Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

15678911»

Comments

• I’m quite happy to accept that referees will make mistakes during the game. Disproportionately they will affect the team you support.

As a spectator at the game you are able to vent appropriately (and loudly) at the referee, thereby providing a degree of catharsis.

Really proper refereeing mistakes will also allow you to hold a satisfying and entirely irrational grudge against your opponents for years. As I’m sure GA will be reminded of again tonight.

Being a football supporter would be a poorer experience without all that.

Yes it hurts when it impacts your team but so do howlers by your players.

In the case of last Saturday, we have the added satisfaction of being proved right so should happily draw a line under it and move on.

• As an aside. Rugby Union is experimenting with a 20 minute red card, which allows a new player to make up the full quota to try and guard against the loss of a competitive element to the game following an early sending off.

Not sure that’s a good idea but it made me think that with the cameras and technology available in the EFL it shouldn’t be that difficult to get the footage reviewed by a ‘fifth official’ (who could be miles away in a TV studio) and if a clear and obvious error has been made the red card could be rescinded within around 10 minutes.

Yes I know it is VAR but it would not impact on watching the game as you wouldn’t have to wait for the decision. And imagine the delight we would have experienced on Saturday if Stewart had been allowed to come out for the start of the second half.