Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• @jessvl1 said:
    I’m hoping Sunderland go up this year and just get out of the league. Can see their ground being a real bogey one for us otherwise if we keep on getting hammered there.

Main take-outs for me:

• Stewart for me is the one player that is irreplaceable

• We can’t play both Grimmer AND Jacobson as CBs

• I think we need to be playing 2 up top to support Vokes more

Looking forward to hopefully getting that game out of our system with Ipswich.

Final comment - I suspect O’Nien was as every bit as cheeky when he played for us. Sunderland haven’t ruined him, it’s just that it’s human nature to see his gamesmanship more when we’re coming up against him.

Have you written off the idea of us going up?

• edited August 2021

I know you don't like it when I say it but I'll say it again: Mehmeti is not ready for the first team. It's all very well being skillful but he needs to mature the hell up because at the moment he's a liability. We all know Luke's style - he sets out to wind people up from the moment a match starts - little comments, neck pinches, falling on the floor at the softest touch, whatever. We delighted when opponents reacted to it and got themselves carded. No one in the Wycombe team should let themselves get into a position where they fall for it.

When fit we have Horgan, McCleary, Wheeler and Kaikai who can all play behind a central striker. It will serve Mehmeti well to spend some time maturing in the reserves.

• edited August 2021

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/sunderland-v-wycombe-match-thread.1558929/page-45

Amongst the sea of dross on their site, this page has good footage of the goals. Well, their goals at least.

Looks like we were fairly lucky not to give a pen away at 3-0 too.

• Potential starters missing from starting line up today: Stewart, McCleary, McCarthy, Gape and Wheeler. I think that would stretch any squad to the limit.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Potential starters missing from starting line up today: Stewart, McCleary, McCarthy, Gape and Wheeler. I think that would stretch any squad to the limit.

Losing away at Sunderland isn't something to worry too much about.
    As long as we can hit back next time out. And I don't mean Tuesday!

• You’re reminded how good Wheeler is from just a couple of minutes of him being brought on. Don’t underestimate how many injuries we have at the moment to crucial players. When this squad is back to full strength, it will be the best in the division.

• It won't always work - there will be games when we need another out-and-out CB in there - but three at the back with Grimmer and JJ as outside CBs worked to pretty good effect last season... The bigger issue is the knock-on effect of injuries at wing-back - but I'm sure we'll overcome that in time as players grow into a new role. I thought Kaikai, to his credit, did reasonably well today against one of the best wingers in the league (although we could do with McCarthy back sooner rather than later...).

• edited August 2021

@aloysius said:
    I know you don't like it when I say it but I'll say it again: Mehmeti is not ready for the first team. It's all very well being skillful but he needs to mature the hell up because at the moment he's a liability. We all know Luke's style - he sets out to wind people up from the moment a match starts - little comments, neck pinches, falling on the floor at the softest touch, whatever. We delighted when opponents reacted to it and got themselves carded. No one in the Wycombe team should let themselves get into a position where they fall for it.

When fit we have Horgan, McCleary, Wheeler and Kaikai who can all play behind a central striker. It will serve Mehmeti well to spend some time maturing in the reserves.

Change the record...

• @aloysius said:

Possible, but I'd have Mehmeti over Horgan at the moment. Has a player promised so much and delivered so little. Probably over harsh, time for a pint. Grimmer was pretty bad too but plugged away out of position. Maybe the to rest the back 3 for a week or two. Or maybe we'll be ok against lesser teams.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    You’re reminded how good Wheeler is from just a couple of minutes of him being brought on. Don’t underestimate how many injuries we have at the moment to crucial players. When this squad is back to full strength, it will be the best in the division.

It won't be the best - but we should definitely still be competing for autos.

• I'm hoping Sunderland blow promotion again and have to spend another season in League 1 to anger their deluded fans who think they should be in The Premier League.

• It doesn't excuse Mehmeti's actions, but I'm curious to see what O'Nien did to provoke him. He really is an irritant.

• edited August 2021

@StrongestTeam said:

@aloysius said:

Possible, but I'd have Mehmeti over Horgan at the moment. Has a player promised so much and delivered so little. Probably over harsh, time for a pint. Grimmer was pretty bad too but plugged away out of position. Maybe the to rest the back 3 for a week or two. Or maybe we'll be ok against lesser teams.

