly inconceivable that he thought he saw a push in there. We’ve benefited from many dodgier decisions than that in the past. Let’s just be grateful we won the appeal!

If he thought he saw a push, then he's an idiot.

• @Swiss_Exile said:

@glasshalffull said:

How do you think you see a push?

That's pretty cut and dry no? You either see a push or not.

He's either had a complete guess, or got the rules wrong, both are unacceptable in a professional football League

The fact it's been overturned means it's an absolute howler

• If he wasn't sure about what he saw, he wasn't keeping up with play - which is unacceptable. Did he consult his assistant btw? Cause they should have had the perfect view.

• edited September 2021

@StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@HomerLone said:
    On another note. Reading through the FA rules, I noticed this:-

"A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:
    climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues.
    Gesturing or acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way"

I would have thought that Parrott's goal celebration fitted this description nicely.

If they enforced that, players would be booked after every goal scored in front of the oppo fans.

For about two weeks then they'd stop doing it.

You'll never stop it - just like players taking their shirts off. Admittedly Parrott probably overstepped the mark, but it's part of the game (albeit not fun when you're on the receiving end).

• No problem with Parrot's celebration so long as if he gets stick from the crowd in return he doesn't throw a hissy fit. If anything it adds a bit of spice to the game

• @Username said:
    No problem with Parrot's celebration so long as if he gets stick from the crowd in return he doesn't throw a hissy fit. If anything it adds a bit of spice to the game

As long as we stuff them and keep a clean sheet, he is welcome to have a hissy fit!

• @Swiss_Exile said:

@glasshalffull said:

A ref has to be certain. Not guess.

• @Username said:

@Swiss_Exile said:

@glasshalffull said:

How do you think you see a push?

That's pretty cut and dry no? You either see a push or not.

He's either had a complete guess, or got the rules wrong, both are unacceptable in a professional football League

The fact it's been overturned means it's an absolute howler

Bad turn of phrase on my part. He saw a push, so he had to give a red. I’m not saying it was the right decision, I’m saying it’s wrong to say he misinterpreted the rules and tried to cover his tracks.

• Real cliché bingo stuff this

• I'm told he then changed his story to that Stewart had gone through the back of him dangerously. Clearly wasn't sure, was he?

• @Swiss_Exile said:

@glasshalffull said:

I did not accuse him of misinterpreting the ‘rules’ (they are called Laws), I said that he guessed what he had seen, confirmed by Gareth saying in his post match interview that the ref said he had seen a push in the back which he clearly didn’t.

• edited September 2021

@glasshalffull said:

@Swiss_Exile said:

@glasshalffull said:

I did not accuse him of misinterpreting the ‘rules’ (they are called Laws), I said that he guessed what he had seen, confirmed by Gareth saying in his post match interview that the ref said he had seen a push in the back which he clearly didn’t.

Considering how forgiving you are of wrongs perpetuated or errors made by our team, you are remarkably intolerant of the failings of others.

• You must have watched hundreds perhaps thousands of games Alan and gave an instant opinion on what you think you have seen. Can you honesty say you have never been reasonably sure you have seen something happen only to be subsequently proven wrong by the video?

The referee made a mistake - it happens. I am sure he feels pretty bad about it now.
    Really we have two choices. Accept the reality that that will happen or utilise technology top correct those errors when they occur. Which would you prefer?

• Or professionalise refereeing in all professional football leagues

• @glasshalffull said:

@Swiss_Exile said:

@glasshalffull said:

You literally said “He makes a major error due to misinterpretation of the laws”.

Maybe your point is that you didn’t say ‘rules’, which I grant you, but it hardly matters.

• @Username said:
    Or professionalise refereeing in all professional football leagues

Far too sensible

• Good point. Professional referees never make mistakes

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

Far too sensible

Really, you don't think professionals in sport ever make mistakes?

Sometimes you just have to accept it happens or, heaven forbid, use VAR.

• @Twizz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

Far too sensible

Really, you don't think professionals in sport ever make mistakes?

Sometimes you just have to accept it happens or, heaven forbid, use VAR.

Yes, that's clearly the point @username and I are making.

• Of course professionals make mistakes, but the part-timers at our level make considerably more. The standard just is not good enough, as we all know. There's an easy solution there, but those with the power to make the change don't seem to want to.

• You would expect Championship referees to be better than lg1 referees. I seem to remember much criticism of them too last reason. What makes you believe that Scott Oldham would have made a better decision on Saturday if he was paid more?

• @DevC said:
    You would expect Championship referees to be better than lg1 referees. I seem to remember much criticism of them too last reason. What makes you believe that Scott Oldham would have made a better decision on Saturday if he was paid more?

Championship refs are better than League One - although still not good enough. But it's just bizarre that the most important person in a professional sport is not a professional themselves. It's not right.

• But we are lagging behind much of the continent in terms of officiating standards even at elite level - as I think the Euros showed quite obviously.

• Wasn't Anthony Taylor considered to have had a good Euros?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    But we are lagging behind much of the continent in terms of officiating standards even at elite level - as I think the Euros showed quite obviously.

I agree with this. We have the finest elite league in the world and the best lower divisions in the world, but these are not matched by the standard of our match officials.