Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

Comments

• Abingdon used to be the County Town of Berkshire until it's 1974 move to Oxfordshire.

That's some fall from grace ...

• Long Crendon also played an earlier home game in the comp at Thame.

• Biggest game of the season so far this

• It's got everything, new club, new ground, tier 10 v tier 3, chance to see our Development players, some for the first time.

• If your are in the Wanderers 1887 rather an the 1884 formation camp.
    Then Long Crendon are a year older than the Wanderers.

• @Twizz said:
    Abingdon used to be the County Town of Berkshire until it's 1974 move to Oxfordshire.

There are still some in Abingdon who talk of 'occupied Berkshire'...

• @ChasHarps said:
    If your are in the Wanderers 1887 rather an the 1884 formation camp.
    Then Long Crendon are a year older than the Wanderers.

Talking of 1884, I note that the 'Wycombe Til I Die' banner now displayed at the top of the Frank Adams Stand, has 1884 covered over.

Although a committed 1887er (what evidence we have is overwhelming), I rather regret that. The full banner is integral to the memories of Villa Park 2001.

• We must be the only club for to have played its centenary game three years early! (for those too young, Leicester City including Mr Lineker in 1984 0-0) it is understood the real reason the game was played early was to allow for Wycombe time.

• How many times have Wycombe won this?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Didcot,Henley and Abingdon are all in Oxon and play in the B&B.
    So this rule is pretty much ignored.

The FA County lines don't make sense! The Berks & Bucks FA Office is based in Abingdon!

• @peterparrotface said:
    How many times have Wycombe won this?

Found this online, don't know how accurate it is now.

Wycombe Wanderers 29
    Maidenhead United 22
    Chesham United 16
    Slough Town 15
    Marlow 13
    Windsor & Eton 12
    Aylesbury United 4
    Wokingham Town 4
    Reading 3
    Chesham Town 2
    Reading Amateurs 2

• @HolmerBlue cheers, I remember hearing the song “28 times, 28 times” but those fans seemed historically unreliable at best.

• @peterparrotface said:
    How many times have Wycombe won this?

28 - see the Chairboys Honours Board:

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/honours.htm

I personally say 27 plus one B & B Emergency Senior Cup win in 1940, but I have no quibble with 28. This does not include the infamous 'win' in 1975 when Thatcham Town were subsequently classified as 'holders'.

The B & B Wiki page has our wins at 29, I can only think that they have included the 1975 'win'.

See the 2019 online Final programme for the complete list of winners:

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/berks-bucksfa/files/county-cup-docs/2018-19/programmes/senior-cup-final-programme-18_19.ashx

That was the last year it took place and Ollie Pendlebury was a 60th minute sub for Reading when they lost 3-1 to Slough Town at Bracknell.

In the latest The Wanderer, there is an excellent interview with Sam Grace, the Development Squad Coach (well done @Jonny_King for that). When asked about winning the B & B, Sam says: "We will give our all to achieve number 30!". One too many.

I am not sure what the club think the figure is, they used to have an honours page on the official site but I can't find it now.

• Thanks Steve!

• To be fair, didn’t we win in 1975 only to be disqualified after the fact?

• As a lad won BB youth cup in Oxfordshire against Wallingford, beating mainly Oxon and Berks teams along the way

• @floyd said:
    To be fair, didn’t we win in 1975 only to be disqualified after the fact?

Yes, we won the game 4-0, after extra time, but not the cup, after refusing to accept it after the game. It was subsequently awarded to Thatcham. A protest at not being allowed to enter the London Senior Cup by the B & B FA, details here.

The fans gathered outside the stand, it took a while to realise that the team were not coming out and we all started singing "We want to play in the London Senior Cup". That was a very prestigious competition at the time, with other teams from outside of London allowed to enter by their County FA.

• edited January 2022

Cheers @Steve_Peart

I take it back about that song. Went something like:

We won it two times, we won it two times, oh the FA Trophy, we won it two times.

Repeated with The London Evening Standard Five a sides. And finally

28 times etc

• @Steve_Peart said:

@floyd said:

Yes, we won the game 4-0, after extra time, but not the cup, after refusing to accept it after the game. It was subsequently awarded to Thatcham. A protest at not being allowed to enter the London Senior Cup by the B & B FA, details here.

The fans gathered outside the stand, it took a while to realise that the team were not coming out and we all started singing "We want to play in the London Senior Cup". That was a very prestigious competition at the time, with other teams from outside of London allowed to enter by their County FA.

Happy days. Still the most surreal 2 1/2 hours I’ve ever spent at a football match

• @Steve_Peart said:
    It's got everything, new club, new ground, tier 10 v tier 3, chance to see our Development players, some for the first time.

Good chance for some fringe players to get a full 90 too. Bet De Barr will be itching to start a game instead of being a 93rd minute sub.

• Yep, I'd expect all the u23s that can play to play

• edited January 2022

@bookertease said:

@Steve_Peart said:

@floyd said:

Happy days. Still the most surreal 2 1/2 hours I’ve ever spent at a football match

Surreal it was. The match had the most bizarre refereeing performance I have ever seen. Keith Mead sent off for swearing at his own player, two perfectly good goals scored by Wycombe, only for the referee to blow up afterwards for both, and instead award free kicks to Wycombe.

I remember writing to B & B Secretary Charles Twelftrees after the game, saying how unfair it was that we were not allowed to enter the London Senior Cup. It really mattered in those days! I received no reply. His name lives on with the Charles Twelftrees Trophy, "for all other Saturday clubs with First Teams in Regional Feeder Leagues and below."

• I was pretty young around the Thatcham game and didn’t really get the London Senior Cup issue. Looking back now and the finalists either side of Thatcham were Enfield, Hitchin, Wimbledon, Bishops Stortford, Walton, Leatherhead, Barking Staines - feels a bit like an Isthmian League Cup. Why was it considered such a big deal?

• That's a good way to look at it @DevC, more prestigious than a league cup, perhaps, and Wimbledon were in the Southern League. I think we felt left out of a club of the best teams in and around London, even though we played them in the league.

Looking back, the rivalry we had with teams like Enfield, Hendon, Dagenham, Slough, Ilford, Tooting, Stortford, Leatherhead, Leytonstone and Walton & Hersham, was intense and, at times, bitter and violent. Any chance to play them was eagerly anticipated. I don't think we have had that widespread rivalry, at such a keen level, since then.

• @Twizz said:
    Abingdon used to be the County Town of Berkshire until it's 1974 move to Oxfordshire.

Not so - Abingdon ceased to be Berkshire's county town in 1867 when Reading took on the mantle.

• Need to take at least 300 to this, give Long Crendon some cash and a step towards the twenty niner

• Really looking forward to this game, my oldest lad plays for Long Crendon. Travelling down from North Yorkshire for this one, seeing as I no longer live in Wendover.

• edited January 2022

@LordMandeville said:

@Twizz said:

Not so - Abingdon ceased to be Berkshire's county town in 1867 when Reading took on the mantle.

Relegated in stages, rather than dumped completely in a single move, does seem less harsh on Abingdon.
    When I posted the original comment I was going to draw an analogy to Derby's fall from grace!