Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Sunderland fans claiming Scowen punched O'Nien. Which I'm inclined to completely disregard, but can anyone actually confirm?

Is that Scowen? Definite punch, though O'Nien threw his head forward.

• Missing GRACE so much, that final ball is non existent, we need to change and what is the point of buying Kaikai and playing him totally out of position??

• Mehmeti, surely?

• @Shev Yeah, it's Mehmeti.

• It's a "Punch" of sorts, but not enough force to take a grown man to the floor. But as much as we loved O Nien we all knew he was at best someone who "made the most" of contact.

Mehmeti needs to wise up a bit though. Could easily have been a red, guaranteed a defeat, potentially heavier than this, and seen 3 games on the sidelines.

• No excuse for that. It's annoying that one of players has played into the dirty Wycombe stereotype that profoundly.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    Missing GRACE so much, that final ball is non existent, we need to change and what is the point of buying Kaikai and playing him totally out of position??

GMac not GRACE!

• That's going to be a seriously long ban as well

• GMac does play with absolute Grace!

• Young Anis was lucky to get away with that one

• This has all the makings of Sunderland crowing at us till we get them back at Our House, full strength.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Sunderland fans claiming Scowen punched O'Nien. Which I'm inclined to completely disregard, but can anyone actually confirm?

He went down like he'd been punched but think he brushed past him at worse, TV might show different. All a bit odd today after promising 10 mins. Right side doesn't work at all and Vokes is expected to knock down balls from all angles to himself.
    I'd expect Mehmeti or Horgan to depart for Bayo before long, might weaken midfield but we aren't getting any joy anyway.
    As for them wedging us into a block by the roof it shouldn't be allowed tbh

• @Malone said:
    It's a "Punch" of sorts, but not enough force to take a grown man to the floor. But as much as we loved O Nien we all knew he was at best someone who "made the most" of contact.

Mehmeti needs to wise up a bit though. Could easily have been a red, guaranteed a defeat, potentially heavier than this, and seen 3 games on the sidelines.

I think it will be a lot longer than three. A punch is a punch; let's take our blue-tinted specs off.

• edited August 2021

O'Nien has now been gone long enough to be completely annoying. I realize JJ is the only Wycombe player on the pitch he played with, aside from perhaps a couple of games from Curtis.

• Can he be banned even though the officials missed it on the field of play?

I could certainly see GA dropping him for a game for ill-discipline...

• @Malone said:

@micra said:

@floyd said:
    If Stewart is injured, and it beats the alternative, we have to wonder why we’re picking up so many injuries this season.

Call me thick but me no understand “ beats the alternative “.

That he's been sold.

The usual go to ludicrous knee jerk fan fear.

Nature abhors a vacuum. And it’s unlikely, but hardly ludicrous.

• edited August 2021

@Erroll_Sims said:
    Can he be banned even though the officials missed it on the field of play?

Yes as it's violent conduct (at best).

• Thanks Tom - wasn't sure what could or couldn't be ruled on if the match officials miss it

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Thanks Tom - wasn't sure what could or couldn't be ruled on if the match officials miss it

That said, just had a look at previous bans for punches and found a couple (Dele Alli and a certain J. Barton) which were both three-gamers.

• edited August 2021

Not entirely sure why we're all getting so stressed about a trolling Sunderland fan on here. So Scowen didn't play well for them? He was moved on from QPR too, and their loss is our gain. He clearly fits a more working midfield than how Lee Johnson would like to play. How many times have we moved a player on who has performed elsewhere? I recall Junior Morias showed nothing when he played a few times for us, then went on to play well at Peterborough.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    It's a "Punch" of sorts, but not enough force to take a grown man to the floor. But as much as we loved O Nien we all knew he was at best someone who "made the most" of contact.

I think it will be a lot longer than three. A punch is a punch; let's take our blue-tinted specs off.

We're not talking Paul Davis smashing Cockerill's jaw into pieces years back and getting a proper long term ban.
    I can't see that more than a 3 match ban.

• Intent the only thing that matters, but does he actually make contact with any part of his body? Let alone his face.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Erroll_Sims said:
    Can he be banned even though the officials missed it on the field of play?

Yes as it's violent conduct (at best).

Violent conduct has a 3 match ban.
    Unless it's something particularly out of order, like a Suarez bite, or Ben Thatcher elbow.
    A powder puff Mehmeti semi punch wouldn't make any headlines.

Being league 1 we will probably get away with it anyway.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

We're not talking Paul Davis smashing Cockerill's jaw into pieces years back and getting a proper long term ban.

I had it in my head that Barton had got a much longer ban for a punch - but then he's kind of a special case... Probably only three, yeah.

• edited August 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

I had it in my head that Barton had got a much longer ban for a punch - but then he's kind of a special case... Probably only three, yeah.

Just don't draw too much attention to it in all your reports you splash around the internet ;)

Barton got a long ban, but then he had a few punches, butts and general nobbery against City that time.
    And is obviously Barton, a guy with a crime sheet longer than time itself.

• I’ll defend the indefensible. O9 grabbed his neck just before he lashed out. A neck pinch may have made his feel like swinging an arm.
    Fire when ready

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I’ll defend the indefensible. O9 grabbed his neck just before he lashed out. A neck pinch may have made his feel like swinging an arm.
    Fire when ready

O Nien definitely inflamed it, nothing more frustrating for a flair player than some hack grappling them off the ball.

But it wouldn't be any real justification for a red card and 3 match ban stewing.

• No justification whatsoever. He's young, and he'll learn, but it's really, really bad.

• we really need to get a plan B in place ...

• Twitter have already got the footage taken down. Imagine if they took such a serious stance on the real problems.