Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• Admittedly there is an element of subjectivity involved but for the past 55 years or so of my life Wycombe Wanderers have been by far the greatest team the world has ever seen

• @bookertease said:
    Admittedly there is an element of subjectivity involved but for the past 55 years or so of my life Wycombe Wanderers have been by far the greatest team the world has ever seen

I would question your sanity during the Alan Smith reign though!

• I don't usually whinge about refs, but.... During the warm-up one of our guys kicked a ball which hit the ref on the ear and knocked him over. Despite JJ doing his best to apologise, I think he held a grudge.

• Really well put @bookertease and although my 31 years fail to match your 55 years, Wycombe have been a massive part of my life and given me great joy over the years. ‘ The greatest team the World has ever seen by far’

• IMO, it's hard to ever have a conversation about GOATs on players/managers of any sports/games because the information and tools the current crop have at their disposal is always improving. Look at PBs on marathons and 100m sprints. I play poker and the game is unrecognisable from the way it was played 10 or 20 years ago in the way it is analysed and studied.

Not only does Pep have all the money he needs to pick the players he wants, he also has all the analytics, video footage, a wealth of health and fitness gurus to draw on to ensure his players are at peak performance. No question that he is one of the best coaches in the world today. But very hard to compare him to past greats, it's a different skillset.

• Back to the actual match, looks like we have appealed Stewart's red and will find out in about half an hour if he can play tomorrow night.

• Very good point regarding the different skill set @JohnBoy. Never looked at it like that but it certainly makes a lot of sense.

• and it's rescinded. Good news for tomorrow.

• Stewart's red card overturned. Thanks ref...

• Yep, that is good news for tomorrow!

• This is excellent news

• Good news but the ref essentially ruined the game with a terrible decision. I usually have a fair amount of sympathy with refs given the speed of the game and all the low-level cheating but he was awful.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Stewart's red card overturned. Thanks ref...

Doesn’t put right the wrong from Saturday when he made a poor decision that had a major influence on the outcome of the game.

• Does the suspension now get transferred from Stewart to the ref?

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Stewart's red card overturned. Thanks ref...

Doesn’t put right the wrong from Saturday when he made a poor decision that had a major influence on the outcome of the game.

Exactly my point!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Does the suspension now get transferred from Stewart to the ref?

How do we go about getting this written into the regulations?

• He makes a major error due to misinterpretation of the laws of the game yet presumably suffers no punishment and will probably be officiating again this week.

• @glasshalffull said:
    He makes a major error due to misinterpretation of the laws of the game yet presumably suffers no punishment and will probably be officiating again this week.

He's down as fourth official for the Wigan game tomorrow, but I assume he'll be back in the middle at the weekend.

• I have just found out that it is possible to want to beat the franchise more than I already did. Jan 29th 2022 is the date.

• Not only a major influence on the outcome of this particular game but maybe on our whole season. If we were to miss promotion or the play-offs by a point or two then we will look back on the MK result as a major reason. Maybe in this instance VAR may have helped - god forbid.

• The referee had one chance to view the incident possibly with a hairy arsed defending running across his view at the critical moment. He made the best judgement he could at the time, presumably with the best of intent. Subsequent review of the video of the incident has shown that judgement to be wrong.

Unless that particular referee has a record of making bad decisions regularly, I see no case for suspending or retraining him. He just made a mistake.

If only we had a way of checking decisions real time and hence reducing referee errors that have a major impact on games.......

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Not only a major influence on the outcome of this particular game but maybe on our whole season. If we were to miss promotion or the play-offs by a point or two then we will look back on the MK result as a major reason. Maybe in this instance VAR may have helped - god forbid.

I’m sure we’ll get some go our way through the season. Either in our matches or those involving top of the table rivals.

• On another note. Reading through the FA rules, I noticed this:-

"A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:
    climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues.
    Gesturing or acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way"

I would have thought that Parrott's goal celebration fitted this description nicely.

• I've just watched Gareth's interview again. Talk about being vindicated about the decision to send off Anthony Stewart. As usual, despite the unusual emotion shown by Gareth, his comments are fair and balanced (and now proven to be right). He is a class act.

• edited September 2021

@HomerLone said:
    On another note. Reading through the FA rules, I noticed this:-

climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues.

I would have thought that Parrott's goal celebration fitted this description nicely.

If they enforced that, players would be booked after every goal scored in front of the oppo fans.

• Presuming there is a fee when clubs appeal red cards..what happens if you win..fee reimbursed?

• If only there was another official keeping up with play not hindered by @DevC 's hairy arsed defender who might have helped the referee out...

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Not only a major influence on the outcome of this particular game but maybe on our whole season. If we were to miss promotion or the play-offs by a point or two then we will look back on the MK result as a major reason. Maybe in this instance VAR may have helped - god forbid.

Another case for Rob C, legal eagle?

(No I’m not serious)

• edited September 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@HomerLone said:
    On another note. Reading through the FA rules, I noticed this:-

If they enforced that, players would be booked after every goal scored in front of the oppo fans.

Play that Darius Charles celebration in front of the Sunderland fans again.... :smile:

• @DevC said:
    The referee had one chance to view the incident possibly with a hairy arsed defending running across his view at the critical moment. He made the best judgement he could at the time, presumably with the best of intent. Subsequent review of the video of the incident has shown that judgement to be wrong.

Unless that particular referee has a record of making bad decisions regularly, I see no case for suspending or retraining him. He just made a mistake.

If only we had a way of checking decisions real time and hence reducing referee errors that have a major impact on games.......

There's a difference between getting a marginal decision wrong (ie did a player get a toe on the ball or not), and not implementing the rules properly.

There's no way none of the four officials could have seen that tackle and not thought Stewart was going for the ball, it's just ridiculous and he should be relegated to non league