Horgan definitely isn't anything like the player we thought we'd signed, but he's already got 3 assists this year, which I think beats last year's tally!

McCleary was a big miss today as he's our best attacking mid by a long way.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It doesn't excuse Mehmeti's actions, but I'm curious to see what O'Nien did to provoke him. He really is an irritant.

He grabbed the back of Mehmeti's neck but if someone hit me with that soft punch and i hit the floor i'd be ashamed.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It doesn't excuse Mehmeti's actions, but I'm curious to see what O'Nien did to provoke him. He really is an irritant.

Thought someone posted the clip on a previous page.
    Looks like he was holding him back strongly, and potentially by the neck.

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Yeah, took me a couple of watches but can see he might have grabbed the back of his neck. Still, you don't react like that. But I'm sure Gaz and Dobbo will knock some sense into him / let him rot in the non-existent reserves with the other self-centred Millennials... (hoping the sarcasm/reference comes through here).

• How pious are you trying to sound?

• @Malone said:

@jessvl1 said:
    I’m hoping Sunderland go up this year and just get out of the league. Can see their ground being a real bogey one for us otherwise if we keep on getting hammered there.

Main take-outs for me:

Final comment - I suspect O’Nien was as every bit as cheeky when he played for us. Sunderland haven’t ruined him, it’s just that it’s human nature to see his gamesmanship more when we’re coming up against him.

Today I have, but no doubt after we knock a few past Aston Villa U23s I’ll be feeling much more positive.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Yeah, took me a couple of watches but can see he might have grabbed the back of his neck. Still, you don't react like that. But I'm sure Gaz and Dobbo will knock some sense into him / let him rot in the non-existent reserves with the other self-centred Millennials...

Yep, a few weeks banned from his mobile, and forced to watch videos of Cousins/Carroll/Ryan/Brownie and how they conducted themselves.

Well..apart from the sprinting 2 footer, and headbutts of course.

• @jessvl1 said:

@Malone said:

@jessvl1 said:

Main take-outs for me:

Today I have, but no doubt after we knock a few past Aston Villa U23s I’ll be feeling much more positive.

We were never going to drill our way past everyone all season, so it's not too alarming just yet.
    But we need to hit back asap.

• edited August 2021

@eric_plant said:
    How pious are you trying to sound?

You're fine with our players swinging punches, are you?

• Thanks for answering my question, seemingly "very"

• @ReturnToSenda He was just trying to precipitate the 22-man brawl you were looking forward to so much.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Probably just Luke doing the things that Luke does. Things that we loved to see him do when he was playing for Wycombe.

It seemed to me like a very inexperienced player being wound up by a slightly more street-wise pro. Mehmeti has talent but needs to learn from days like today.

That fire is a good thing to have in his belly, but even Rooney in his angry prime didn’t go around punching people.

• @eric_plant said:
    Thanks for answering my question, seemingly "very"

I'll take that as a 'yes' then. Interesting from someone who takes such issue with acts as innocuous as not giving the ball back.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hope we smash them and it ends in a 22-man (+ coaching staff) brawl.

• 28 years ago you'd have been furiously writing to the Bucks Free Press about Jason Cousins

• @our_frank said:
    @ReturnToSenda He was just trying to precipitate the 22-man brawl you were looking forward to so much.

That could have been fun - although we all know football brawls are nothing more than pushing and shoving (apart from that one at the Nice - Marseille game the other day!).

• Different subject but in terms of lack of communication on injuries, I agree it can be frustrating but I don’t think anything tangibly changes if we were to get more communication. It wouldn’t stop the fact that injured players won’t play, and fit ones will.

Matt Cecil would have been briefed on what he could say today, and the club know that the most hardcore fans will be listening to the comms and / or getting the news through on here, so in my view the club are kind of communicating to us, just not in plain sight on our Twitter feed.

• @jessvl1 said:
    Different subject but in terms of lack of communication on injuries, I agree it can be frustrating but I don’t think anything tangibly changes if we were to get more communication. It wouldn’t stop the fact that injured players won’t play, and fit ones will.

Matt Cecil would have been briefed on what he could say today, and the club know that the most hardcore fans will be listening to the comms and / or getting the news through on here, so in my view the club are kind of communicating to us, just not in plain sight on our Twitter feed.

It's the inconsistency that frustrates people. I don't think there'd be such an issue if they said absolutely nothing at all on injuries.